Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Science Trivia

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Default Re: Science Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by The Doppler Effect View Post
    Thanks for the Info
    Well go on and ask a question silly!
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Well go on and ask a question silly!
    oops. sorry

What is "ball lightning"? (more than a simple definition please)

Good luck!

oops. sorry
    No worries!

And that's an easy question, ball lightning is supposedly lightning that occurs in small to large spherical shapes, various scientific explanations have been put forward to explain it, but there is still no official explanation held by the scientific community. In fact, there is still debate as to whether ball lightning even exists! (Interesting debate in 11th grade physics, my side lost though )
    Civitate

No worries!

And that's an easy question, ball lightning is supposedly lightning that occurs in small to large spherical shapes, various scientific explanations have been put forward to explain it, but there is still no official explanation held by the scientific community. In fact, there is still debate as to whether ball lightning even exists! (Interesting debate in 11th grade physics, my side lost though )
    I believe you are correct...although i have some suppositions as to how to create and maintain it.

Your turn

Quote Originally Posted by The Doppler Effect View Post
    I believe you are correct...although i have some suppositions as to how to create and maintain it.

Your turn
    Suppositions? Ok, I only remember one and it's the fringe theory! Some physicists have proposed that ball lightning is caused by microscopic black holes traveling through the atmosphere.

My question,

How does the ratio between predator and prey in the Mesozoic support the theory that dinosaurs were warm blooded? Be as thorough as you can!
    Civitate

How does the ratio between predator and prey in the Mesozoic support the theory that dinosaurs were warm blooded? Be as thorough as you can!
    Elementary my dear Nikos.

The higher metabolisms of warm blooded animals affects the predator pray ratio. Warm blooded predators need to eat more often than cold blooded ones, due to higher metabolic needs. Being that the predator prey ratio we can get from the fossil record is similar to what we see today in warm blooded ecosystems, its surmised that dinosaurs may have been warm blooded as well.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Elementary my dear Nikos.

The higher metabolisms of warm blooded animals affects the predator pray ratio. Warm blooded predators need to eat more often than cold blooded ones, due to higher metabolic needs. Being that the predator prey ratio we can get from the fossil record is similar to what we see today in warm blooded ecosystems, its surmised that dinosaurs may have been warm blooded as well.
    Correct! Your turn Phier!

In ecosystems where the top tier predators were cold blooded, the ratio between predators and prey was about equal, due to the cold blooded predator's metabolism being so slow, they did not need to eat as much. In ecosystems where the top tier predators are warm blooded, there are dramatically more prey animals then predator animals. This is due to the warm blooded predators need to feed often and regularly to be able to support their furnace of a metabolism.

It's not always easy to find food, so many warm blooded predators die off due to the dangers of fighting prey and the difficulty of catching it. Whereas a cold blooded predator could live off of a kill for months on end, warm blooded predators can only live on a kill for days. In Africa, the ratio between predators and prey is 1:174, in the mesozoic, while not as lopsided as this, the ratio was still heavily biased in the prey's favor.
    Last edited by Nikos; September 15, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Civitate

What animal am I thinking of.

It has three sex chromosomes.
    Was once thought to fall like rain.
    Is known for 'Jim Jones' like behavior, even though its a Disney lie.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

What animal am I thinking of.

It has three sex chromosomes.
    Was once thought to fall like rain.
    Is known for 'Jim Jones' like behavior, even though its a Disney lie.
    Hmm, a toad?
    Civitate

Hmm, a toad?

My shameful truth.

LOL, that's all I got. Knowing you Phier it's probably some little beetle or worm.
    Last edited by Nikos; September 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
    Civitate

LOL, that's all I got. Knowing you Phier it's probably some little beetle or worm.
    I think someone will get this one. I made this one far less...esoteric.

My shameful truth.

I was just browsing through this thread and this last question intrigued me.

After some search in the internet (sry didn't even know Jim Jones...) I'll guess:
    The lemmings?

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios2008 View Post
    I was just browsing through this thread and this last question intrigued me.

After some search in the internet (sry didn't even know Jim Jones...) I'll guess:
    The lemmings?
    Lemmings it is.

They have 3 sex chromosomes, XYW. The W is an modified X which will kill any WY's forcing the sex ratio to more females than males.

Back in the days of spontaneous generation they thought they formed in the sky from the wind and rain.

Jim Jones and his cult committed mass suicide in the 70's. Lemmings were thought to commit mass suicide and it was even faked for a 1958 Disney film White Wilderness. While lemmings have population explosions and crashes, they don't commit mass suicide.

My shameful truth.

Ok, so I guess I have to ask a question now. I can't think of anything better right now. What was the first recorded flying device?

Ok, so I guess I have to ask a question now. I can't think of anything better right now. What was the first recorded flying device?
    The Wright brothers' airplane.
    Civitate

The Wright brothers' airplane.
    Nope

What I am looking for is a mechanical self-propelled device which was recorded to have flown (unmanned) for a relatively short distance, like a couple of hundred metres; this happened a looong time before the Wrights.

Nope

What I am looking for is a mechanical self-propelled device which was recorded to have flown (unmanned) for a relatively short distance, like a couple of hundred metres; this happened a looong time before the Wrights.
    The steam powered device constructed by John Stringfellow in Somerset in 1849?
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

Nope

The Dirigible
    Civitate

Do Chinese rockets count as mechanical?

My shameful truth.