Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Science Trivia

Default Re: Science Trivia

The Tautara has a double row of top teeth and the lower teeth fit inbetween the double row. Unique to vertebrates as far as I know.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

a sagittal crest?

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Correct Phier! Your turn!
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Why is it that for most species the sex ratio is 1-1 and what is different in those where it is not?
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

I think I broke the chain again

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Why is it that for most species the sex ratio is 1-1 and what is different in those where it is not?
    As to the first, dynamic equilibrium.

As to the second, many many things. One instance would be certain species of spider, like the black widow, which has a tendency to kill suitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Playfishpaste View Post
    As to the first, dynamic equilibrium.
    More specific please

As to the second, many many things. One instance would be certain species of spider, like the black widow, which has a tendency to kill suitors.
    More general please. The black widow's propensity to kill mates is highly exaggerated and their sex ratios at hatching are unknown. The question is why would the sex ratio not be 1-1 for say elephant seals but is 1-1 in humans.

My shameful truth.

well for elephant seals i'd say serious sexual dimorphism, which might lead to dominance hierarchies, like gorilla groups, for example, one male, a group of females, a few juvenile males hanging around.

More specific please
    If you get more dudes who are prone to making dudes then the dudes won't have enough girls and they'll die out, then the girls will take over.

This has since demonstrated itself to not be the case, but it's what I assume you're getting at.

More general please. The black widow's propensity to kill mates is highly exaggerated and their sex ratios at hatching are unknown. The question is why would the sex ratio not be 1-1 for say elephant seals but is 1-1 in humans.
    How about ants?

Or maybe that's too obvious.

basically any polyamorus species would fit into this, but humans can arguably be called polyamorous in some eras. So I guess I really don't know what you're getting at.

SorelusImperion's Avatar Vicarius

The fenestrae (at least thats's what I think who these large "holes" are called) ?
    Frederick II of Prussia: "All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
    Norge: "Give me a break. Nothing would make you happier than to see the eagle replaced with a crescent."

Ummon:"enforcing international law will require that the enforcers do not respect it"
    Olmstead v USA:"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means-to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal-would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face."

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who can't defend themselfs.
    When you stand before god you can not say "I was told by others to do this" or that virtue was not convenient at the time

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Quote Originally Posted by SorelusImperion View Post
    The fenestrae (at least thats's what I think who these large "holes" are called) ?
    The Tuatara question has been answered already man.
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

If you get more dudes who are prone to making dudes then the dudes won't have enough girls and they'll die out, then the girls will take over.

This has since demonstrated itself to not be the case, but it's what I assume you're getting at.
    Correct enough. Basically if the cost of making males is the same as making females, any shift in equilibrium will favor the other sex. Even in cases where the species are polygamous.

How about ants?

Or maybe that's too obvious.

basically any polyamorus species would fit into this, but humans can arguably be called polyamorous in some eras. So I guess I really don't know what you're getting at.
    The issue is with cost again. In species where its cheaper to make one sex over another, due to size or whatever, you will see an unbalanced sex ratio based on that difference.

You were pretty close to correct, and were correct for part one so your turn!

My shameful truth.

Correct enough. Basically if the cost of making males is the same as making females, any shift in equilibrium will favor the other sex. Even in cases where the species are polygamous.

The issue is with cost again. In species where its cheaper to make one sex over another, due to size or whatever, you will see an unbalanced sex ratio based on that difference.

You were pretty close to correct, and were correct for part one so your turn!
    Yay for my ineptitude.

Alrighty, now I need to think of a question...

Ah, why do cyclotrons require beam focusing?

Yay for my ineptitude.
    Don't feel bad its not an easy question, no one else even tried

My shameful truth.

Don't feel bad its not an easy question, no one else even tried
    For someone who studied biology I should be pretty down though, lol.

For someone who studied biology I should be pretty down though, lol.
    I have 3 degrees in biology, including 2 advanced ones, and this stuff was barely covered. I only know it because of my reading AFTER my degrees.

A good one to refresh yourself on is 'The Red Queen' by Matt Ridley, you can find it on Amazon or a lot of bigger book stores.

My shameful truth.

Because unfocused ion beams have big energy spreads and are generally unstable, leading to energy loss and a loss of efficiency?

That's my best guess. I suck at physics.

Because if the beam was not focused it (the beam) would be dissipated my the strong magnetic fields involved. That's my best guess. this is where i got my info, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doppler Effect View Post
    Because if the beam was not focused it (the beam) would be dissipated my the strong magnetic fields involved. That's my best guess. this is where i got my info, please correct me if i'm wrong.
    This is correct, as the other poster was, but his was more vague. The phenomenon is called betatron oscillation, and is not caused because the magnetic field is strong, only because it's there, and gradually diverts the beam due to lorentz forces.

Thanks for the Info