Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Science Trivia

Default Re: Science Trivia

Seeing as the Milky Way is about 100.000 lightyears in diameter, I'd say 100.000 years. Odd way to pose the question though, seeing as the Milky Way is not evenly shaped or sized, so it would depend on what direction the light is travelling in.

Well that's why I said approximately, but you are right.
    About 100,000 years.

Could someone +Rep Torment for me?
    | "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum

thealmightyzorg's Avatar Tiro

Can't believe I got that wrong. I missed the how long it would take light. I was assuming a jet or spacecraft.
    IVIVIVI
    IXIXI
    IXIXI
    IXIXI
    IXIXI
    IXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXIXI
    The Almighty Tower of Zorg

The wonderful thing about Zorgs, is that I'm the only one!

Okay, an easy one for starters: what are unconformities and how do they come to be?

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

A buried erosion surface separating two rock masses.

An uncomformity represents time during which no sediments were preserved in a region.

*cough* wiki *cough*

How on earth is that easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Severus View Post
    A buried erosion surface separating two rock masses.

An uncomformity represents time during which no sediments were preserved in a region.

*cough* wiki *cough*

How on earth is that easy?
    It's a lot easier than specifying a certain family of transitional species in the phylogenetic tree IMO. But okay, geology doesn't appeal to many people as much as paleontology does, so maybe I should have started somewhere else.

Anyway, you cheated, but you alse rendered the question useless. So go ahead and ask.

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Yes, well you see... my pre-GCSE science knowledge is nothing on the questions asked here so i'm passing my turn to the next person that posts.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Ok, I'll go.
    How does Nautilus pompilius swim?
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

This thread would be loads more fun in the days before google.

And without using google, its jet propulsion I believe.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    This thread would be loads more fun in the days before google.
    I agree.
    And without using google, its jet propulsion I believe.
    That is correct! Your turn!
    Civitate

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

Hey, something I actually learned in biology as one of the more 'practical' usages of osmosis

It propels itself forward through an osmotical process, essentially. It takes in water but takes out the salt and other minerals (in order to fuel the process); it then pumps the (now almost pure water) out the opposite way. Because it takes out salt and minerals it now 'attracts' fluids again and repeats it over again.
    And they use a buoyancy system (like submarines) through osmosis as well: by regulating the osmotical processes they can 'attract' or expel fluids or gas into the internal of the nautilus.

I never really got the point of threads like this though. Even though I learned this at school just two years ago, you still have to google it to get the details. So it becomes more of a googling-match than anything else...

EDIT: Aaaww, now Phier beat me to it
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

Now I need to think of one thats hard to google.....

Which ain't easy.

Approximately how old is this person, and why?
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

They're a Child because they still have their baby teeth? If not that then I'm stumped on this one.
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    They're a Child because they still have their baby teeth? If not that then I'm stumped on this one.
    Ahem, 'child' is not an age, unless of course you are a Chinese gymnast

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Ahem, 'child' is not an age, unless of course you are a Chinese gymnast
    I know, why couldn't it have been a Dinosaur skull.
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    I know, why couldn't it have been a Dinosaur skull.
    The key is the cervical vertebra, but if its too esoteric I'll answer it by the end of the day.

My shameful truth.

Nietzsche's Avatar Too Human

Don't reckon there's a doctor in the house.
    To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, and commanded, by creatures who have neither the right, wisdom, nor virtue to do so. To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, taxed, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, admonished, reformed, corrected, and punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be placed under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted, and robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, abused, disarmed, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, and betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, and dishonored. -Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Quote Originally Posted by Nietzsche View Post
    Don't reckon there's a doctor in the house.

My shameful truth.

Ugh, I hate human biology. Okay, I'm a bit rusty in this, but I think it has to do with the shape of the vertebrae. Relatively flat edges meant young, and a more semi-circle (what's the word I'm looking for?) kinda shape at the bottom meant a more matured skeleton. This one is flat all the way to the top, so I guess he/she is really young. So my guess would be 0 to 5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Torment View Post
    Ugh, I hate human biology. Okay, I'm a bit rusty in this, but I think it has to do with the shape of the vertebrae. Relatively flat edges meant young, and a more semi-circle (what's the word I'm looking for?) kinda shape at the bottom meant a more matured skeleton. This one is flat all the way to the top, so I guess he/she is really young. So my guess would be 0 to 5 years old.
    Sorry, older.

My shameful truth.