Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Science Trivia

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Science Trivia

Actually they're folded, not small. They extend around matter/energy (as a hypothesis) for a very small length.

I'll go with something fairly basic. The first classified neaderthal skeleton was discovered in the Neander Valley near dusseldorf. This skeleton goes a long way in establishing our ancestors as unthinking, bent-over semi-beasts. Aside from the cultural bias at the time, how was it that this initial skeleton has warped our views for nearly a century so that we still argue that neaderthals may have been more like hairy gorillas? I'm looking for two related things.

(hope this hasn't altered since my last class haha)

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Quote Originally Posted by MrMofo View Post
    I'll go with something fairly basic. The first classified neaderthal skeleton was discovered in the Neander Valley near dusseldorf. This skeleton goes a long way in establishing our ancestors as unthinking, bent-over semi-beasts. Aside from the cultural bias at the time, how was it that this initial skeleton has warped our views for nearly a century so that we still argue that neaderthals may have been more like hairy gorillas? I'm looking for two related things.

(hope this hasn't altered since my last class haha)
    It had Arthritis and the brow ridges made it look "ape-like"
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    It had Arthritis and the brow ridges made it look "ape-like"
    Good enough. It was the skeleton of an old man, had some sort of degenerative bone disease, and then the skeleton was assembled improperly, showing him as being even more bent over and apelike than they should have. Many of the bones were glued to be made to fit the way they thought it should be.

Great, my turn!

What is the largest non Aquatic invertebrate?
    Civitate

Well the honey mushroom is the largest if you count fungi.

Tape worms can get over 50 feet, but are you talking length, surface area, or weight?
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post

Tape worms can get over 50 feet, but are you talking length, surface area, or weight?
    pure gross destructive power

Weight, and fungi aren't counted for the purpose of the question.
    Civitate

The coconut Crab

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    The coconut Crab

Correct! Your turn!
    Civitate

What was the major structural flaw in this building?
    (and for extra points; who discovered it)

There isn't enough support from the base. If enough variables affect the quite small base. The higher stories will fall down on their own mass.

There isn't enough support from the base. If enough variables affect the quite small base. The higher stories will fall down on their own mass.
    Nope. The system to support gravity loads (i.e the "mass") was actually ingenius, and obviously was not flawed (the picture doesn't show a pile of twisted steel and rubble).
    Last edited by Sphere; October 09, 2009 at 01:43 PM.

The bolts were too weak and could cause a collapse under very high winds.

William J. LeMessurier discovered the problem while investigating what a student thought was a different issue.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Correct.

Long story short.

LeMessurier's original design had welded connections for the massive chevron braces, this was later changed to bolted connections due to contractor preference. A Princeton engineering student sent a letter to LeMessurier talking about the effect of quartering winds on the building, and if the unique open design on the lowest levels could handle them (quartering winds as in wind coming in the direction of a corner of the building). LeMessurier first thought this concern was unfounded as the original design had accounted for this, however, when the connection design changed to bolts, the quartering winds had not been rechecked, and LeMessurier discovered his building as built was inadequate to withstand them.

In secret, he told the owners, who didn't notify the public, but starting having a welding team discreetly weld up the brace-frame connections. Strain gauges were attached to the frames and wired back to LeMessuriers office to monitor the building. Disaster was averted when a tropical storm with high enough winds to cause a collapse bypassed NY halfway through the repairs.

The National Society of Professional Engineers determined that LeMessuriers actions were in violation of its code of ethics, as not going public with the information (even though the owner wanted to keep it secret) violated the paramount requirement to insure public safety above all other concerns.

Name this creature!

My shameful truth.

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

Is it a Polar Bear?

Ok a hint is in order. .....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My shameful truth.

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

Ok a hint is in order. .....

Is it an underwater volcano?

Or some sort of squid or octopus?

Jexiel's Avatar Biarchus

@Phier

It is a Pompeii Worm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii_worm
    Signature misfiled. Please use this one instead.