Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are we being used as beta-testers for NTW?

Default Are we being used as beta-testers for NTW?

I have to wonder, are we simply paying all the money for ETW just to be beta-testers for CA, and to iron out all the flaws we see in the game engine?

So that NTW which uses the same engine as ETW would be less buggy?

Default Re: Are we being used as beta-testers for NTW?

Absolutely.

Whilst I doubt that was the intention, in practice that was the result.

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Don't care.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

perhaps, I enjoy playing Empire, but it could have been better.
    I guess CA learned a lot from Empire and they will use that new knowledge in Napoleon.
    I hope it won't be another €50,- game, then I will really feel like being used... I mean we BUY a game and expect it to be good, finished etc. and NOT to be a beta (were we paid for!) for Napoleon.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Yes we were/are! And it's a dirty underhanded almost illegal thing for CA to do to it's loyal fanbase! They actually made us pay $50 for a beta test which they were really using to perfect NTW!

I DEMAND MY BETA TESTER BENEFITS!

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathofjams View Post
    Whilst I doubt that was the intention, in practice that was the result.
    I hope their intention is to work on supporting both simultaneously (and also to put these improved features into Empire).

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Stop whining and just don't buy NTW if you feel that strongly about it.

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

That would imply that the problems in ETW won't in fact be there with NTW.

This is something that remains to be seen.
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

"You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment"

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I am thinking that somewhere along the development cycle they decided that Napoleon was too big a name,too big a personality to be locked into the confines of just another even in Empire,or even another expansion...they knew that they must do something grand for there are those out there,like myself that hold incredibly high standards for anything that is detailing the Emperor,and they know it,therefore they knew this had to be done and done right,therefore I am almost of the mind that they pulled resources from ETW for Napoleon when they came to this conclusion,for as we have seen with several of the models and art pieces they initially intended for Napoleon to feature in Empire,but obviously that was not so.and i for one,feeling the age of Napoleon to be by far more important,support their decision as it is to hve cut their losses on Empire and do what must be done for the glory of the Emperor.and is suspect that seeing as they are building off the same engine the new features and campaign elements will likely be able to be integrated into Empire much the same as the retrofit mod for Kingdoms

Quote Originally Posted by Isaristh View Post
    Yes we were/are! And it's a dirty underhanded almost illegal thing for CA to do to it's loyal fanbase! They actually made us pay $50 for a beta test which they were really using to perfect NTW!

I DEMAND MY BETA TESTER BENEFITS!
    Your beta tester benefit was the game. Regardless of whether or not CA use the lessons of Empire (which they should do, really), you still got something out of the deal. And it's not in the slightest bit illegal, or even really underhanded. They made a game, you bought the game, you did not like the game, they see that and make another with the problems (hopefully) fixed.

It's not as if they sat down and thought: "hey, beta testing is expensive, let's make a completely different game and use the results of people playing it to fix our next one!"

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

ntw = ATW for rome. its just a very short exp pack by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathofjams View Post
    Your beta tester benefit was the game. Regardless of whether or not CA use the lessons of Empire (which they should do, really), you still got something out of the deal. And it's not in the slightest bit illegal, or even really underhanded. They made a game, you bought the game, you did not like the game, they see that and make another with the problems (hopefully) fixed.

It's not as if they sat down and thought: "hey, beta testing is expensive, let's make a completely different game and use the results of people playing it to fix our next one!"
    If only that beta test was SUPPOSE to be a FULL GAME, but it sucked and lacked things that were actually PROMISED, as many other things lacking that weren't confirmed but hinted as a good possibility due to release.

Hell even Rome could get naval invasions down correctly on the first try (damn those Greeks).

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by LoZz View Post
    ntw = ATW for rome. its just a very short exp pack by the looks of it.
    Actually, since it's two weeks per turn, the longest campaign of the three is only just shorter than the Empire campaign.

No, we're not. CA just improved upon what they released for E:TW and instead of using that knowledge to improve this game, they are going to package it and sell it to you for $50.00
    The extra development time will allow us to finalize and polish Empire, making it the most accomplished and epic of the Total War series." said Kieran Brigden, Studio Communications Manager at The Creative Assembly. "There is a great deal of anticipation around Empire: Total War and we want to ensure that it is the benchmark for strategy games upon its release.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You could say the same about M2 and Kingdoms, but ofcourse humans do the mistake of not learning from history (just look at every gaming forum and the World in general, right?!).
    In my opinion, I don't really care about "testing" the game, since after a few patches the game normally becomes enjoyable.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

Gunodd's Avatar Semisalis

You can work around nearly every "bug" and annoying gameplay feature past 1.3. My experience. I still love the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunodd View Post
    You can work around nearly every "bug" and annoying gameplay feature past 1.3. My experience. I still love the game.
    *Every nations declares war on you within the first 10 turns.*

Now how the heck do I work around that?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaristh View Post
    *Every nations declares war on you within the first 10 turns.*

Now how the heck do I work around that?
    I was able to get through 40 years of a Prussian campaign with no one declaring war on me. It can be avoided.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast