Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Victoria 2 Announced!

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Default Victoria 2 Announced!

Huzzah!

[From link]

A sequel to the 2003 cult-hit, with a large devout following around the world. Victoria 2 is a grand strategy game played during the colonial era of the 19th century, where the player takes control over a country, guiding it through industrialisation, political reforms, military conquest and colonisation. Guide the USA to its Manifest Destiny, Make United Kingdom into a world-spanning empire, and make Germany the dominating nation in Europe.

Features
    • Deep engrossing political simulation, with dozens of different types of governments.
    • Detailed economy with over fifty different type of goods and factories.
    • Historical game-play on a large map covering the entire world.
    • Over 200 different countries can be played, from 1835 to the start of world war 2.
    • Advanced Technological system with thousands of inventions to be discovered.
    • Possibility to export a save game at the end of the game into HoI3.
    • A streamlined interface, which makes the game easily accessible.
    • Automation of various tasks, including trade and population promotion.
    • Advanced spheres of influences system, where the great powers battle over the control of the world.
    • New types of pops, including bureaucrats and artisans.
    • Cottage production simulating pre-industrial economies.
    • Gunboat Diplomacy, no need for negotiate as a fleet outside a port may be a more persuasive argument.
    • Overhaul of education, where clergy educates people of the same religion, and each pops have their own literacy levels.
    • More reform categories with more options to select from in each.
    • New election system with coalition governments and an upper house/senate.
    • Historical and Dynamic missions guiding your country through the history.
    • Thousands of historical events and decisions.

The map looks an awful lot like the HoI3 one though...
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Devilmaypoop's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Victoria 2 Announced!

Oh my god this is awesome! I have been waiting for vicky 2 forever.. wouldnt have noticed without you thanks

Daimon's Avatar Miles

I don't agree that map definitely doesn't look like the HOI 3 one.. Don't forget that's an early version of the map.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Well of course not regarding terrain, colour, etc. However, if you I.E look at the shape of Denmark then it's pretty much identical to the shape it has in HoI3.

Oh, and look here.
    Last edited by Atterdag; August 19, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Great news, but perhaps they should fix HoI3 first??
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Yay! Hopefully this will make Napoleon Total War look like the piece of crap it's bound to be

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

HUZZAH!

But please dear lord I hope Paradox gets Alaska right this time. They need to extend the map to get it geographically correct.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

Dude. I just had a Vicky-gasm.

Cogito Ergo Vicco

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    However, if you I.E look at the shape of Denmark then it's pretty much identical to the shape it has in HoI3.
    Did the Denmark landmass change shape in last 200 years?

I'm just messin' with ya, but personally I don't have an issue with them sharing graphics across their games, it might even make it easier to port if they had roughly the same maps in all their games. I would nerdgasm at the thought of a CK2 --> EU4 --> Vicky 2 --> HOI 3 perfect conversion campaign.

il padrino's Avatar Protector Domesticus

this is some good news !

but i hope they make a new map,or at least,use the fixed version of the HOI3 map,which is now waaay too inaccurate.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

:O :O :O No freaking way.

Though, seriously, why does every paradox game leave out the three lakes in the south caucasus/iran??

il padrino's Avatar Protector Domesticus

well to compensate that,HOI3 has Stalingrad almost in Caucasus

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    Though, seriously, why does every paradox game leave out the three lakes in the south caucasus/iran??
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    I would nerdgasm at the thought of a CK2 --> EU4 --> Vicky 2 --> HOI 3 perfect conversion campaign.
    Could you imagine?
    Where would one find the time to actually live.... Well...life?

Great news on Vicky2!!
    It seems Johan and Co...will be putting in a lot of hours coming up with this announcement, the new EU3 expansion and tightening up HOI3. It's a rare thing to have devs/company like Paradox who listens to it's fanbase so closely and acts on their wishes. Have faith CK2 fans. Your lot will be coming soon.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

I'm surprised they're doing vicky. I was under the impression that Johan himself at one point voiced his dislike of victoria due to it's complexity.

I'm surprised they're doing vicky. I was under the impression that Johan himself at one point voiced his dislike of victoria due to it's complexity.
    Aye, same here actually. Completely surprised. As a matter of fact I'm 99.9% sure I actually read Johan's post on it over at Paradox quite a ways back. Looks like he's putting aside his dislike for it because so many Vicky fans are clamoring for it I would imagine.

I remember the first time I loaded up Vicky...

I was like... Holy Crap!! I think I'm gonna need a Masters in Economics and Political Science to make heads or tails of this damn game.

Most likely they'll be toning down the complexity of the game. That's another thing I think I remember hearing Johan say is that if thy did go back an remake Victoria it would be toned down a bit to bring it closer to the level of their other games.

Either way nice to see them bringing it back, defiantly going to have to make a game span from EU3-Vicky 2-HoI 3.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

When you consider how hard it is to play, multiply that by 10 and that's how hard a game of that complexity is to develop, which is probably partly why he doesn't like it, since he had to write the code for it.

Balancing is... let's just say not fun... and balancing Vicky sounds about as fun as solving for the Planck Constant.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Yay! Hopefully this will make Napoleon Total War look like the piece of crap it's bound to be
    napoleon total war? theres an ETW expansion coming or something? (apologies for being ignorant, but i gave up following the tw series after i wasted 35quid on the pants that is the original etw)

im excited for viki2, though i cant help thinking it may not live up to hopes (HoI3, ive only played the demo for, but it just doesnt feel 'right' compared to hoi2.. :/ i dont know whyyyyyyyyyyy)

but whatever, once theyre all done i simply cant wait to play a campaign through from eu3 to the end of the cold war (because we all know doomsday is going to come for hoi3..)

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    napoleon total war? theres an ETW expansion coming or something? (apologies for being ignorant, but i gave up following the tw series after i wasted 35quid on the pants that is the original etw)

im excited for viki2, though i cant help thinking it may not live up to hopes (HoI3, ive only played the demo for, but it just doesnt feel 'right' compared to hoi2.. :/ i dont know whyyyyyyyyyyy)

but whatever, once theyre all done i simply cant wait to play a campaign through from eu3 to the end of the cold war (because we all know doomsday is going to come for hoi3..)

It would be more correct to call it "standalone copy of ETW with all fixed bugs and promised features that were missing from original game with complimentary reskinned units".

Thankfully we beta tested for them and now they can let us buy same game(for full price mind you) for second time as the reward.

I am thrilled about Vicky 2, loved Vicky 1 and hold as one of the best PI products ever.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast