Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossbow, guide for newbies and basic tactics

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Crossbow, guide for newbies and basic tactics

Quote Originally Posted by hogiewan View Post
    X-bows all have auto turned off so theyre being fired manually for best effect, so the not firing is down to me!
    What I do is I turn off the fire at will at the start so that I can pick the best target (cavalry most likely), and after they shoot for the second time (most of the time), I push the stop command directly followed by turning fire at will on. Unlike the AI crossbow, they will automatically switch to the best target after each volley (they don't lock on a specific target). If you order them to shoot at one enemy unit, if it moves behind another of your unit, your xbow won't shoot unless reordered, so you loose valuable firing time.
    Another small point on your replay is that you seems to have several unit fire at the same time on the same target, try give them a 2/3 seconds lag, it's slightly more effective.

Awesome! Like i say havent much experience with x bows, absolutely blown away with how well the formation works in open battle, ill try fire at will a shot! Are u sure they wont revert to arcing shots?
    In my VH/VH campaign as portugal i'v just started an invasion of greece where the mongolians have set up shop, im absolutely maiming them!! I also managed to fend off 3 3/4 stack egyptians who were mainly royal mamluks, tab infantry and mamluk archers using only 1 stack. Lost only 30% of my troops and it was a famous battle sight!

Miles

Wow! Really nice. Thanks for the fine details.

Great guide, I'm looking forward to seeing how you approach open-field battles

I'm hoping it is more clever than mine - using them primarily as bait! Here is my formation:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(X = melee, O= Xbow, Z = spears... cavalry presumed to be roaming wherever it is most useful)

_____X___ X
    X Z X O O O X Z X
    _____Z___ Z

Xbows are in the middle of the line with clear field of fire, they can take the sting from the enemy's heaviest units before they reach the line - and when they do arrive, the AI can't resist sending his men after the Xbows... they are looking un-protected to him... just as they are nearly engaging my Xbowmen the Xbows pull-back and the spears behind them take their place in the line; meanwhile, my fore-most melee units (on either side of the gap) 'close the bag' and charge enemy units (which 9 out of 10 times will swerve around any other units to get at my Xbows if they're close enough) from the rear and flanks.

Hopefully by now I've engaged or routed all the enemy melee-units and cavalry, and can re-position Xbows on the flank to fire into the rear of the melee (or enemy missiles)... not fool-proof, but in a tough battle (when enemy has a good general and takes an age to rout) my Xbows can account for 20-40% of all kills, while only being about 10-15% of my total force.

Can't argue with their usefulness when they often out-score my H. Cav (in kills, obviously).

And if my melee units are fighting a losing battle, I have no qualms about letting-rip with a few massed-volleys right into the middle of the fracas... ironically, it is only 'smart' to do when you have a chivalrous general - your spear militia or peasants will fight to the last man, and will often still be standing (maybe just 1 or 2) when the enemy's superior armoured units flee under a hail of Xbow bolts (or artillery-bombs ) - evil... yes, and also desperate, but it doesn't make you more dreadful .
    Last edited by LemuelG; November 20, 2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: fixed-up non-sensical formation...

"my principal Design was to Inform,
    and not to amuse thee" The Travels (IV:12)

against the moors, they usually have few infantry units, so especially early game, get some crossbows, siege a castle and just put em on the walls.

You can so easily wipe the general/heavycav out with this.

Archers works too, but might have to switch to fire arrows to damage em enough.

I cant see the images on this guide. Is there any other guide that explains how to uses crossbows? I mean...they can only shoot in strait line on sight...

Well. It's a lot about experience with crossbows. They have significantly higher shot velocity than bows, making them arc less over same distance. But they do just like any other projectile (including gunpowder weapons, but there the velocity is so high that it's almost impossible to notice). You can work with that.

If you're using them in open battle behind main battle line, the tactic is is simple. Position the crossbowmen behind your troops with a little gap-about equal to 6-10 ranks of infantry is enough-and make sure they're attacking right targets. Targetting troops too close, with your infantry in the way, is not good. As enemy gets close, you should order crossbowmen to shoot across the line, so crossbowmen behind your right flank attack troops that are closing to your right flank, and vice versa. This gives them enough room to arc the shots over your troops, and incidentally, it will hit the enemy from his side, not front, making the fire more lethal.

In siege, they're best used in defending the breach. Use two melee units in schiltrom or spear wall (on guard mode...this way, they won't get pushed away by the press of the enemy units like regular units would) at the sides of breach, facing it, with only small gap between them. Further away in the street, just far enough to not get engaged by stray soldier dripping from the blob, are crossbowmen. When enemy engages the melee troops guarding the breach, they turn their sides to the crossbowmen, who are now in perfect position to pour their volleys into enemy at close range.

The V formation mentioned in the OP is basically attempt to recreate such situation in open battlefield. Two units creating a fixed funnel, into which the AI will pour its troops, and crossbows to exploit it.

Elevation can be beneficial, or cause havoc among your crossbowmen....it's all about experience. If the angle is shallow enough, it is beneficial, but steep descent will put enemy in the blind spot, as troops cannot shoot below them, and shots are too fast to arc down into enemy. This is especially evident on the walls, which is why you should use crossbows at breach points instead.

The same principles can be utilized also for ballistae and gunpowder artillery, although they have even faster projectiles, and thus require more clearance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12