Thread: New to TROM

Default New to TROM

Hey all,
    Im after getting TROM (after experiments with DarthMod )and Im very pleased with the way it plays so far
    But I want to find out, from players who use TROM regularly:
    1. Is the battle or campaign AI improved?
    2. Will I see naval invasions? (Ive noticed alot of other big mods have naval invasions)
    3. Is diplomacy any better? (I read in the introduction that theres some changes)

Thanks in advance,
    T.C
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: New to TROM

Quote Originally Posted by -TopCat- View Post
    Hey all,
    Im after getting TROM (after experiments with DarthMod )and Im very pleased with the way it plays so far
    But I want to find out, from players who use TROM regularly:
    1. Is the battle or campaign AI improved?
    2. Will I see naval invasions? (Ive noticed alot of other big mods have naval invasions)
    3. Is diplomacy any better? (I read in the introduction that theres some changes)

Thanks in advance,
    T.C
    There is little the modders can do about the most serious AI and diplomacy issues in ETW. Many of the stuff appears to be hard coded, or is not working, or we do not know how it works. So the best we can do (speaking for all mods) is to find workarounds.

The main features in TROM are changes to unit stats and recruitment. Overall, this should lead to a better composition of AI armies and a more realistic feel of the battles. There are also some changes to unit morale and unit formations that should help the AI making better decisions on the battlefield - but here we are hampered by the limitations of the ETW engine.

One of the things we did in the campaign was to increase the money for a few factions (especially France and the Mughals) so that their AI puts up a better fight. As far as I can compare with vanilla, the Mughals are holding up pretty well against the Maratha.

Yes, you will see naval invasions, but probably not more than in vanilla ETW (again, this appears to be a code issue and CA has announced they will address it). In any case, I've seen Prussia invade North Africa and Britain invade Hannover by sea. I haven't seen any cross-theatre invasions, but I believe this is due to ETW bugs, so nothing we can fix yet.

As for diplomacy: this submod by Yarkis (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273322) seems to tone down the useless declarations of war by minor nations. You can also try the AI submod for APE:TI... it should be compatible.
    Last edited by Johan217; August 18, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    There is little the modders can do about the most serious AI and diplomacy issues in ETW. Many of the stuff appears to be hard coded, or is not working, or we do not know how it works. So the best we can do (speaking for all mods) is to find workarounds.

The main features in TROM are changes to unit stats and recruitment. Overall, this should lead to a better composition of AI armies and a more realistic feel of the battles. There are also some changes to unit morale and unit formations that should help the AI making better decisions on the battlefield - but here we are hampered by the limitations of the ETW engine.

One of the things we did in the campaign was to increase the money for a few factions (especially France and the Mughals) so that their AI puts up a better fight. As far as I can compare with vanilla, the Mughals are holding up pretty well against the Maratha.

Yes, you will see naval invasions, but probably not more than in vanilla ETW (again, this appears to be a code issue and CA has announced they will address it). In any case, I've seen Prussia invade North Africa and Britain invade Hannover by sea. I haven't seen any cross-theatre invasions, but I believe this is due to ETW bugs, so nothing we can fix yet.

As for diplomacy: this submod by Yarkis (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273322) seems to tone down the useless declarations of war by minor nations. You can also try the AI submod for APE:TI... it should be compatible.

Thanks very much for that help +rep for it

I have to say, I love the variencies in units, the game feels much better
    As you seem to be a mod worker, im going to report a bug:
    When using the unit that replaces militia (sorry i forgot the name) the officer uses the telescope animation, but no telescope
    I'll probaly fix it myself (for my own use) as im sure its just an empty column in the equipment table

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

If you find it, or remember the name of the unit, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    If you find it, or remember the name of the unit, let me know
    Its one of the units that 'fires their musket when out of effective range' It also has a slightly longer range than most units
    When im using my empire computer later on I'll let you know

It's probably the streltsy_officer model... I haven't included it in the battle_personalities table, so they have no telescope assigned to them.