Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here actually read completely the Old testament, New testament, and Koran?

Default Has anyone here actually read completely the Old testament, New testament, and Koran?

Well I'm just wondering...

I've only really looked at bits and pieces of them. Do plan to read them completely though.

Edit: I wanna know how much understanding we have here of their content.
    Last edited by ShadowGladius; July 10, 2005 at 03:30 PM.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

I plan to read the whole Bible from Genesis through to whatever the last book is, and then a commentary on it. What translation are you going to use, and have people used, btw?

Well I'm going to use the kings james version (saved the entire thing and a koran translation to my harddrive)

its pretty easy to find free online versions of every translation, you could read multiple ones.

Patrician

How much time do you think I've got? The King James Version will do me, thanks, until my Greek is good enough to read the original with only a little help. And where can I get a good translation of the Qu'ran? My school has one, but reference only...

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

This is the site where I found mine.

It has three different translation versions, heres an example:

YUSUFALI: Say : O ye that reject Faith!
    PICKTHAL: Say: O disbelievers!
    SHAKIR: Say: O unbelievers!

YUSUFALI: I worship not that which ye worship,
    PICKTHAL: I worship not that which ye worship;
    SHAKIR: I do not serve that which you serve,

YUSUFALI: Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
    PICKTHAL: Nor worship ye that which I worship.
    SHAKIR: Nor do you serve Him Whom I serve:

YUSUFALI: And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship,
    PICKTHAL: And I shall not worship that which ye worship.
    SHAKIR: Nor am I going to serve that which you serve,

YUSUFALI: Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
    PICKTHAL: Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
    SHAKIR: Nor are you going to serve Him Whom I serve:

YUSUFALI: To you be your Way, and to me mine.
    PICKTHAL: Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.
    SHAKIR: You shall have your religion and I shall have my religion.

Patrician

Looks good. Now to just wait till I have time to read it. I think the Pickthal is the one I'll go for; the Shakir is a bit, well, modern, and the Yusufali is a bit Old English.

Civis

I've read MOST of the Quran (I hesitate to say ALL because I have not read all in Arabic). I've read through it a couple of times too. Read bits and pieces of the Bible.

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Squeakus Maximus
    How much time do you think I've got? The King James Version will do me, thanks, until my Greek is good enough to read the original with only a little help. And where can I get a good translation of the Qu'ran? My school has one, but reference only...
    It will take tens of years to read ancient greek directly, with some speed, Squeakus.

I've read them all.

Patrician

I can try, at least. Especially given that I am learning the anguage anyway, so some words (not many but some) I can translate already. And I know its a daunting prospect, but everyone must be ambitious.

I wish you well in your endeavour, (ancient) greek is a marvelous language.

Patrician

It is beautiful. After the Bible, come the Iliad and Odyssey... bearing in mind that we do those for the GCSEs, it might be a little easier. But it will take years, especially as I'll only be doing it in my spare time.

The Iliad and the Odyssey are in a different dialect, and have been written down a few hundred years before. I suggest your read Eschyle and Sophocles before that. You are going to learn athenian first, then the rest of the dialects.
    Last edited by Ummon; July 10, 2005 at 05:28 PM.

Well, I have read the entire New Testament. I read the Bible daily too, right now I'm in Chapter 27 of the Book of Samuel I (fairly interesting, maybe the best I have read of the Old Testament).

I would advise ye that are thinking of reading the entire Bible to start with the New Testament; The Old one is sometimes very boring and might discourage ye to continue. I'm certainly glad I started with the New Testament.
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

I read the old testoment alsmot all, (someparts are a little boring with all the names and numbers and ect..) i have read almost all the New testoment. But i know the whole story and i have had it read to me before when i was a child. As for the Quran i havent so i dont critisize it or talk about it like i know it all. Thats why some athiest **** me off, they dont know what they are talking about or anything and try to make things up or say things against christianity and how it is false and how christians are. Read it first than talk. But even if they read it, it is said when a man is blind he cannot see.

it is said when a man is blind he cannot see.
    That's kind of expected of a blind man.
    I've read the Old and New Testament(most of it anyway)
    There are three things I love son, and you're not one of them.

I read whole Bible, but as for Quran I read only a slovak translation, which was rather shortened :/

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I would advise ye that are thinking of reading the entire Bible to start with the New Testament; The Old one is sometimes very boring and might discourage ye to continue. I'm certainly glad I started with the New Testament.
    Yes and No. The old testament, should, ideally be read before the new. Otherwise you will not understand the new so well. Personally I would read a Gospel first, preferably John, then the old then the new.

Patrician

Is there any strong reason (boredom does not count; look at the Iliad, pages of "x killed y, son of z".) to read the greatest piece of literature of the past 2000 years in the wrong order? That is, not to go threough OT=>NT without doing things in an unusual order?

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Ideally you would read both in the context of the other. This is, of course, impossible the first time round, but by reading a gospel, which contains the crucial message of christianity will allow one to see the continuity as one reads the old, and the continuation, from the old to the new.

(Also the books of the Bible are not all arannged in chronological order, as was the way of the hebrews.)

Patrician

So it is a matter of reading the one in the context of the other by reading a small section of the other. Any particular reason for recommending John, or is it simply personal preference?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast