Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Marcellinus/Falco

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Marcellinus/Falco

Are you threating to kill us senator? Are you trying to impose yourself as king? Taking us with your gladius is more of a crime then all the insults Ive ever done in my whole life. Minerva may not be my best friend but when I call her she answers. She tells me that this man is thinking he is high enough to kill us with his gladius, that he is above us!

Senators, May I point out to you that words are just that, words.

We must understand that we can't take words too seriously or we will always be at each others throats as we have seen in this very hall. A few words spoken in jest and a joke here or there is good for the spirits and we cannot always sit here stern faced. We are men Senators, let us behave as them.

Actions are what make us the men we are but the Pontifex is right, we sit here and squabble like children.

Equestris, I highly doubt that the Consul plans to kill us all but I understand the point he makes. I am sure that the Consul is a little too stuck in the ways of the army and the language which is understandable and for his many years of service I respect him greatly. But as a military man he respects action and he's right we have barely made progress this term.

But we shouldn't dwell or else the republic will never move forward, we learn from our mistakes and advance.

The Greeks did not advance their militaristic tactics, keeping with the phalanx, good in a strong line where they cannot be flanked but we bested them with our maneuverability, we advanced.

The Celts and other barbaric tribes did not see the benefits of a republic, they stuck to their kings, one man who could end an entire nation, a man who with one foolhardy decision can wipe his people off the map. This senate was built so everyone has a say, so points can be reasoned and debated, we have advanced from the time of kings and is why we are superior to the barbarians.

So senators I say this to you, aim to advance in all that you do, press forward for the good of us all, this term may not have been our best be we will improve upon ourselves.

Many like myself are young, we are sometimes rash but we are full of vigor, the elder senators bring reason to these halls and help make us all better people.

This is not what we can do for ourselves, it is what we can do for Rome.

All this talk of dictators, one is not needed, not for a few huddled masses of rebels.

I propose the following motion:

I. That Consul Marcellinus be given Imperium over Italia with the sole purpose of crushing the rebel armies here.
    II. He is answerable to the senate and the senate can deem him unfit for the job should they deem it right.
    III. If he does not complete the task during his remaining time as Consul, one of the next two Consuls will be selected to finish the job.

Senators, if you do not like the motion propose something that we can agree is better, point out the flaws and see if we can remedy them. Do not shout across the hall like uneducated children for that is not what we are.

We are the voice of Rome. We are a guiding light to the world. We are the Senate and I bid you stand.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

We have made no progress this term due to his inactivity in the Curia dealings. I don't care if he is a military man and he likes decisive action. We all are military men, after all we are ROMAN. I don't take lightly to someone trying run at me with a gladius, he is a Consul, he has armies at his disposal. I think every single member here can have a duty in this expulsion in the rebels, we can get the people riled up, we can host rallies, we can personally go against him or we can take his approach and have someone run at us with a gladius barking yet another order. I vote for teamwork and team effort. We are equals, we are courageous and lastly WE ARE ROMAN.

"I'm very certain that the Consul was speaking figuratively, Cicero.

I support Festinius' proposal. Let's put it to vote."

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Quote Originally Posted by The10thLegion View Post
    This sacred chamber is befowled by the idiots that think that I have done something illegal. Your presence sickens me.
    For the record, insulting the censor may not be illegal, it is certainly not something I endorse. Consider yourself warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    Now, if you men don't stop squabbling like children, I'll get my old gladius and run all you bastards through
    This also warrants a warning.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

If I say anything at this moment its that at least the Censor is not corrupt and playing favorites. I will accept my warning.

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Consul Falco stands and speaks

With my last act as consul, I wish to appoint myself to become a Legatus Legionis of the east, for this senatorial buiness is tiresome and I wish to pick up the sword once more and serve rome again in a compacity I know well
    Low speed, High Drag

OOC: I can see why
    A blood-thirsty norse bastard, an opportunistic french-speaking norse bastard, or the King? I think by the laws of fealty there is only one option available.. - sirfiggin

Consul, SIT DOWN!

You dare spit in the face of the laws by such a selfish act? I will not let corruption and greed run rampant in these halls! If you wish to serve in the legions, then wait for your term to come to an end before petitioning this body for the position. But to appoint yourself at the end of your term seems a suspiciously ambitious move. I shall not allow you such an audacity. Be that you have only the single warning from the Censor for your blasphemous comment of bringing weapons into these halls, I cannot issue you the Damnatio Infelixium, but I can and WILL strip you of the title of Legatus Legionis if you so much as DARE appoint yourself.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

I said I wish to, I do not command it, I was merely stating my intentions Censor, and I will legally petition for the post
    Low speed, High Drag

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Senators please stop chattering and focus on your jobs. What is the status of the questors report? And how about my motion that passed? Did we already dispatch messages to the legions? Has some one been appointed as diplomat and send to Crete? I think we have more important matters to deal with right now.

You could notice Quintus getting a bit irritated by these so called leaders of the eternal city.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

The motion Imperium Italia has been passed,
    As there are only two candidates for consul next term one of which being Marcellinus we can ask him to deal with this immediately.
    I wish the consul luck and feel that he is the right man for this job.
    When can we expect the consul to leave?
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    I said I wish to, I do not command it, I was merely stating my intentions Censor, and I will legally petition for the post
    Cicero puts his voice up real high, in a mocking sort of way.
    "I want command of legion, I will stab you with a gladius if I don't get it."

Cicero then goes back to a normal voice.

You aren't worthy to command an auxilia attachment of Guals let alone a legion. Stop petitioning, Im tired of hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by The10thLegion View Post
    Cicero puts his voice up real high, in a mocking sort of way.
    "I want command of legion, I will stab you with a gladius if I don't get it."

Cicero then goes back to a normal voice.

You aren't worthy to command an auxilia attachment of Guals let alone a legion. Stop petitioning, Im tired of hearing it.

Armenivs spoke...

"You mock him Cicero? You threaten a Senator? I will see to it you are issued a warning. And why is it up to your judgement whether or not a Senator is worthy? How dare you! I find that all us Senators are always arguing, because of a few certain people..."

Armenivs shot a sharp glare at Cicero.

"...who are causing disruption! We need to make a decision..." Armenivs looked over all the Senators, then seated himself.
    ~YATS Info: Lvcius Armenivs Romanvs - 28 (Patrician)~

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Mocking someone is not forbidden in my eyes, Arminius. And Cicero did not threaten anyone, most senators realize that his words were spoken in jest. Irony and satire are (and have always been) correct rhetorical tools to employ, senators. But remember, when that thin line from satirizing to insulting is crossed, the Censor will be waiting to warn you for it, or worse if necessary.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Julius Civilis View Post
    Mocking someone is not forbidden in my eyes, Arminius. And Cicero did not threaten anyone, most senators realize that his words were spoken in jest. Irony and satire are (and have always been) correct rhetorical tools to employ, senators. But remember, when that thin line from satirizing to insulting is crossed, the Censor will be waiting to warn you for it, or worse if necessary.

"Yes, noble Censor. I'm afraid I was mistaken of my actions. I apologize. Please continue."
    ~YATS Info: Lvcius Armenivs Romanvs - 28 (Patrician)~

Apology accepted. I beleive in debates but not of mob violence and of Roman fighting Roman

Senators, are we ready to nominate Suffecti? If so, then I would like to run as Suffectus for Tribune of the Plebs.
    A blood-thirsty norse bastard, an opportunistic french-speaking norse bastard, or the King? I think by the laws of fealty there is only one option available.. - sirfiggin

I would like to run for a Suffectus as ProConsul...

We must wait for this term to be over before we appoint a suffectus (ie. a new Curia thread), I am not sure if nominations should be accepted now, though, considering the elections are not over yet.