Thread: Customizing a Mod

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Default Customizing a Mod

Hey all,

So basically, I have this problem. I LOVE the item diversity from Lords and Realms, but I'm not a huge fan of the troop line (too much plate armor, and once you get to the highest-tier troops they begin to blend together for me - for example, Rhodok Cavalry, Swadian Knights, and Vaegir Knights are all pretty much interchangeable as far as looks). I prefer the concept in Native where each faction had a undeniable, unique look to it (A Vaegir knight still wore lamellar and fought with an axe, for example). However, Lords and Realms is more fun for me than plain Native because of the kingdom management and the item selection. So now, I want to try Native Expansion, since it looks like it (for the most part) preserves the Native feel of troops and armies, while adding a lot of new features (like the kingdom management I enjoy). However, upon loading up, I find that most of the items are still basic Native with a few new ones here and there.

So the big question:

Is there a way to pull the items I like from Lords and Realms (for example, I love the Great Helms with the colored circlets, and the early crusader style helmets - the ones that are like round helmets with a facemask on them). Can this be done? I've come across the OSP projects, and I wonder if the helmets I like are buried somewhere inside of them, but I have no idea how to implement them into the game, let alone make them compatible with the mod. I'll fire up the game later and take screenies of some of the items I'm hoping to port over - its not a ton, just enough to make me feel like there are plenty of steps to take in upgrading. I don't want to be able to afford/buy the best armor within a couple hours of starting.

Thanks!

Default Re: Customizing a Mod

Items can be moved between mods, but notice you'll have to 'manually' equip the troops with them yourself.

Here's a tutorial on how to install items in a mod:
    http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.p...c,46003.0.html

Here's the troop editor:
    http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/...&lid=709</p><p>
    It's a very simple program to edit the equipment and statistics of troops.

It's a little troublesome to do this - both installling items and editing troops - but fairly simple.
    Just don't think you can do it in 10 min, and you'll most certainly run into some problems - but they can be solved. Just ask.
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

Oi jeeze, I think that might have my number. I want to give it a shot, but I'm just a few days from going back to university (hence a drop in free time), and I want to spend my time on the computer playing, rather than failing at modding I'll ask some questions here though, for when I get around to it.

I've found the exact set of helmets I want to port over, they're located in \Lords and Realms 1.505\Resource\mod_helmets_a.brf
    So what I have to do, is copy that .brf file into the \Native Expansion\Resource folder, and then copy every matching .dds texture file from the LaR texture folder to the NE texture folder? Is that right? I'm having trouble finding the right textures though, as they don't seem to share the same name always...

After that, I make the text edits to the item_kinds file in the NE directory? Is that correct? I don't want to equip any troops with the new items, I just want them to appear in stores for purchase.

I guess I'm confused from the start. There's a black winged helmet in that .brf that I don't care for. Can I just ignore it when copying textures and changing the item_kinds file? I ask this especially because the second set of items I want to add into Native Expansion is the three solid-colored (blue/red/yellow) surcoats from the 1257 AD mod. There are a few more helmets I'd probably like to add, but those are the major ones I wish I could put in.

Lastly, would these edits be save-game compatible? Would they just start appearing in stores after I implement them? I'm itching to start a Native Expansion game tonight, but I also don't want to level up a character only to start over because I'm bored with his armor already

Thanks so much for your help, Adorno! +Rep for you, sir.

Sounds like you got it. Most of it is a copy-paste routine.
    Copy resource to resource, textures to textures and the item_kinds to item_kinds.

The Item_kinds can cause some problems so do this:
    Each item - with a corresponding texture - has a line in item_kinds, it could be:

itm_rabati Rabati Rabati 1 rabati 0 12 0 278 123731968 2.000000 100 20 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

At the top of the item_kinds file is a number, like so:

itemsfile version 2

That number should always correspond with the amount of items. So if you move 10 helmets from Lords & Realms to NE, the number should be increased by 10 (= 443 in this case).

When you are done moving the items this way open up the module.ini file in Lords & Realms,
    and find a line that says 'load_mod_resource_helmets_a' or something similar.
    That tells the mod to load the new resource file in the resource folder.
    Add that line to the module.ini file in NE. Again just copy-paste.

I'm not sure changes to the items is save game compatible. Sorry.
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

It works!

The items are showing up in game, and they do in fact appear to be save-game compatible as well. I saved myself some trouble and just copy/pasted the entire set of LaR textures to NE, so there are dozens of unused ones, but it saved me heaps of time in finding the exact matches. I have another question, though (this one is gameplay-related):

Now, I want to move the "Covered Horses" from 1257 AD Mod to Native Expansion. I now know how to get them in-game by bringing over the correct .brf, .dds files, and changing the .ini etc etc. However, I want to simulate them as purely covered in cloth, not armor, so I don't want to add them in-game as warhorses. In-game, I want the cloth-covered horses to become a jack-of-all-trades, a horse that a knight character could ride suitably (but not ideally, since a warhorse would be) in a couched-lance charge, but also as a horse that a horse-archer character could ride without chugging along slowly. I'm literally walking out the door as we speak, or else I'd fire up the game and try to pick it out myself, but what would you recommend? A hunter? Courser? I can't remember any of the other types off the top of my head. What do you think?

MoToM's Avatar Semisalis

Hunter I say. Slower than a Courser but a bit higher HP if I recall. More maneuverable too.

Quote Originally Posted by MoToM View Post
    Hunter I say. Slower than a Courser but a bit higher HP if I recall. More maneuverable too.
    Thanks, I did just that!

And now for another question

I tried adding helmets in from a second .brf file, called something like helmets_cr.brf. However, when I try to load up the game, I get the "reregister textures blah blah blah" error, which I can never seem to fix, and end up starting over with a new copy of the mod because I've deleted things that I know I shouldn't have deleted.

So my question is:

The .brf has about 12 helmets in it, and I want to add three or four. Can I go in, and immediately delete all of the other helmet meshes, and the textures that go along with them, and save it as a new file, say, "trial_helmet_mod.brf"? Will the game recognize this new .brf title, as long as I put the line in the .ini file?

Quote Originally Posted by KippyK View Post
    So my question is:

The .brf has about 12 helmets in it, and I want to add three or four. Can I go in, and immediately delete all of the other helmet meshes, and the textures that go along with them,
    and save it as a new file, say, "trial_helmet_mod.brf"? Will the game recognize this new .brf title, as long as I put the line in the .ini file?
    Never tried that myself, but I believe that's the way to do it. Remember to make a backup.

Open Module.ini:

#animations
    load_resource = uni_jump
    load_resource = uni_stances
    load_resource = uni_equip
    load_resource = uni_strike
    load_resource = uni_throws
    load_resource = uni_fistswing
    #load_resource = uni_tavern_stand
    load_resource = uni_lord_stand
    load_resource = uni_defence
    load_resource = uni_sideways

works_with_version_min = 1000
    works_with_version_max = 1011
    enable_quick_battles = 1
    limit_hair_colors = 1
    show_faction_color = 1
    show_quest_notes = 1
    #You can change the following to 1 for ease in module development
    show_party_ids_instead_of_names = 0

HERE you write example:
    load_mod_resource = BRF_FILE

then go to mbrepository and download item editor

then go to item editor and open brf file(your brf)

and change happy to help

im not good at english so this is my olnliest explain

"Your wish, is maybe our Duty"
    - Lord_NelsonsMODTEAM

King Canute's Avatar Miles

i know you guys are discussing moving items and such but the topic said customizing and so this seems the best place. Im currently playing prophesy of pendor but i would like to implement the lords and realms kingdom management. I would do it but i have no clue where to begin, help?(there will be rep)

I can't help you, sorry. But in order to do it you'll need the module system and some knowledge on coding.

You can download Age of Machinery - that has kingdom management and the source:
    http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.p...c,48674.0.html
    Then you need to implement the feature to Prophesy of Pendor (PoP).

It's way beyond my skills, but you could perhaps ask saxondragon at taleworlds to help you,
    or make a thread at the PoP subsection:
    http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/board,119.0.html