Thread: "Can You Run This?" and Husdawg LLC...and maybe Data Execution Prevention

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Can You Run This?" and Husdawg LLC...and maybe Data Execution Prevention

Having never heard of this site or the service I was surprised to find that it was on my computer. Is this spyware? Is it something that came with a Microsoft update?

I've tried to search for it and figure it out but all I get is people asking 'why doesn't it work?'...I want to know why it's on my computer...and exactly how do i get it off.

I posted a question earlier because I'm having trouble with Veoh. Explorer crashes everytime I try to watch a video on Veoh. I can watch YouTube, Mega Video or any other videos but not Veoh.

I learned that the error I kept getting was a "Data Execution Prevention" error.

After looking up DEP I discovered there're any number of things that could cause it. Spyware and add-ons being among them.

Which brings my attention to Husdawg LLC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    "whatchutalkinboutwillis!?"

Whos Willis?

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Default Re: "Can You Run This?" and Husdawg LLC...and maybe Data Execution Prevention

Data Execution Prevention is a new security mechanism in Vista, and XP SP2. It theoretically shouldn't cause problems unless something is trying to take over your computer via buffer overflow or something. It's marginally possible that some program explicitly opts into DEP, but actually deliberately executes data. I.e., it's buggy. If you're using Internet Explorer, this probably isn't the case.

You'll have to give more details. Have you tried using other browsers? What's the exact text of the error you're getting? How do you know this service is on your computer, and what exactly is it called?
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Strelok's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: "Can You Run This?" and Husdawg LLC...and maybe Data Execution Prevention

Quote Originally Posted by Semetrical
    Have you tried using other browsers?
    By "Explorer" he might also mean "Windows Explorer" and not "Internet Explorer".

Quote Originally Posted by morteduzionism
    Having never heard of this site or the service I was surprised to find that it was on my computer. Is this spyware? Is it something that came with a Microsoft update?
    Husdawg LLC is definitely not a Microsoft service is the most I can say. Can You Run this is a site where it scans your system specifications when matching to a game and will tell you how good you can run that game. If you've run the test once, it will install this onto your system, it is not spyware.

Since DEP is closing Explorer, you should try to run some sort of anti-malware scanner on your system to see if you have some sort of virus that is attacking your system and DEP is closing Explorer under this specific condition. If you're deseperate, you can actually completely turn off DEP if you wish, which will stop DEP from closing Explorer, but that is not recommended. Regardless, below is the method.

Code:
    Windows XP:
    1. Click on the Start Menu
    2. Select Control Panel that is located at the right of the Start Menu by default
    3. Select System inside the control panel
    4. Click the Advanced tab at the top
    5. Under the Startup and Recovery region select Settings
    6. Click on the Edit button
    7. Notepad will open. At the very bottom-right, you should see this: /NoExecute=OptIn - change it to: /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
    8. Save the changes.
    9. Reboot your system.
    Code:
    Windows Vista:

1.Navigate to "All Programs" and "Accessories"
    2.Right-click on the icon "Command Prompt"
    3.Click "Properties" tab and in the "Shortcuts" where you normally are, click "Advanced"
    4.Check "Run as Administrator" and confirm with 'OK'
    5.Navigate back to "All Programs" and "Accessories"
    6.Open "Command Prompt"
    7/Paste this to later in the prompt window: 

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff                      

This will turn DEP completely off. Reboot your system to apply changes. Do the same procedure and use this line instead to turn it back on:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx Optin
    Although before doing this it is better to figure out the cause instead of completely disabling DEP. It is proving useful because it is altering you to a potential security problem.
    Last edited by Strelok; August 19, 2009 at 04:58 PM.