Thread: Icon and Unit Glowing Questions

AncientSoldier's Avatar Tiro

Icon5 Icon and Unit Glowing Questions

I just finished installing RS and the icon for the exe comes as a white circle but when I look in the RTW file the icon is normal.I know it's nothing big but it just bothers me alot.Does reinstalling the game fix the problem.I was gonna reinstall it but I don't know if the data will get messed up.Oh and when I'm fighting why sometimes do the soldiers start sparkling?Do they gain a morale boost or damage boost?

Default Re: ???

you were actually going to reinstall because a little icon glitch? really?

cnaeus's Avatar Centenarius

thats actually a very good question...what is going on if a unit starts glowing?

Challange Macedon, and die trying

It gains (or loses?) experience.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

The icon is usually caused by not having your computer set to 32-bit graphics.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

cnaeus's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    It gains (or loses?) experience.
    aaahh..so that what that's for...after all this time i was active in RTW i still didnt knew everything...i love this game

Challange Macedon, and die trying

Default Re: Icon and Unit Glowing Questions

It happens to my archers decimating the enemy, it also happens to enemy unit being surrounded and slaughtered, with no chance to escape. It sometimes happens to my general bodyguards, sometimes to infantry. Maybe it has something to do with experience, maybe with morale. I guess someone from the CA should have been asked that question
    I'm sittin' here completely surrounded by no beer.

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by stanley86 View Post
    It happens to my archers decimating the enemy, it also happens to enemy unit being surrounded and slaughtered, with no chance to escape. It sometimes happens to my general bodyguards, sometimes to infantry. Maybe it has something to do with experience, maybe with morale. I guess someone from the CA should have been asked that question
    It occures in both times. If your unit gained experience, the unit glow and also, if the unit looses experience because of the reasons above mentioned by stanley86.

I was wondering too, looks like CA had only one visual effect for gain or lose experience during a battle.
    Last edited by ♔Icebear77♔; August 17, 2009 at 12:05 PM.

Ive never noticed glowing when unit looses experience only when gained maybe because it doesn't happen that often.
    As for icon did you tried go into properties and change icon manualy?

right click on the icon then go into properites at the bottem of the list when you click on that a window will pop up and at the bottem it says change icon the click on browes then go into the rome total war fold and double click on the RS icon and there you go simples

rep me if you found this useful please
    The die is cast- Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Icebear77 View Post
    It occures in both times. If your unit gained experience, the unit glow and also, if the unit looses experience because of the reasons above mentioned by stanley86.

I was wondering too, looks like CA had only one visual effect for gain or lose experience during a battle.
    I don't think it's due to losing experience -- I think the unit is still 'gaining' experience. The effect is weird during a battle when the unit in question is being mauled, but the measurement is actually real-time average experience, which can swing wildly when a bunch of less experienced fighters get killed (like in a flank or rear attack).

I suppose the opposite is true if for some reason the higher experienced men are killed first, but the effect always seems to accompany the addition of a unit flag.

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlecat View Post
    I don't think it's due to losing experience -- I think the unit is still 'gaining' experience. The effect is weird during a battle when the unit in question is being mauled, but the measurement is actually real-time average experience, which can swing wildly when a bunch of less experienced fighters get killed (like in a flank or rear attack).

I suppose the opposite is true if for some reason the higher experienced men are killed first, but the effect always seems to accompany the addition of a unit flag.
    Sorry mate, but no, i tried it out several times. I had a cavalery with an experience of 3, after they were hit hard and almost the whole unit has been destroyed, they lost 1 experience and the glow. After the battle, this unit had only 2 experience.

AncientSoldier's Avatar Tiro

Alright thanks the icon works now but the glowing soldiers kinda ponered me I thought it was a glitch at first but after the second time I knew it was something new that was implemented.Thanks for the reply.

Hi sorry to bump an old thread but I'm also curious about the sparkle effect - can it be turned off? The preferences file says UNIT_EXPERIENCE_UPGRADE_EFFECT:FALSE, shouldn't that take care of it?

EDIT: For some reason the preferences file didn't save properly. If set to the above, I don't see the annoying fairy sparkle effect anymore.
    Last edited by Octavius-Augustus; January 03, 2018 at 10:33 AM.