• Yes

13 81.25%
  • No

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [ETW AAR] The Great Nation of Courland

finian1712

Default [ETW AAR] The Great Nation of Courland

· This aar will folow the story of one man so I will be using artmoney to speed up the action and Irmo's all faction unlock mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=262048 and this is my first AAR ever so I would appreciate criticism

1703-Summer

I approached the old castle wondering whether this move would forever decide my fate. An old man sat behind the desk and slowly looked up he asked, "Who are you?" Frederick I said. The man said, " Ahh yes you shall on the 18th instant you shall report to the regiment near the town of Liepaja and join a new line infantry company to be formed soon". I tried to brighten this news, "At least we don't have to train in the middle of winter." The man had a knowing look and said, "Yes but that makes it more likely that you will need to fight the Prussians in the south in the winter, they have always wanted to expand in our direction and take control of our rich province". I knew this news was bad it meant that my wife would have to take control of my farm in the east and I doubted that she could do it on her own. All men had to serve in the army but I had hoped for a few more months at least so that my sons could grow and help her but apparently no such luck.

Today I joined the first line infantry regiment ever to be formed in Courland. We marched to Liepaja with my regiment another of line infantry, 2 regiment of horse, 1 demi-cannon and a new general and his bodyguard formed to lead our new army. We drilled all day with our dutiful general watching over us I wondered whether he would lead us to glory or to death. I knew the second was very likely as our nation is sandwiched between Ingria which is controlled by the Swedes, Lithuania under the thumb of the Polish government and East Prussia owned by the Prussians who sit in their fortress of Koningsberg. I felt confident though the general had told us that 3 more line infantry companies would reinforce us over the next year. All these men would surely scare of the Prussians and the Swedes, right?
    Last edited by finian1712; August 15, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

finian1712

Default Re: The Great Nation of Courland

Please vote b/c I wont work on this until I know whether people like it, I will ty to have some fighting by the 3rd update

uzi716's Avatar Ordinarius

Continue it, but OMG how did you get soo much money??????

Maybe start a story without unlimited money?

finian1712

The money is to speed it up, im not focusing on the economy and I jsut want things to be more interesting. Plus I can expand quicker with lots of money in my treasury

finian1712

UPDATE

1704-Summer
    The final regiment marched in today. We watched them arrive and remarked on how they were out of step and their lack of discipline. Then we wondered were we ourselves really like this too? It was truly remarkable what only one year of training could do to a person. I would never think of disobeying my lieutenant like that man over there did as he talked back to him. I told my friends, "That man will get at least 12 lashes for doing that I can already tell they have a hard horse lieutenant. With all our men arrived the general ordered us to take up a defensive position in case the Prussians decided to launch an attack to drive us out. I still believed we would win in such a fight. A new army would also form in the capital city itself in case of an attack from that direction, we were told that our army would once sufficiently reinforced would take Koningsberg from the Prussian scum.

Default Re: [ETW AAR] The Great Nation of Courland

i know finian1712 from steam

finian1712

Hmm I will not be able to update from Monday to Saturday b/c I will be away so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by finian1712 View Post
    UPDATE

1704-Summer
    The final regiment marched in today. We watched them arrive and remarked on how they were out of step and their lack of discipline. Then we wondered were we ourselves really like this too? It was truly remarkable what only one year of training could do to a person. I would never think of disobeying my lieutenant like that man over there did as he talked back to him. I told my friends, "That man will get at least 12 lashes for doing that I can already tell they have a hard horse lieutenant. With all our men arrived the general ordered us to take up a defensive position in case the Prussians decided to launch an attack to drive us out. I still believed we would win in such a fight. A new army would also form in the capital city itself in case of an attack from that direction, we were told that our army would once sufficiently reinforced would take Koningsberg from the Prussian scum.

I like the story so far but a historical note:
    200 lashes or more was the norm, 12 was nearer to a reward than a punishment
    keep up the story
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

finian1712

Hey my favorite naval character (after whom my steam id is named) Jack Aubrey hated to flog and I dont either, even if this isnt aboard ship. Courland would never waste a man to flogging lol

Who voted no? Of course you should continue. Nice AAR so far. I'd recommend doing a bit more in each update, but if you don't have time then you obviously can't.
    Is she... you know...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ?

finian1712

yeah sorry ment to start this earlier but you know...

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Vive la Courland!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

finian1712

Courland Im oretty sure does not speak French lol... srry no updates for perhaps a week and a half I will be away.... Then starting the 31st I have school ug...

Indefinitely Banned

Im from Courland, we talk Latvian there.

MastahCheef117's Avatar Civis

GO COURLAND!
    Losing battles in Total War since Rome.

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of the French

Shouting the Battle Cry of Freedom - The story of Lt. Col. William J. Barker and the 71st Ohio Infantry

finian1712

hmm latvian, unfortunatley I only speak english and spanish... and im back!

finian1712

1705-Summer
    Today we have named the army now assembled in south-western Courland, our new name is the 1st Guard Army. We are now the: 1st Regiment-1st Guard Army. In 6 months the army will have all of its men assembled to strike at the Prussians in Koningsberg. We will take the city and wipe the Prussian scum away from East Prussia which is rightfully ours. I also hear tell that after we receiver our final regiment of cavalry. A National Defense Force will be formed in the Capital, this force will be identical to ours, with 1 general, 10 line infantry, 3 cavalry units and 1 demi-cannon if we can produce them. Once this force is mustered a 2nd Guard Army will also be created once again identical and that will strike north towards Riga and take Ingria. Now as a lieutenant promoted for apparent "Natural leadership skills". As one of 2 lieutenants I command a section of 80 men in our Regiment. The senior lieutenant approached me yesterday and told me, "Never be too hard on the men or they will resent you, and you may suffer an unfortunate accident in battle neither be too lax as they could become mutinous and rebel and finally lead from the front and give the men a lesson of leading from the front and they will follow." I replied, "Thank you I was only a simple farmer before the draft and I have never even been in combat." "Well carry on then." I left and reflected on this, all of this information had already occurred to me and I had already acted upon it, perhaps I am a natural leader of men.

finian1712

Darn no feedback...

its nice, but that was just a short segment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast