Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unit Mini Preview: Normanni

Default Unit Mini Preview: Normanni

Normanni
    It is well-known that the Normans were descended from recent Viking settlers in northern France. It is often overlooked however what a huge impact they had on the early era of the Middle Ages. After 1066 Normandy, although a county was thriving with having conquered England itself. The Normans were direct continuations of the Viking style of merchants, colonisers, sea-farers and warriors. Normans, enjoying the sudden bloom of their homeland, quickly exploded across Europe with strength in numbers and arms during the 11th century. They were key populations in the nobility and warrior classes of England, Scotland, Sicily, Byzantium, Armenia and Syria. We could even speak of this period as being the late Viking Age, or perhaps the Norman Age. For Norman cavalry was considered a highly potent force in many theatres of conflict. Based on a Germanic tradition of using small, sturdy horses that were power-houses in melée and on rough terrain, Normans would first harrass enemy formations with thrown spears before charging into broken defences relying on the brute force of mere sword and shield. Due to the innate martial skills and economy of their origins, Norman equipment was state of the art. Normans were themselves spreading the use of many military fashions due to their own prolific efficiency. Often using Nordic flat-bottomed longboats, Normans even in the Mediterranean could transport an entire cavalry company on one of these single swift, light vessels and have them assault enemy positions. The rapid advance of the Siculo-Normans across southern Italy and into Greece, as well as their success in the First Crusade is often attributed to the Norman expertise of amphibious mobilisations. They were a form of post-Norse marine cavalry if you will, a highly successful cadre of Northern European aggression.

-Sumskilz
    We have a lot of new previews coming soon, so this time I'll just let the unit pics speak for themselves.

Credits:

Models: Sumskilz incorporating the work of Ronin and Lance of the Rusichi mod and shield models by Pacco.

Textures: Pacco incorporating the work of Ronin and Lance of the Rusichi mod and normal map by Sumskilz

Horse Textures: Argent Usher with minor modifications by Sumskilz

Unit Concept and Description: Hross

*** Preview Render with 2D Art by Pacco ***
    Last edited by sumskilz; August 15, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Default Re: Unit Mini Preview: Normanni

Sweet, appreciate the hard work and I hope life is treating you well Sumskillz!

And Pacco too! You guys rock!

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    Sweet, appreciate the hard work and I hope life is treating you well Sumskillz!
    Thanks, I appreciate the support. Though I did put a lot of work into this one, I think Pacco did as much or more.
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    And Pacco too! You guys rock!

pacco's Avatar -master-of-none-

Skinner and modeller for Roma Surrectum
    Under the patronage of Tone
    my shield collection

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

Excellent! I love the shields.

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Well done you, how nice. Will they be a mercenary unit, or a factional one for the English and Sicilians?

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

It will be similar to some cultural units for every Catholic faction, with regional variations and name variations, afaik.

Hross: The Normans themselves will be available to Scotland and England, but also France, Siciliy and some Mediterranean factions in a regional capacity.
    Last edited by Hengest; August 15, 2009 at 08:29 AM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

you wouldn't want to meet them in a dark alley
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Very nice!

Recon's Avatar Decanus

This is defiantly one of the many reasons why we are still waiting patiently for DotS. Bloody nice man! Great historical detail on it all!

PS: Where are the shields at in the second last screenshot?

Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    PS: Where are the shields at in the second last screenshot?
    Good eye, Recon! I must have put the wrong comment on the shield model so that they aren't using them when they switch to swords.

I'll fix 'em.
    Last edited by sumskilz; August 15, 2009 at 01:14 PM.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Very nice!

Though, any chance they will have more face variations?
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    Very nice!

Though, any chance they will have more face variations?
    We can usually only fit about four face texture variations per unit, because there is limited texture real estate. If we do fewer variations on other equipment we can do more faces. I could create more variations of the face models like I did with the Ildutei Saicud which would make four textures look like more than four different faces. I'd like to get to that at some point, but replacing all the vanilla units is a higher priority right now.

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Nice Normans, really good work!

awesome. unit quality is superb... can't wait!!!

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

great units

Nice work, fellas.
    Son of PW

Very very nice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast