Thread: Mod switcher

Default Mod switcher

So after browsing the forums all day at work because this game has me completely addicted to not only the game but the history aspect, I read up on some of these major mods that look like they are on the eve of being released (Troy, RTR, etc)

Now, right now I'm only using MMv2 and I did make a copy of my data folder in case anything goes wrong but once these mods come out is there a way to switch what mod you want to play? Instead of copying original data folder back in, then installing the new mod and rinse and repeat every time you want to switch it up.

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

your the man, thanks

I know this is going to sound a bit stupid to you ER:

but basically is it possible for me to run RTR on RMOD and another Pack SigniferOnes Anim Pack with RMOD?, if so is it the same as normal or do i do something dirrerent?

Julius

PS: Thanks in advance for help

Not at all, JC. It's perfectly easy to combine two mods, I've done it with SPQR, Skymod and Proper Wonders.

RTR uses an auto-installer, right? What you do is run the auto-installer but direct the target to a new empty folder. The installer will then produce all the files into that location. Then you add SigniferOne's Anim Pack to that same folder, in the same way as if you were installer it to the real Data folder.

Then you use that new folder to create your RMOD file.

No, you misunderstood, the RTR install has ZOR files in the root directory like RTRPATCHER.BAT etc.. so how do i get those to run, it also includes ZOR+ and ZORcode!, so would it still work. Thanks for the help though. I meant that could I just have an RMOD with the ANIM pack, would it work?

Julius

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    Not at all, JC. It's perfectly easy to combine two mods, I've done it with SPQR, Skymod and Proper Wonders.

RTR uses an auto-installer, right? What you do is run the auto-installer but direct the target to a new empty folder. The installer will then produce all the files into that location. Then you add SigniferOne's Anim Pack to that same folder, in the same way as if you were installer it to the real Data folder.

Then you use that new folder to create your RMOD file.

If I have installed SPQR allready, do you recommend I reinstall RTW and then apply the Modswitcher thing so that I can switch between RTR and SPQR, or can I just do so without having to have a clean version of RTW?...

(Basically do I require a clean version of RTW?)
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Yes, you do require a clean version of RTW, I also recommend that once you have installed it then make a clean backup of your RTW directory, then apply mods to it,

Julius

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

You don't need a backup. You can just uninstall any mod you install with the modswitcher.

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Caesar
    No, you misunderstood, the RTR install has ZOR files in the root directory like RTRPATCHER.BAT etc.. so how do i get those to run, it also includes ZOR+ and ZORcode!, so would it still work. Thanks for the help though. I meant that could I just have an RMOD with the ANIM pack, would it work?
    Okay, that doesn't sound like a stupid question to me at all I'm afraid I don't have the experience with RTR to know what those files do or how they're referenced. I would guess just copying those files above the data folder across manually should be okay.

As for the anim pack, again I'm afraid I haven't used it. Is this a patch.pak? I've had no trouble using a mod that include a patch pak to make an RMOD. Equally, you can put a pak in before or after the RMOD, so long as it doesn't have the same name as a pak in the mod. If I have completely misunderstood you again, apologies, I can only suggest try it and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prarara
    If I have installed SPQR allready, do you recommend I reinstall RTW and then apply the Modswitcher thing so that I can switch between RTR and SPQR, or can I just do so without having to have a clean version of RTW?...

(Basically do I require a clean version of RTW?)
    I don't think you require it, but I would recommend it. The Mod Switcher just looks at the files in the mod and pastes them into the game data folder, making back-ups of any files that it overwrites. So if you have SPQR installed and you install a SPQR compatible mini-mod then there shouldn't be any trouble.

But I would recommend using a clean version as your base as there are a whole lot more mods available for vanilla than there are expansion mods for any one individual mod.

Hmm, I successfully made a rmod for darthmod but making one for Mundus Magnus isnt working. It says it installs but theres no Provincial Campaign option in the menu..anyone have any tips for a helpless newb?

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    Okay, that doesn't sound like a stupid question to me at all I'm afraid I don't have the experience with RTR to know what those files do or how they're referenced. I would guess just copying those files above the data folder across manually should be okay.

As for the anim pack, again I'm afraid I haven't used it. Is this a patch.pak? I've had no trouble using a mod that include a patch pak to make an RMOD. Equally, you can put a pak in before or after the RMOD, so long as it doesn't have the same name as a pak in the mod. If I have completely misunderstood you again, apologies, I can only suggest try it and find out.
    So whatdo i do with the RTR files, where do I place them? Do I just leave them in the main RTW directry outside of The RMOD file or what?

That would be my guess. Try it out.

It doesnt work, just reverts back to a VERY buggy vanilla, I now have to copy back my clean data file!

So long as you didn't change anything in the Data folder after installing through the Mod Switcher then you should be able to uninstall using the Mod Switcher and have it revert to the way it was originally.

I've downloaded RTR 5.4.1 to have a look at it and the only RTR files I can see outside the Data folder are the readme, RTR-DE-Patcher.bat, RTR-Patcher.bat and ZoR_System.txt

It appears to me that none of these items are referenced by the game, the ZoR_System is for the player's interest, RTR-Patcher.bat just deletes the two map.rwm files in the base and RTR campaign folder when the mod is installed, that can be done through the Mod Switcher where it asks what files to delete. RTR-DE-Patcher.bat looks like it just moves the loading screens from backup to loading screens when the mod's installed.

Did you enter map.rwm as a file to be deleted? If not, that could lead to a buggy version of vanilla.

SignifierOne's anims all operate beneath the Data folder. so there shouldn't be any problem with including them in the RMOD.

Well done for keeping a back-up vanilla data file BTW, I personally have paid the price for that omission in the past

Default Modswitcher trobule. "Out of Memory"

Maybe I am on the wrong track but I get a Modswitcher message saying "Out of Memory" when I am trying to create the second RMOD. The first containing the DMC upgrade worked fine. Now I am trying to get the RTR 6.3 in. Before installing Modswitcher i loaded the 6.3 using th JSGME tool with no problem
    I have loads of harddisc space and 2Gbyte memory. It can surely not be problems with capacity. Has any of you encountered the same problem?

Thanks.