Thread: How to play ExRM prior to v4.0 with the RTW 1.5 exe or Alex.exe

Default How to play ExRM prior to v4.0 with the RTW 1.5 exe or Alex.exe

This post by Finn explains all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    In order to play EXRM with the RTW EXE you need to do the following......

How to run this under RTW.exe:
    1) Open export_descr_units.txt
    2) Delete all instances of shield_wall (should be none in 3.3.3)
    3) Delete all instances of can_swim
    4) Delete all instance of schiltrom

And this post explains how to run the ExRM with Alexander.exe (by Lord Nova):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=750

Here's what to do if you get a stringtable error:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=255317&page=2

This thread elucidates the trait file alterations a little more:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=397418

Note: Unfortunately, v4.0 makes use of hording, so it's incompatible with Alex.exe
    Last edited by Quinn Inuit; June 07, 2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Updated regarding v4.0

Senator

Default Re: How to play ExRM with the RTW 1.5 exe or Alex.exe

Do you still need to do this for 3.5.3 or have they already been deleted in it?

Caesar Augustus's Avatar Senator

This will need to be done for version 3.5.3

I guess at some point we could look at putting an installer together which has already been edited Quinn?

By the way, you should note that you will not be able to play ExRM 4.0 with either the RTW 1.5 or the Alex.exe, due to some BI specific features
    Please leave your name if you rep. It will be returned

Senator

Fair enough - i'd just read that Alex.exe strategic AI was better, with it grouping troops into single stacks before attacking and retraining understrength units back up to strength, but maybe i'm mixed up there and Extended Realism is my favourite RTW mod whichever exe it's for (next favourite being EB)

Caesar Augustus's Avatar Senator

There are certain aspects of the Alex AI that are deemed superior, but we can't horde using Alex so BI it is

Also, it's generally accepted that many more people own BI than Alex, which is another good reason to use the BI engine.

Though I believe your correct about Alex retraining and attacking in force
    Please leave your name if you rep. It will be returned

Senator

This thread and the links from it are helpful but nowhere near enough to actually get the game working with ALX.exe.

Can anyone tell me which files i need to change or replace and how to change or replace them. I understand that i need to delete all can_swim, schiltron etc from the export_descr_unit.text in the RTW/ExRM/data folder - and i understand how to make the shortcut file for Alex and how to copy and paste the chat file.

I need help with the other things though (e.g the replacement of map files - which ones? from where? to where? - and on resetting the campaign map - how do i do that please?)

If anyone can can you please spell every part of it out - e.g 'simply reset the map bat' means nothing to me without an explanation.

An installer or patch for getting 3.5.3 to work with ALX would be amazing if anyone has the time and knowledge to make it.
    Last edited by Dunadd; October 13, 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Senator

here are certain aspects of the Alex AI that are deemed superior, but we can't horde using Alex so BI it is
    Can't you just make some units with either zero upkeep or else very low upkeep for armies to represent 'hordes' , even in Alex?

Better AI seems like something far more players will care about than whether there are hordes or how they're organised

it's generally accepted that many more people own BI than Alex, which is another good reason to use the BI engine.
    They do, but Alexander is easy (and very cheap) to get second hand from Amazon. If you make a mod for it they'll spend the 2 or 3 euros or pounds or dollars required to get a second han copy of Alex TW in the post (including postage).

Carados's Avatar Senator

We'll be sticking with BI for 4.0, but I suspect at one point we'll have a serious look at doing something for alexander.

Can't you just make some units with either zero upkeep or else very low upkeep for armies to represent 'hordes' , even in Alex?
    No
    Hordes have the "sack" option and aren't under the normal restrictions that the other factions are.
    Developer for the Extended Realism mod for RTR Platinum.
    Developer for RTRVII and protégé of Caligula Caesar

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Senator

Would be nice if there was some Alex optional installer/patch for it.

(Oh btw the link to the AA Alexander files zip in lord Nova's patch leads to a dead download now)