Thread: [HoI3] I want HOI3 now! but..

Default [HoI3] I want HOI3 now! but..

I have downloaded the demo, it's bloody amazing and so in depth and strategic. This game will make a refreshing change to ETW lol. I live in the U.K and the game has not been released as a disc yet, in fact it was meant to be release tommorow but it has been delayed another 8 days (just got email from amazon).

Basically my question is, as a U.K resident can i download the game on steam at this time (as official u.k has release not occured yet while U.S has and they can download on steam). If so will my game be a U.S version or are there no regions on steam?

Default Re: I want HOI3 now! but..

Yes you can download the game of Steam, you should be able to download it from GamersGate as well as the digital release was globally at the same time afaik.

Also don't think Steam has region's for games, but if it does, you'll be downloading the UK version.

When it comes to Paradox games I wouldn't really recommend Steam. Paradox does have a tendency to release patches that will at times do more harm then good though generally they correct it within a week or so. Problem with Steam though is you are forced to update the game, so if a new patch is messed up in anyway you'll be stuck with it until they release a hot fix AND Steam uploads the hot fix to the server, which can take a few extra days. If you can't wait for the boxed version then best bet might be either Impulse or Gamers Gate.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

For some reason Paradox games on Steam do not come with a launcher for the actual game. You can still manually patch the game, but you will miss out on the launcher function to select mods and still retain the vanilla game as well.

I suggest Gamersgate. Or I suggest waiting. A patch will come out in 2 weeks, give or take a week, that will hopefully fix most of the major annoyances of the game.

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

i live in UK and managed to get the game on gamersgate
    You look great today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar109 View Post
    When it comes to Paradox games I wouldn't really recommend Steam. Paradox does have a tendency to release patches that will at times do more harm then good though generally they correct it within a week or so. Problem with Steam though is you are forced to update the game, so if a new patch is messed up in anyway you'll be stuck with it until they release a hot fix AND Steam uploads the hot fix to the server, which can take a few extra days. If you can't wait for the boxed version then best bet might be either Impulse or Gamers Gate.
    For some reason Paradox games on Steam do not come with a launcher for the actual game. You can still manually patch the game, but you will miss out on the launcher function to select mods and still retain the vanilla game as well.
    Nope and nope. Automatic updating can easily be turned off in Steam, takes 3 clicks afaik.

Paradox games do come with a launcher, just the Steam client automatically directs straight to the game. Again, it takes at most 4 clicks from what I remember to change which of the 2 programs Steam loads.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well, how bout you tell everyone what to click then. Because I was not aware of that fact. Consider Mount and Blade opens up to the proper game launcher by default.

Lol too late i payed for steam version before i read this (i got too excited at prospect). It seemed convient because i have all my other favourite games on steam, ETW, team fortress 2 ect. Still the game is good

To turn off automatic updates, right click on your game in the 'My games' tab, choose properties, updates, 'Do not automatically update this game'.

To make a game run with a different .exe (I'll use Eu3 for this), go to the Games menu at the top, choose 'Add non-Steam game...', browse, find eu3.exe and click add game. It means there's two Eu3 shortcuts in your Steam My Games tab, but you can name the new one appropriately. There is another way to do it but I can't remember it now.

And yes I realise this will take more than the 3 clicks I said, but it's not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lith View Post
    Nope and nope. Automatic updating can easily be turned off in Steam, takes 3 clicks afaik.
    I thought even if you shut the auto updater off it'll update anyways as soon as you launch the game? Could be wrong I guess, not an expert on Steam just remembered being told a few times not to buy games off of Steam that you know will receive constant support because of patching issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar109 View Post
    I thought even if you shut the auto updater off it'll update anyways as soon as you launch the game? Could be wrong I guess, not an expert on Steam just remembered being told a few times not to buy games off of Steam that you know will receive constant support because of patching issues.
    They don't force you to update, games like ETW might because they make you go through the Steam client thingy, but I don't have it so I don't know.

Even if they did, could keep Steam in offline mode and it wouldn't happen.