Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Discussion: Books on the Diadochi

Default Re: Books on the Diadochi

As always, thanks for all the info you gave us Sardaukar!
    You are welcome.

Can you give me more informations on that "The Wars of Alexander's Successors 323 -281 BC volume II"?
    I did get this book and I did read it. It deals with Eumenes quite a bit. His campaign against Craterus is very informative. I've never come across much detail about this battle. So it was worth just for this.
    Plus Paratakiene and Gabiene are discussed.

The book also goes into a bit of detail about the naval campaigns during this period, and siege warfare.
    Kassander is given some time in the last chapter called Border wars. He had some trouble with the Illyrians etc. And the book points out the great powers often had all sorts of trouble with the puny little tribes, e.g. Antigonus and the Nabateans.
    Also, it talks about the soldiers employed by the dynasts. And the Lamian war is given some attention.

Good stuff for the price. If you have volume I, you should get volume II.

From "Philip II of Macedon" by Ian Worthington. He is quoting Justin.
    There is more, but I just put the parts that compare Alexander and Philip.

(11) Philip was succeeded by his son Alexander, who surpassed his father both in good qualities and bad.
    (12) Each had his own method of gaining victory, Alexander making war openly and Philip using trickery; the latter took pleasure in duping the enemy, the former in putting them to flight in the open. (13) Philip was the more prudent strategist, Alexander had the greater vision. (14) The father could hide, and sometimes even suppress, his anger; when Alexander's had flared up, his retaliation could be neither delayed nor kept in check. (15) Both were excessively fond of drink, but intoxication brought out different shortcomings. It was the father's habit to rush from the dinner party straight at the enemy, engage him in combat and recklessly expose himself to danger; Alexander's violence was directed not against the enemy but against his own comrades. (16) As a result Philip was often brought back from his battles wounded while the other often left a dinner with his friend's blood on his hands. (17) Philip was unwilling to share the royal power with his friends; Alexander wielded it over his. The father preferred to be loved, the son to be feared. (18) They had a comparable interest in literature. The father had greater shrewdness, the son was truer to his word. (19) Philip was more restrained in his language and discourse, Alexander in his actions. (20) When it came to showing mercy to the defeated, the son was temperamentally more amenable and more magnanimous. The father was more disposed to thrift, the son to extravagance. (21) With such qualities did the father lay the basis for a worldwide empire and the son bring to completion the glorious enterprise.

Looks very interesting! Will try to get it, hopefully in an Italian translation. What's the author's name?

For "Philip II of Macedon", the author is Ian Worthington.

"The Wars of Alexander's Successors" is written by Bob Bennett and Mike Roberts.

messiah's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Discussion: Books on the Diadochi

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dividing-Spo...ref=pd_sim_b_6
    I'm going to buy this book pretty soon, I think. Has anyone read it and can give a quick review?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mithridates-...4982722&sr=1-1
    Not really about Diadochi, but I think Mithridates is awesome too. Plus, Pontus was quite a hellenised Asian state, so it's nice to read how the regions in the east evolved after Alexander

EDIT: Forgot to add this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generalship-...983194&sr=8-16

Written by Fuller. I think it could be a quite interesting read, especially since it's written by a well know officer from World War 1. Especially because many Diadochi were inspired in their tactics and bold moves byAlexander himself.
    Last edited by messiah; September 02, 2011 at 12:09 PM.

I read Dividing the Spoils and if you've read about the Diadochi before it goes into some different details that other books haven't covered but for the most part its a nice intro. If this is your first Diadochi book its a great place to start as an introductory book. It skims right through the period right after Alexander's death from the settlement at Babylon all the way to the death of Antigonus to the fall of his Son. Great for the military minded historian. And gives you a nice summary of the events of that time period so you can delve deeper on any of the Diadochi focus studies that are out there along with the research involved with each of the large battles. A good place to start would be my 2 cents.

The Mithridates book I have also read and isn't one of the best books on Mithridates. If you are interested in the Kingdom of Pergamum or Pontus in general there are some better books (http://www.amazon.com/History-Pergam...500345&sr=8-18).. This books has some good coverage of the Near Eastern kingdoms during the hellenistic period http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-323-...5501407&sr=8-1 and is a good one for more than just military studies. The Poison King is another you might like if you are interested particularly in Mithridates. There are a good number of books on Mithridates that I have myself in ebook format that i haven't read yet.

I am mostly interested in Late Graeco/Hellenistic-Republican Romano military history and have studied it at Temple University while taking Computer Science courses which is nice as it gave me access to tons of books online. Recently i've got back into the Diadochi era after reading another Pen & Sword book: http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Pyrrh...Epirus/p/1941/. Pyrrhus and the Epirotes are heavily involved in the struggle for the Macedonian throne when the Diadochi struggles were at their height. So reading about Pyrrhus and his bloodline (Olympias Alexander's mother for one) will get you a nice connection with the struggles of the Diadochi all the way right into the Romanesque period.

I haven't read the third in your list but I have it as an ebook, let me know what you think on here as i'd like to hear what you think.

Overall the best modern books I've read on the Diadochi recently are the ones that are mentioned often in this thread: The Wars of Alexander's Succesors Volume I and II are great because they delve right into the topic and assume you know who the characters are. Which is nice as when you study ancient history or any history for that matter there is a lot of redundancy as you probably know. The list on the first post is a good place to start too. Eumenes and Demetrius are interesting characters and both have some great books on them.

From Samarkland to Sardis is on the web for free via Google Books if you are interested in the Seleucids.

But i'm getting off topic. Those are some nice picks messiah and I think you'll enjoy them.
    Last edited by phillyslimm; September 08, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Ah yes, I read that book on Pyrrhos. I think it has been mentioned in this thread too

Same guys who wrote "Wars of Alexander's Successors" have written the book "Twilight of the Hellenistic World":
    http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Twili...-World/p/3183/
    Last edited by messiah; October 15, 2011 at 01:22 PM.

thank you OP impressive thread :-)

I would like to read book about Aristotle and Alexander relation and mutal influence made on each other. Any rec?

No one able to answer my question 5 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    I would like to read book about Aristotle and Alexander relation and mutal influence made on each other. Any rec?
    I don't know that a non-fiction book focusing specifically on that relationship exists, but Alexander's youth and education are described in most of his biographies. There is, however, a novel about Aristotle and Alexander. It's fiction, but since we know all about Aristotle's beliefs from his philosophical writings, it's possible to deduce what Aristotle taught him. I haven't read it, but it looks promising.

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Mean-Ar...dp/0307740684/

Amazing! And you registered just to recommand me a book. I owe you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345