Thread: [Discov] Dutch fluyt discovered near Stockholm.

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Default [Discov] Dutch fluyt discovered near Stockholm.

400-Year-Old Shipwreck Discovered in Stockholm Archipelago
    By Pirjo Svensson
    Epoch Times Staff Aug 5, 2009

Swedish divers were surprised to discover a well-kept shipwreck from the 17th century outside the Värmdö municipality, in the archipelago of Stockholm. “We were actually searching for a cargo ship that had sank in the 1940s, but then we found this instead,” Markus Hårde, one of the wreck divers told Svenska Dagbladet, a Swedish paper.
    The shipwreck is probably a Dutch trading ship from early 17th century. Marcus Hårde discovered the wreck together with Anders Backström and Jonas Rydin in May.
    The divers saw a lion figurine on the rudder and nicknamed it the “Lion Wreck.”
    The ship with three masts seems to be well kept, and has been under 141 feet (43 meters) of water for 400 years.
    The divers contacted Johan Rännby, a researcher in marine ecology, at Södertörns University in Stockholm.
    “Why this discovery is exciting is because it is rather old. I have not as yet dived to see it, but by looking at the pictures and films, I am quite convinced it is from the 17th century,” Johan Rönnby said on Monday.
    The ship seems to be a sister to “The Ghost Wreck,” found in 2007 in the middle of the Baltic Sea, East of Gotska Sandön, a tiny island outside east coast of Sweden. After doing research the scientists stated that the Ghost Wreck was a Dutch trading ship from the beginning of 17th century, and was probably used for trade between Amsterdam and Stockholm.
    The ship was specially constructed as a cargo ship that sailed all over the world. It’s assumed that both ships were built in Dutch shipbuilding yards, and the decorations expressed the tradesman’s pride and wealth.
    According to Johan Rönnby there is no place in the world that wins over the Baltic Sea when it comes to ship archaeology. These kind of discoveries from 17th century are hard to beat, because it is like ”diving back in time.”
    “This does not exist anywhere else. Both of the ships are very unique and scientifically it is going to be a lot of fun to see what details will differentiate them,” he said.
    The Swedish County Administrative Board has decided to ban all diving in the area. In August the ship wreck will be subject to more investigation and documentation.

Last Updated
    Aug 7, 2009
    source: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/20598/

Swedish divers have discovered the wreck of a Dutch fluyt in the Baltic sea. Fluyts were dutch cargo vessels with a pear-shaped hull with a narrow deck and a large cargo hold. They were used in large numbers in the 17th and 18th century. The shipwreck is in near perfect condition, its masts are still erected.
    Fluyts are a unique unit for the Dutch(UP) in Empire: Total War where they are depicted as combat worthy tradeships.

This is a video of the Shipwreck.

This is a model of a fluyt.

Fluyts in Empire: Total War
    Last edited by Jagdpanzer; August 11, 2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: adding ETW pic

Default Re: Dutch fluyt discovered near Stockholm.

Amazingly well preserved.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Could this be a Vasa-case ?
    The Vasa was good preserved too, though it used to lay in the port of Stockholm for a couple of centuries

could this be hoisted out of the water, treated with that special preservation mix, restored and put in a museum ?

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

nice! i m watching the clip

Quote Originally Posted by Taxandrius View Post
    Could this be a Vasa-case ?
    The Vasa was good preserved too, though it used to lay in the port of Stockholm for a couple of centuries

could this be hoisted out of the water, treated with that special preservation mix, restored and put in a museum ?
    Yes. According to NOS ceefax the Dutch national cultural heritage agency is trying to acquire the funds to raise the ship.
    Last edited by Jagdpanzer; August 13, 2009 at 07:55 PM.

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I hope they get the funds

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Do they know the name of the ship yet? I know its called the Lion's wreck but what was its real name?

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Do they know the name of the ship yet? I know its called the Lion's wreck but what was its real name?
    I don't think they know its name yet. The ship was discovered in May. They are going to dive for her again at the end of this month.

A wreck has been found in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Sweden which seems to be a 17th century Dutch ship.

The vessel, thought to be of a type known as a fluyt or flute, was found in May at a depth of 43 metres in the Stockholm archipelago by three Swedish divers.

They were actually looking for a ship from the 1940s when they stumbled across the much older vessel. The boat seems in very good condition, as can be seen in the divers' video footage on YouTube. At the end of this month the maritime archaeologists will dive again and, hopefully, establish whether the ship is indeed a Dutch fluyt.

If it is, the Dutch National Cultural Heritage Agency hopes to be able to put the ship on exhibit in Lelystad.
    Source: http://www.rnw.nl/ar/node/17334

The ship is being compared with the Ghost wreck, another wreck of a dutch fluyt which was found in 2007 in the Baltic sea near Sweden. Like the Lion wreck the Ghost wreck is still amazingly well preserved but it's located at a depth of 125 metres which makes it a lot harder to raise. Shipwrecks in the Baltic sea are so well preserved because of the low salinity of the water and low temperatures.

This is a picture of the Ghost wreck.

Dutch source with video of the Ghost wreck: http://www.nos.nl/nosjournaal/artike...k_oostzee.html
    Last edited by Jagdpanzer; August 13, 2009 at 07:42 PM.

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Default Re: [Discov] Dutch fluyt discovered near Stockholm.

Wow.. This is not far from where I live..

Default Re: [Discov] Dutch fluyt discovered near Stockholm.

Amazingly well preserved.
    since water temperatures and pressures are at levels.. the bottom , on the seabed, where this was is usually the same cold temperature and generally.. ships are very well preserved

in the black sea.. same thing.. they have greek ships thousands of years old almost perfectly preserved at the bottom..