Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hardcoded limits

Default Re: Hardcoded limits

How about province/birth ratio? I mean family members limit in R:TW and M2:TW.

I think the number of family births is a hard coded % chance and linked to number of provinces held along with character VnVs. so can be influenced through traits.

Greetings! Anyone still here? I need someone to help me with this: forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?42905-Hard-Coded-Limits , especially about overall unit limits. So, i would like to set limit on unit recruit for more realistic game (for me), and decisive battles, example would be: 4 roman factions= 28 units of hastati limit, and 1 roman faction 7 units of hastati in total. Is this possible? Thank you all!

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Not possible. There's a maximum of 20 units per army, but there's no way to limit the makeup of those 20 units.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Not per army, per game and per faction. In post I linked to is called overall unit number and overall unit number per faction. Anyway, it is said that 500 of each unit in game is recruitable, after that game CTD. My question is can I set something like unit cap on Napoleon total war for elite units, and for example make each Roman faction can recruit only 7 units of hastati, so that is 28 units of hastati in game. Overall unit number 28, and overall unit number per faction 7. I didn't ask for big armies or for more units in stack. Thanks!

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Still not possible, there's no way to limit the number of a particular unit that can recruited in RTW. It might be possible in M2TW with some serious scripting.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Thanks for the answer anyway.

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Hello, I wonder if its possible to bring the "Auto-replenish" system of latest TW games?
    I love RTW's many things but this "Retrain" option is mostly waste of a time especially when you need it for strong units that you can't afford to recruit from any city but only few.

Or how about allowing to recruit more than one unit, build more than one building at a time?

Or using "Retrain" option after Marian reforms to convert old units to new ones?
    Rome II, Attila have similar system to that. It's insta-pay-convert there but well idm either way.

Sorry if there are mods doing these already, I don't have much info of RTW mods sadly as I never used one until recently.
    Last edited by SharpEyed; February 01, 2016 at 04:24 PM.

Battlefield's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    Hello, I wonder if its possible to bring the "Auto-replenish" system of latest TW games?
    I love RTW's many things but this "Retrain" option is mostly waste of a time especially when you need it for strong units that you can't afford to recruit from any city but only few.

Or how about allowing to recruit more than one unit, build more than one building at a time?

Or using "Retrain" option after Marian reforms to convert old units to new ones?
    Rome II, Attila have similar system to that. It's insta-pay-convert there but well idm either way.

Sorry if there are mods doing these already, I don't have much info of RTW mods sadly as I never used one until recently.
    Sorry, but I don't think this is possible within the RTW or MTW 2 engine in my knowledge. None of the script function allows you to replenish a unit.
    Rome Total War mods
    INVASIO BARBARORVM | Roma Surrectum | Rome Total Realism
    Medieval 2 Total War mods
    Stainless Steel | Europa Barbarorum II | Broken Crescent

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

I see, no worries
    And, others are possible?

Battlefield's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    I see, no worries
    And, others are possible?
    For the other features, I am not exactly sure although they are unlikely (But I would love to have them in the game). I will let the expert modders answer this question and perhaps prove me wrong.
    Rome Total War mods
    INVASIO BARBARORVM | Roma Surrectum | Rome Total Realism
    Medieval 2 Total War mods
    Stainless Steel | Europa Barbarorum II | Broken Crescent

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

Hi.
    I don't know about bringing "Auto-replenish" system, but it might be useful to you to know that you can replenish one unit with another same unit in same army on campaign map by draging one unit card to another. For example, if you have 5 full (on small scale 20 men i think) units of hastati, and after battle you lose, let's say, 2 men in each unit, you can replenish 4 units with one same unit and have 4 full units and 1 unit of 10 men that needs to be replenished in city. In the same way you can transfer ancillaries between generals.
    You can mod files which will allow you to to recruit more than 1 unit in a turn, and build more than 1 building, or reduce construction time.
    You can mod file that will allow you to recruit pre-Marian units after reform, but i don't think you can convert them to post-Marian units.
    First thing is very helpful to know, but other things change game a lot, and in my opinion reduces challenge and ruins game if not modded properly.

Thanks for the answers first of all;

Quote Originally Posted by StefanS View Post
    Hi.
    I don't know about bringing "Auto-replenish" system, but it might be useful to you to know that you can replenish one unit with another same unit in same army on campaign map by draging one unit card to another. For example, if you have 5 full (on small scale 20 men i think) units of hastati, and after battle you lose, let's say, 2 men in each unit, you can replenish 4 units with one same unit and have 4 full units and 1 unit of 10 men that needs to be replenished in city.
    Which called merging, yes I know you can and all other TW games also have it.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanS
    In the same way you can transfer ancillaries between generals.
    Yea I didn't know that one before but read on somewhere lately. Imo it's very crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanS
    You can mod files which will allow you to to recruit more than 1 unit in a turn, and build more than 1 building, or reduce construction time.
    You can mod file that will allow you to recruit pre-Marian units after reform, but i don't think you can convert them to post-Marian units.
    First thing is very helpful to know, but other things change game a lot, and in my opinion reduces challenge and ruins game if not modded properly.
    You're right about challenge stuff;
    They didn't put any limited slot for buildings, so you can build as much as you want, which must be the reason why its "one at a time"
    As well as you don't need a general to make an army and you can recruit from everywhere so maybe you shouldn't be able recruit more than one at a time, on same place.

But still I think both could be 2 at a time. As it's a bit time killing other way.. Also idk why Agent recruiting (even Diplomat) aren't seperated from military recruiting..
    So do you know which file (or files) it is that I need?

Nah I don't like to recruit pre-Marian (thou Triarii is always looking badass to me) but its good to know you can.

- - - -

Regarding Auto-Replenish; Family members can, so can't you also use that mechanic for others?
    Last edited by SharpEyed; February 05, 2016 at 05:50 PM.

That is the mechanism of the game, it's different from post Medieval 2 total series. You can also mod that you can recruit post-Marian troops before reform. Just to say, reform is when 1 of the 3 Roman families (not Senate) build imperial palace in Italy.
    Files that you need is: "export_descr_unit", and "export_descr_buildings" in folder where you installed game (Activision-RTW-Data). I think you should have all the explanations on the begining of the text in both files. Auto-replenish consern, maybe someone can tell if that is possible, but I don't think so.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Are there any limits to the number of "wonders" you can have on the strat_map?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Does this still get updated?

Some more export_descr_building limits were discovered in this thread (Read
    Suppanut's posts)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt..._buildings-txt
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Well... about how to create a new complete system of recruiment in RTW, I have a suggestion...

It is possible to use the alexander expansion mercenary system like a global recruiment system and use militar buildings to allow loyalty... or combining both systems, making militia or simple units recuitable by the mercenary system and elite units at the city military buildings.

I think that combining the both systems it can be more realistic. Militia count like the population of the farmers in your province, while the elite units are taken from city proffesional soldiers.

As well mercenaries can be recruit with an specific buildings in some regions... I have created that building in RTRA III.
    I dont know the limits of the mercenary.txt entries... it has to be explored.

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

Hehe well such old game still has many secrets to be discovered

I love RTW in many ways but Recruitment is kinda dumb imo.
    You have one slot, plus you can't recruit a Land unit and an agent at the same time. Or a battle ship, or at least 2 different Units for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon de Atenas View Post
    Well... about how to create a new complete system of recruiment in RTW, I have a suggestion...

It is possible to use the alexander expansion mercenary system like a global recruiment system and use militar buildings to allow loyalty... or combining both systems, making militia or simple units recuitable by the mercenary system and elite units at the city military buildings.

I think that combining the both systems it can be more realistic. Militia count like the population of the farmers in your province, while the elite units are taken from city proffesional soldiers.

As well mercenaries can be recruit with an specific buildings in some regions... I have created that building in RTRA III.
    I dont know the limits of the mercenary.txt entries... it has to be explored.
    Hmm so non-Elite units can be 'bought' from anywhere, or they will be Unlocked through buildings still but won't be recruited from Cities.
    This way we can at least separate the Agent recruiting from non-Elite units.

How about Retraining them thou? And will this Buying effect City population -which it should- ?

Also, instead of this, can't we make Agents be 'Bought' (as in games post-ETW) and let Units stay as is?
    Last edited by SharpEyed; March 17, 2018 at 01:41 AM.

RTW recruiment system was updated in others mod by script, specially Rome Surrectum II and much more related with AI improvement.

I like traditional system, donīt ask me why...

But my point is that:

- Agents, Ships and Elite units could be recruited in capital military buildings (taken from city population).
    - Mercenaries, Militia, Elephants, Chariots, Siege, etc could be recruited by ATW mercenary system (not taken from city population).

In this case, you will never recomplete these units, you only hire more in the avalaible provinces. You only can recomplete Elite and Ships units.

Even not been the best solution, AI used to hire mercenaries frecuently, so they will raise armies easily but in a controlled way (you can limited the recruitment per region). This system is much better than 0-turn recruiment, that usually produce huge crazy enemy armies until cities are empty...

In addition, militia and other dont need any specific building, they are only farmers and people of the province "called to arms".

I think that this make sense and it is manegeable recruitment system that it can be improved by script with other features.

I hope that this is useful.

=)

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

Ok your target is different and I unfortunately not know much about RTW mods.

So Militia won't require population and let's say that it's fine but how about 'Normal' units that aren't 'Elite' ?