Thread: So I'm fascinated; how did Darth crack the AI??

Default So I'm fascinated; how did Darth crack the AI??

I thought all the AI battlefield controls were beyond the reach of the modders. So what has Darth, or rather the Darth team (?) done to break into the AI so that they can rescue RTW from it's wretched battlefield performance in it's vanilla form? Did you guys crack some coded files? Have you contsructed an API for dealing with the AI?

Telll us! Tell us! Oh, tell us!!!

i think it's one man.but he just edited the desc files ( really don't know which ).
    Manstein16 This is especially for you and your bill.

Bruticus the Steadfast's Avatar Civitate

No one has been able to "Crack" the Hardcodes yes. He just changed the text files to make the AI "think" a bit better I suppose.

There is plenty of stuff here on it. Look around.
    Under the patronage of the Black Prince

it really is amazing what one person with some motivation and innovation can do, eh?

I just love his battle system

Bruticus the Steadfast's Avatar Civitate

I still have YET to try it. Sorry Darth, but eventually lol.
    Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

well i just dl'ed it today and im gonna give my self a shot at playing it.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

zemaniak's Avatar Libertus

Love the AI, benn playing my first campaign since 6 months... but I dunno why, but player movement is screwy now inside towns, and A LOT worse in large cities with stone walls... I can't move units well or they don't respond well on walls, and moving inside the city

madd069's Avatar Biarchus

To me that always happened in vanilla. Its seemed when i told units to get off the wall, the went for the farthest tower.

zemaniak's Avatar Libertus

funny, I didn't experience it as bad as it is now

He didn't crack the AI, he only modified the formation_ai file in suck a way the generals become harder to kill (less suicide attacks) and position forces more effectively. This file can simply be edited by everone with a basic text editor, so no hard code is modified.

Default Re: So I'm fascinated; how did Darth crack the AI??

wouuld it be possible to chang the hardline code so that preformance wouldnt deteriorate at a certain amount of men? i them mention that on wikipedia website( the encyclopedia thing) they said CA never released the source code, but that if they did, or someone got into the code, the game engine could be edited so that MANY more units could be on screen without performane degredation.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Well thats a bit impossible. For every unit on the field, some processor and ram power needs to be used, so performance will always degrade if you have huge armies, unless you have an uber computer.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruticus the Steadfast
    No one has been able to "Crack" the Hardcodes
    Its been done, at least thats what I have heared through the grape vine. Of course no one has publicly advertised it in this community.

Hey all,

I gotta say, Lord Vader's mod is the most AI savvy mod that I've played yet.

It's Lord Vader's AI 1st, then a tie between SPQR and Vladdio daddio's mods.

I mean if you WANT a challenge, you'll REALLY get it with Lord Vader's mod.

I have great experience getting beat down! HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Seriously though, it's tough AI.

S.L.H.1

BTW, Lord Vader, if you read this, why not implement Vlad's BI mod? IMO, it'll prob. be the best.

Its been done, at least thats what I have heared through the grape vine. Of course no one has publicly advertised it in this community.
    Isnt cracking the hardcode illegal? Thats what i heard anyway..

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Yes it is illegal, hence why it cannot be publically advertised, or even released. If it was released at TWC, it would disappear in about 5 seconds considering that it is illegal, and we don't want to **** Ca off.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

what about these movement paths in cities..can that be fixed??
    i dont know how its in vanilla so i cant tell if its worse in DM or not. i just wonder is it possible to add more movementpaths in cities or is that hardcoded..because that is sometimes anoying. especially in a hard mod where you cant afford half your army going for a walk.
    the most annoying thing is when you want to defend your village core and move a unit say from the west side to the north side to reinforce a battleline. instead of going there directly the units will walk to the center and then to the north.. gee i dont have time for that when my main battleline is taken appart by the enemy.
    ok this is not a complaint and sure not a DM attack. i just wonder if there are ways to improve it or if we just have to live with it.

Generally what you witness in DarthMod is a trully large list of modifications.
    Indeed the heavy modding of formation_ai.txt file is one of the most vital and can be used to other mods (As I do adaptations if possible)
    It is a file that can exhaust the creativity of a person who can find some hours to modify it since I have done so many things to revolution the formation AI engine that I really feel akward when I see that the designers have not done even the 10% of what was needed to make the game better with this file.
    (The most revolutionary were:
    1)Specification of formations for each faction style
    2)Closed set of full role formations for each faction Ai
    3)Really new force AI behaviour commands...etc)

CA was bored to create smthg in this file and just produced some childish random formations....just like they did not care if the game would not sell if it got crap....

But there are also many other things that make DarthMod battle feel different and realistically difficult:
    -mass settings
    -careful unit balance
    -careful campaign balance etc.etc.etc

All these affect the AI.

Just imagine a clever person forced to work every day in an undesirable environment...will he make a difference....no!
    If we give to him what he wants...he will prevail!