View Poll Results: Which Man and Book Do You Like Best?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ovid; Metamorphosis

1 12.50%
  • Dante; Inferno

5 62.50%
  • Mark Twain; Letters From the Earth

2 25.00%
  • Voltaire; Candide

0 0%

Thread: Which One Do You Like Best?

Default Which One Do You Like Best?

I have read all this books, although I didn't quite finish Metamorphosis... My question is; Which one did you like best and which man do you prefer in the context of his ideas... yes, that is it; which ideas do you prefer?

I thought the philosophy of Ovid was rather interesting and good to discuss (hint hint), I mean, that everything is a metamorphosis is a nice idea, and perhaps not only nice but also truthful for even our bodies change to become earth...

Dante I liked least. But not to say that it wasn't interesting, just that compare to the other books it was rather less interesting.

Mark Twain's book was good in helping one think of a non-Christian god and also on realizing certain things about christianity...

Voltaire's book was delightful with the satire in it. His philosophy is also rather interesting.

So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Jesus The Inane; July 05, 2005 at 06:59 PM.
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Default Actually

Dante, Inferno was only part of the book, it isn't a book on it's own...you're looking for La Comedia Divina.

Inferno only happens to be the most well known of the three parts.
    A.A. Social Sciences Emphasis

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

The Divine Comedy, definently.
    I've not heard of two of the other ones, and the other one I have heard of...well, it's by Voltaire, and I hate voltaire with a seething rage of insane bloodlust.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnęte Homme.

Candide, for 2 different reasons :
    1)I find it awfully funny, yet awfully true. I had to *study* it for the baccalaureat (the french A level), and yet it never got tedious ...
    2) never read any of the others

Having read many parts of Ovid in the original, and not reading Dante in the original, I can say that Ovid is the better poet. I also almost fully agree with his philosophy.
    "And virtue is a harmonious disposition, choice-worthy for its own sake and not from hope or fear or any external motive. Moreover, it is in virtue that hapiness consists; for virtue is the state of mind which tends to make the whole of life harmonious."

-Diogenes Laertius

Be sure to check out Homer Reborn : The place where the Classics come alive.