Thread: AI armies annoying

Don_yuri's Avatar Libertus

Icon8 AI armies annoying

Hey,

Im playing with the retrofit mod on H/VH and the enemy armies are either 90% cavalry or 90% archers/xbows. In the cavalry armies, I justr wait for them to charge and kill them, but it makes the game extremely un-fun, in the archer armies, I get pwned so I just try and avoid them. Can somone please tell me if this is because of the difficulty(first time playing H/VH, first time this happens) or maybe its the mod, or maybe its both? Please help me so this dosent happen next time. Btw scotland is an exeption to this, they made nice balanced armies, filled with infantry. I kept them alive for a bit since fighting them was the only time I was having fun.

Also, a positioning strat for arquebusiers would be appreciated. I put mine on the frontline, they shoot 2 volleys, then I retreat them to the back and thats all they do. I HATE THEM.

Thanks

Imperator Romani's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: AI armies annoying

Can't help you in the first paragraph. Try to put them on a hill or on a side, like this.

< ------- >

That way they don't hit your troops, and try to line them up into two ranks. That way you get maximum use.

In my vanilla campaign the french armies sometimes compose like 15 ballistas, catapults and trebuchets. I just send my cavalry and thats it.

Double A's Avatar person man

Unless you're the Danes I don't see why you're complaining about archer armies, but Norse War Clerics and Scouts still work against them...

Maybe if you made it Vh/Vh it would work better?
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

The problem with the all archer armies is(im the HRE btw, so I use gothic knights) that when I send my cavalry for the charge, I take out 4 crossbowmen battallions(I make armies with 2-4 cavalry units in them). I then retreat them, to charge the other crossbowmen. While my cavalry retreat, they get completely pelted with arrow fire and half of them are dead right there. Very annoying. Also since im on VH battle difficulty, my mens morale is pitiful, and even when I was facing weak aztec units, my zwei handers and gothic knights would retreat at first contact with the enemy, so that dosent help either.

Thompson45cal.'s Avatar Ordinarius
    The Great State of Texas and George W. Bush ain't no Texan.......

sacrifical peasants they call them....... send a line of them toward the enemy archers prior to your assualting ....... gives the enemy a target besides your cavalry.

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

If you have a merchant's guild, recruit some merchant cavalry militias to absorb some damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Don_yuri View Post
    The problem with the all archer armies is(im the HRE btw, so I use gothic knights) that when I send my cavalry for the charge, I take out 4 crossbowmen battallions(I make armies with 2-4 cavalry units in them). I then retreat them, to charge the other crossbowmen. While my cavalry retreat, they get completely pelted with arrow fire and half of them are dead right there. Very annoying. Also since im on VH battle difficulty, my mens morale is pitiful, and even when I was facing weak aztec units, my zwei handers and gothic knights would retreat at first contact with the enemy, so that dosent help either.

How far into the game are you? I almost never see all archer armies. The rich AI factions tend to spam quite a few mercenaries, but I almost never see all archers.

The simple solution is to split the cavalry up to attack from three directions. I also would not try to disengage from the melee unless you can keep the enemy crossbows engaged in the melee with other cavalry units since as you saw they tear into the rear of the retreating cavalry units.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Icon5 Re: AI armies annoying

Ohhh all very good tactics, il try all of em. Never thought of sacrificial pesants, and dividing into 3 groups and not disengaging is also an amazing idea. Also im never gonna play on Vh battle difficulty again. Aztecs scare off my gothic knights and zwei handers after 2 seconds of combat. Thanks guys.

I also have another question, this time about archers. I have yet to find an FAQ on them, and im not sure I use them correctly. For bowmen, I put them infront of my army. If enemy attacks they get 2-3 volley in(1 volley if its xbow) then I retreat them behind my lines, where they shoot arrows 100 feet in the air, and they probably kill as ,many of my men as the enemies. With archers I make them shoot fire arrows witch is a little bit more usefull. Arquebusiers are garbage + broken, so I wont even bother. If im attacking the enemy, I usually dont go in shoot outs with enemy archers, as I dont see the point. If I dont kill them, theyll just go in the back of they're army and do the same thing mine do, give casualties to both teams and barely hit anyone. I just flank with Cavalry and take em out later anyways. I only make exellent use of archers while defending in sieges, where I win almost all the time. If im on higher ground, my archers are a little bit more usefull since they can shoot the enemy army without being charged or shot back at. If anyone has tips on how to use archers without terrain advantage, AKA where ot place them etc. it would be very appriciated. Btw I dont make them flank since it takes half an hour for them to get on the flank, and when they arrive an enemy attacks them so I need to send a battalion to protect them. That means theres and enemy and allied battlion blocking they're shot, so they still shoot up high.

I'd suggest not using fire arrows

Yeah fire arrows are a complete waste of ammo (unless you're besieged) and normal arrows does the job of fire arrows...except 10x better.

Yea but fire arrows will still scare them away, even if they only kill 1 guy(witch is hard even then)

Double A's Avatar person man

They only work it they're shooting at a unit who would flee at the sight of peasants. Unless everything you got is engaged and that unit's trying to flank don't use them. And they take 3x longer to reload.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Yes but if I just make my archers shoot form behind my army, they're basicly useless and cause barely any casualties. You guys are saying I should just put them on auto target and leave em there?

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

First, just to make certain -- we are talking about archers and not crossbows. I do not think crossbows do the flaming arrow thing ever, but just to make certain.

You might have your archers to close to your front line units. It also helps to use your terrain to your advantage. Also, when the archers are on autofire, they select the closest target. This may mean a too much of a straight on shot, too close to your own men, and aiming at crap units that will break anyways.

I never fire flames into a melee area -- never. Your loses in units and morale from friendly fire in the rear of your units will kill you chances.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

So I back the up from my army, with 1-2 pikes to protect them, then you think theyll shoot a bit more straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Don_yuri View Post
    Im playing with the retrofit mod on H/VH and the enemy armies are either 90% cavalry or 90% archers/xbows. In the cavalry armies, I justr wait for them to charge and kill them, but it makes the game extremely un-fun, in the archer armies, I get pwned
    No need to, btw. A more or less 100% crossbowmen army (Milan anyone?) is extremely fine - I´ll counter with a mix of catapults and heavy cavalry even if severely outnumbered. The result is usually 90% dead enemies and moderate losses on the cavalry units. Because in a field battle crossbowmen need someone to allow for their long reload cycles.

Regards,

Thorsten

Thats true, but they still get 1 volley while my HC are running towards them witch kills bout 15% of them right there(Pavise crossbowmen and their damned armor piercing arrows)