Thread: Diplomatic Options

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Icon5 Diplomatic Options

Hey,

I am currently fighting a brutal war against Macedonia - they were my Allies, and started sending armies to stand outside my cities and then tried blockading Tarentum with one trireme (I had a stack of 4 right next to it! stupid AI), anyway I'm also allied with Carthage and Iberia.

They are obviously taking advantage as Carthage has sent a small army (3 units) onto Sicily and Iberia sent 2 ful stacks through Gaul towards Massilia. In both places, I have more than enough troops to repel them for now and still keep fighting Macedonia.

I have a diplomat off in the East trying to get new alliances but both Armenia and Ptolemy do not give me an alliance option when I open talks with them. Selucid and Pergamon are no more, Pontus will soon be no more so I can try with Bosporan, Parthia and Samartian, but what triggers when an alliance is offered as a diplomatic option? I'd use force diplomacy but there is no option to force them into an alliance.

Also, maybe I'm thinking of MTW, but is there no option to tell a faction to remove their troops from your land? Macedonia were trying to force a war from some point back but I needed more armies first. Now I have 7-8 and attacking them in 3 places, but I would rather have been able to demand they remove their troops first and delay starting a war until I was ready without suffering the penalty of devastation.

ta.

ps, never ever ever attack a load of phalanxes across a bridge with an onager to back it up. minced legion

King Nud's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Diplomatic Options

for example: you and pontus are allies, pontus are at war with Armenia, thus being why the armenians won't ally with you. However if you cancelled the alliance with pontus, you could ally with armenia. but as long as they are at war, you cant ally with both.

that situation is happening in your game. that is why you cannot ally with those factions
    Staff Writer at KingJamesGospel.com

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by King Nud View Post
    for example: you and pontus are allies, pontus are at war with Armenia, thus being why the armenians won't ally with you. However if you cancelled the alliance with pontus, you could ally with armenia. but as long as they are at war, you cant ally with both.

that situation is happening in your game. that is why you cannot ally with those factions
    Hmm, don't think so, I aliied with Macedonia, Germania, Gaul, Carthage and Iberia. Macedonia declared war on me so Germania broke our alliance, Iberia and Carthage still notionally allied with me though I don't think for long. GCS are allied and will probably stay that way for now as they are also at war with Macedonia.

I've never allied with an Eastern faction and I'm well aware that I cannot ally with both sides when they are at war. Armenia is at war with Pontus and maybe Ptolemy too. Bosporan, Parthia and Samartia are not at war with anyone right now that I recall. Germania and Gaul both neutral, but I can't ally with either Armenia or Ptolemy yet, must be they have a ceasefire though it won't last long, looks like Armenia took most of Seleucid empire and is finishing off Pontus, Ptolemy took Pergamon so they just have a huge border that is bound to have them at war soon enough.

I'll have to check who is allied with who, probably find they're all allied with Macedonia!

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

I believe this aplies to the second degree as well, implying that being allied to a faction wich is at war with one of their allies also prevents you from allying with them.

For instance you are allied to Macedonia, Macedonia is at war with the Greek City States, the Greek City tates are allied with Pergamum, you can't ally with Pergamum... got it?
    "The only question that remained was whether the founders knew the final result of their creation, or if they themselves where the victims of a misunderstanding.
    In the latter case it was the duty of any thinking human, to press himself into the front of this depraved movement, to perhaps still prevent the extreme, in the former case the founders of this peoples disease must have been true devils; for only in the brain of a monster - not of a human - could the plan for an organisation take meaningfull form, whose purpose must lead toward the end result of a collapse of human culture and thus to the desolation of the world.
    In this case only battle remained as a means of final delivery, battle with any weapons that the human mind, intellect and will are able to comprehend, regardless, of whom fate would gift with it's blessing."

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

What about the dead factions? Apparently, there is a RTW bug that interferes with diplomacy, in that a faction may remain allied to a destroyed faction. The XGM mod has a small script called "Peace with the Dead". It does what it says, breaks an alliance between the living and the dead. I personally have not experienced it yet, though.
    Has anyone experienced it with RS?

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post

...but I would rather have been able to demand they remove their troops first and delay starting a war until I was ready without suffering the penalty of devastation.

ta.
    This would be cool, because i hate it, when other factions send their armies to have a picknick nearby my cities and you cant do anything.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    What about the dead factions? Apparently, there is a RTW bug that interferes with diplomacy, in that a faction may remain allied to a destroyed faction. The XGM mod has a small script called "Peace with the Dead". It does what it says, breaks an alliance between the living and the dead. I personally have not experienced it yet, though.
    Has anyone experienced it with RS?
    I've never known this to cause anything other than an annoyance in RS. It doesn't cause CTD's that I know of.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father