Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum II: Economic System

Default Re: RS2 Economics:

@ray243 but i doubt you will ever have the income to have 20 legions all operational at once i reckon you will have big difficulties to do so!

i love that its will be hard to the end
    i never completed campaign couz if its get too easy i drop it and start new one
    Carthage in RSII will be my first completed campaign

I didn't go over the entire thread, sorry. But I want to ask if settlements are restricted to their size base on history of the time?
    - REVENGE!!!
    - A NEW DYNASTY!!!

no

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Indefinitely Banned

As beastwithin has said, it certainly won't be easy playing as Rome, and we are taking steps to ensure that the challenge remains high to end. The last thing we want to hear is complaints that it's all too easy...if there are complaints of it being too hard, well, people can always play on easy or medium.
    For gods sake, don't go anywhere near Hard/Very Hard...

ye you definitely made that mistake ibram haha

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Yep and he has been whining all since.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
    For gods sake, don't go anywhere near Hard/Very Hard...
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

wel guys, I think that about the economics, it have a lot to do with the kind of experience you're looking for when you're campaigning. One of the greatnesses of RTW is the amount of different approaches it permits for the gamer. Personally, when I have a little bit of time to play (allways find some), and I start a new campaing, the first thing I do is use the well known cheats to charge money on my "account" and build everything there is to build, with both campaign and battle levels in "Very Hard" That way I prevent myself of spending an entire afternoon changing turns in order that profits return. In the lower dificulty levels, the money may be easier, but the game is soooo boring in what concerns to military activity. Of course you lose something of the game when you use cheats, but the economic system in RTW, specially in what concerns to the barbarian factions (my favourites), is made in such ways that turns any serious entertainment impossible. My objective in the game is never to reach the game objectives or finish campaings, but to play with my imagination or recreate historical situations. In my opinion, to finish my statement, the only game in the TW series that have's a good playerfriendly economic system is Empire. But I'm looking foward to try this.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Friendly might not be the right word. Amazing, tense, breathtaking falls closer.

Look at poor Ibram. He never knew what would happen to him by setting everything on H/VH... and now? Truly, the RSII team's goal is to give everything into your hands, let you command a living, breathing empire; but you will have to feel the pains of a crisis on your own skin, you will have to shout at your treasurers where your money is disappearing, you will have to ask yourself where all those enemy armies are coming from. A few major and minor heart-attacks per battle are common. Always play privately, so that you can cry for hours when you lost your most loyal legion.......

And meanwhile... try and enjoy the beautiful units, the awesome environment, the epic music, the interesting animations; laugh a bit at your general's well thought out traits, learn history through descriptions, and much much more! All in all, get ready to live through one of the best gaming experiences you have encountered.

"This is a time of Battle. A time of Total War. Behold, Rome Arises!"
    ()

Quote Originally Posted by Elendil of Númenor View Post
    Friendly might not be the right word. Amazing, tense, breathtaking falls closer.
    Yes, I totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Elendil of Númenor View Post
    Always play privately, so that you can cry for hours when you lost your most loyal legion.
    Lol, a thousand militia/levy hoplites is only a single turns' worth ^__^ Macedon and the Selucids must think the same way of their levy pikemen grr, why does a stack have 15 units of those? I actually run out of arrows to kill them with, grr.

And every militia hoplite ever is the same across the empire. And losing them cost-wise isn't too big a deal, since recruitment cost is ~3x upkeep. It's also a quick and easy way to cut your costs Go grind some romans to dust and unload 10 units worth of hoplites (though losses are rarely this high). I must say, however, I am very unhappy whenever I lose the nice city hoplites. They're too pretty to die to javelins.
    Last edited by Alavaria; September 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Elendil (and the subject of this thread) is talking about RS2, which is a different matter.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

I certainly hope it is ^__^ I'm pretty sure the revolt unit will still be universal though.

Don't like Romans, though. Something about them just doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by Alavaria; September 24, 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Yep and he has been whining all since.
    You have never known dispair until you have played on Hard/Very Hard

will these changes be by scripting that only affects the player or will it be base changes to the game itself? If the latter, won't the AI factions collapse almost imediately? the whole idea is to make the economy a challenging aspect of the game as well as battle etc but I don't think the AI will fare too well.

Most of the big factions get their own customised campaign files, so we can twist things however we like to increase the challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
    You have never known dispair until you have played on Hard/Very Hard
    ^___^ Heh. I'll take that as a challenge to do when RS2 comes out, then. Can I pick the faction? Syracuse or Pergamum would probably be my pick, unless other factions have prettier units (I kind of like the hoplite "look")

I must say though, I still don't quite understand about the borrowing from the future thing, since it isn't as though you're a government that's able to borrow ... then maybe I've done too much economics. Definitely as it applies to blitzing, I was of the idea is that grabbing settlements adds more and more income, so if you're capable of not taking many losses (when constantly assaulting settlements), you essentially constantly add more incoming cashflows - in this case, it would mean growing your income in a linear manner rather than exponential, since settlements are supposed to grow slowly. In principle, it's safer too, since building up might not work if you're at 0 net income and out of cash - while your army doesn't disappear.

That and tax income bonus can't go below 0. Similarly with trade bonuses. You'll always at least get the minimum, which (thanks to Chiv*) I am pretty sure you can expand on. Unless you start off with a faction that's losing money. But if the bonuses for building are small, as promised, then best choice is still to expand in as rapid a fashion as possible, rather than slowly try to build up your economy and get stomped when the AI next door inevitably realizes you don't have massive armies. In fact, the rate of return on expansion/blitzing might be higher, since each settlement is mostly a guaranteed chunk of cashflow (at minimum, taxes and, lol, farming - though apparently base farming is going down. Still, farm upgrades might turn into a better better investment, money-wise, than actual market buildings or this tax-line.).

Better yet, if happiness buildings "cost" you in terms of tax income bonus, then in a settlement which has a very low TIB, once you get down to zero bonus, and can no further, might as well go wild. Because the tax thing you set in the settlement screen is a multiplier, and not actually a TIB, if you get to VH taxes, that's 150% of your base (0% TIB) tax, which is quite nice.

* No starting tax income bonuses on your "homeland" and everything else (in some factions, certainly my favorite) has -50%, which most settlements won't break through for many-many turns. The main difference is that it also affects the AI factions.
    Last edited by Alavaria; October 09, 2009 at 08:50 AM.

Do you know if its possible to import the economic system from Empire Total War and to adapt it for your mod ? Or its too complex and we need wait a futur Roma Surrectum III for ETW ? lol
    RTW 1 fan - betrayed, disillusioned, disgusted with Rome 2.
    My thematic camping project on autonomy ==> http://www.camping-la-ressource.fr/

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

It isn't possible, as these are hard-coded. As for RSIII, there are no such plans whatsoever (that I know of). After RS2 is released, mostly the team will probably work on minor add-ons to further advance the game.