Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum II: Economic System

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: RS2 Economics:

As a tester, I can confirm that RSII will be naff.

Then again, I also bull**** a lot

How much would population affect the economic prosperity of the region? Several frontier regions in the Roman empire prospered because of the fact that Roman legions are stationed there, and together with the camp followers, they ended up buying a lot of goods from the people living there as well.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

There will be a happiness bonus for building a 'Roman Fortress'.
    Last edited by dvk901; August 15, 2009 at 10:05 AM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    RS2 is not going to be an 'easy' mod. It cannot pander to everyone's vision of how you think RTW should be played. For us micro managers it is becoming a heaven. Not to say that you cannot have enormous battles, massive campaigns where many armies will be needed and all the other RS goodness.

I certainly don't expect you to "pander" to me, but, making your mod approachable to all gamers would be more advisable, IMO. It looks like RS2 is going down the EB route, which means creating a complicated, convoluted mess of a micro-manager's dream-come-true instead of a streamlined, enjoyable, yet historically accurate wargame. If only major mods would stick to revamping RTW's graphics and making it more historically accurate, rather than creating complex systems that require charts and a maze of explanatory pdf's...*sigh* . Still, I'm looking forward to RS2 and will give your great efforts a run for their money to see how they play out. Thanks for the update.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Oh....if I or anyone has made it sound 'convoluted' in the sense of needing a degree in chart making and understanding, I apologize. My intention in the addition of buildings and\or the configuration of the economics is not to confuse the player with things that won't be easily understood just in 'playing'. In fact, I have BEEN playing it just to make sure it isn't something that will cause endless questions and confusion. The building browser, IMO, should be 'explanation enough' for anything that's required, or the building descriptions themselves. I really 'dislike' having to have 'external sources' to understand how to play anything...believing as I do that the game itself should be self-explanatory. I don't think Calvin...well I know he didn't....means RS2 won't be easy because we're trying to create a mod where you need a 'manual'. That's OK if you like that sort of thing, but I want RS2 to be easy to understand in a self-contained way. It's something I'm working on, oddly enough, and I play test...going through and making sure that building descriptions actually explain what the building does, and if it's needed for something else, that it is so stated in that description.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Candelarius View Post
    I certainly don't expect you to "pander" to me, but, making your mod approachable to all gamers would be more advisable, IMO. It looks like RS2 is going down the EB route, which means creating a complicated, convoluted mess of a micro-manager's dream-come-true instead of a streamlined, enjoyable, yet historically accurate wargame. If only major mods would stick to revamping RTW's graphics and making it more historically accurate, rather than creating complex systems that require charts and a maze of explanatory pdf's...*sigh* . Still, I'm looking forward to RS2 and will give your great efforts a run for their money to see how they play out. Thanks for the update.
    Yeh, sorry I didn't mean to come across that way. What I mean is that you won't be able to 'blitz' your way to victory in RS2. It isn't going to be an easy mod in that sense - battles will be more bloody, money will get stretched etc etc. What dvk is doing with the economics is fantastic in that it revolutionises RTW economics WITHOUT needing a manual and all these complex systems.

EB is a great mod, but as a team I think we've all agreed that we don't want to follow their example of doing things in such complex ways. We do want to make the game more realistic though and at least have some DIFFERENT things in the mod. I'm trying to achieve that with the traits, just as the other team members are trying to achieve it in their respective fields.
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

Leeham991's Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I'm both impressed and utterly terrified x)

Definitely can't wait though
    I like pie.

To be honest, I'm not really much of a micro-manager. I'll tend to build what I can and don't think about buildings much other than trying to build the ones that give public order or financial bonuses. I can't say I've looked at the buildings browser more than a handful of times in any mod. I've certainly not been at a disadvantage in RS2, but I've learnt a thing or two from reading the descriptions about metal working, glass making and so on. So in summary......immersion, yes; pain in the neck, no.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

PurPul's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    RS2 is not going to be an 'easy' mod. It cannot pander to everyone's vision of how you think RTW should be played. For us micro managers it is becoming a heaven. Not to say that you cannot have enormous battles, massive campaigns where many armies will be needed and all the other RS goodness.

YES!! Micromanageing FTW!

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

I love empire-building, so this system is heaven for me... I loved (and still love) EB, but the downside is the it has almost no battles because of the horrible turn loading times, but RS II has! (I guess) Yaaaay! this will beat EB in every way!

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I am looking forward to playing RS again.

A lot!

"The results of your choice here allow, for example, stone walls and above to built in a fortified city, and upper level barracks (only for the player in modfoldered campaigns, as the AI is too stupid to use these wisely ). Or in an economic city, you can build great forums and above, along with a whole slew of other economic and economic upper level buildings we've added."

How do the AI auto run settlements perform under this system, are they competent enough to be left alone? And based on testing what seems to be the best way to utilize the auto govern setting?

While I am a die hard micromanager I am beginning to auto run entire regions of conquest to cut back on time between turns and the headaches of running a huge empire.

Will I be able to for example attack a city, plunder it and then leave it without occupying it? Like leave it to it's native people, but through plundering also destroying a lot of buildings in it?
    I would love that feature, like if a Faction gives me trouble, keeps attacking me and thus drive my economy down, just plunder one of its cities and leaving it to suffer?

How do the AI auto run settlements perform under this system, are they competent enough to be left alone?
    If some buildings prevent others from being built, I don't know if it would be a good idea to leave it to the AI, especially when it comes the the crucial economy/military choice.

AI factions, though ... well public order is not really a problem for the AI there.
    Will I be able to for example attack a city, plunder it and then leave it without occupying it? Like leave it to it's native people, but through plundering also destroying a lot of buildings in it?
    I don't think you can destroy buildings without owning the settlement? Most you can do is damage it 100%. Would be nice if you could sack like hordes in BI do (but while being settled, of course).

While I am a die hard micromanager I am beginning to auto run entire regions of conquest to cut back on time between turns and the headaches of running a huge empire.
    Ergh, it's so annoying when you have like 60+ settlements. How much efficiency do you lose doing that?
    Last edited by Alavaria; August 28, 2009 at 01:03 AM.

YES
    I was a Roma Surrectum 2.0 Beta Tester

Total War Veteran

Neat

Quote Originally Posted by Legionary Titus Pullo View Post
    YES
    errr, no. you can't destroy a city's buildings without owning the city. that's hard coded.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

But I can plunder it without occupying it, right?

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

No.
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

Dont matter anyway