Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [HoI3] Heart of Iron III - discussion

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Heart of Iron III - discussion

Game runs slow. I started the 1936 Grand Campaign and have slowly, over the course of a few days, made it to 1938. I feel that I should have tweaked how I did research better, but I don't think it will matter too much. And I do not want to slug though 1936 and 1937 again.

Other then that, I haven't decided to place much attention on maximizing trading. So I have the AI controlling the diplomacy, which is a mistake, and might make me restart the game. I do not mind having Hungary join in the beginning of 1938. But I do not want Italy or Nationalist Spain to have joined so soon as well...Nationalist Spain will get rocked by France while I play with Poland. Italy will get killed too soon as well. Not to mention Japan is getting the stuffing knocked out of them by Communist China...

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Unorthodoxt View Post
    Game runs slow. I started the 1936 Grand Campaign and have slowly, over the course of a few days, made it to 1938. I feel that I should have tweaked how I did research better, but I don't think it will matter too much. And I do not want to slug though 1936 and 1937 again.

Other then that, I haven't decided to place much attention on maximizing trading. So I have the AI controlling the diplomacy, which is a mistake, and might make me restart the game. I do not mind having Hungary join in the beginning of 1938. But I do not want Italy or Nationalist Spain to have joined so soon as well...Nationalist Spain will get rocked by France while I play with Poland. Italy will get killed too soon as well. Not to mention Japan is getting the stuffing knocked out of them by Communist China...

I see what people mean by slow, after about 10 hours of game play its still bloody the starting year. I want war
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

I found Communist China slapping down Japan too, actually. Doesn't looking like they'll be joining the Axis any time soon

The rest of the world has taken some surprising turns too. Republican Spain joining the allies perhaps being the biggest one for me. If anyone's been reading my campaign diary on the Reticule, you'll see they've been incriminating some rather interesting mischief on the Italian invasion of France
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post
    I found Communist China slapping down Japan too, actually. Doesn't looking like they'll be joining the Axis any time soon

The rest of the world has taken some surprising turns too. Republican Spain joining the allies perhaps being the biggest one for me. If anyone's been reading my campaign diary on the Reticule, you'll see they've been incriminating some rather interesting mischief on the Italian invasion of France
    Yeah i have been, good luck with that it sounds like its a hard fight and will get harder if Soviet attacks
    Last edited by Dewy; August 09, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    Yeah i have been, good luck with that it sounds like its a hard fight and will get harder if Soviet attacks
    Definitely! They've got some rather threatening looking units poised to strike should Comintern decide to act against the Axis...

I'm prepared to fight as a government in exile if the worst comes to worst
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Considering that I do not use tutorials or manuals

I just found out how to make HQs. Which is a much preferred way to the method in HoI2. Of course, I have years before I need to really use them. Since I restarted the game. And decided to actually run my diplomacy, because the AI cannot run that, it would seem. I wish I didn't have to mess with trade though. It isn't like I am playing Vicky and need to actually manage the trade that much...and it gets annoying when people keep pestering me with silly trades...

blank's Avatar Campidoctor

That's because of the CG bug.
    My pony jumps ever so high

Dutchpower's Avatar Senator

I don't like it, it's to chaotic and it doesn't feel like they did anything really new.

Also it's even harder now and ten times more boring to play as a minor. i give it a 5/10.
    Batavorum miliaria.

"Tits or GTFO. You know the rules and so do I."

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Awesome links SG! I recommend everyone read this AAR. It seems like anything can happen

http://thereticule.com/2009/08/ya-al...-october-1939/

http://thereticule.com/2009/08/ya-al...november-1939/

I don't think it will be more boring to play as a minor. Since you can use the diplomacy to align yourself with one of the major alliances. Like playing as Persia and working towards and alliance with the Comitern, or what have you.

Playing as minors was always about biding your time, and using a major to help your cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Unorthodoxt View Post
    I don't think it will be more boring to play as a minor. Since you can use the diplomacy to align yourself with one of the major alliances. Like playing as Persia and working towards and alliance with the Comitern, or what have you.

Playing as minors was always about biding your time, and using a major to help your cause.
    I agree. I remember playing as Turkey in HOI2 and waiting for the right moment to strike into the Soviet Union to seize their oilfields before anyone else could . 120 oil from Azerbaijan makes it totally worth it. Then i joined the Axis and invaded British Iraq. I attacked too quickly cos the Brits kicked my arse.

Luckily Lt Gen Hausser was on hand in the Caucasus to reverse those British gains. phew.

I am wondering how Expeditionary forces are going to be used. I know I can send them. Curious how the AI will organize them. I am researching Mountain infantry tech, and sending some mountain and regular infantry brigades to my newest ally, Persia.

It's only 1938, so plenty of time to read and figure that out. I would love it if they were actually effective in taking Iraq, and maybe helping out the Italians by splitting the Middle East front for Germany. This is also the first time I have ever, in a HoI game, ever gotten Persia to join me. Thank you new diplomacy and intelligence.

Hopefully, when i get it tomorrow (after trading in Guitar Hero <_< ) i will finally be able to have a go on this bad boy.

It's different. Spies are very useful. Compared to mostly useless in HoI2.

As for people complaining about the time between resuming combat, Operational Coordination, or whatever it's called. Very last group of strategic land theories is where it is at. Reduces the time to reorganize and continue the attack.

I still feel that I might be behind on techs, but I don't think I am that far behind. Considering the sheer number of techs there are.

Question to those of you who are into hardware and all that:

Is HOI3 RAM-intensive, or CPU-intensive? (My comp has a fair CPU, though it's getting old...but absolutely crappy memory).

It chews though the CPU. Lots of calculations. You most likely want at least a decent CPU and RAM. I am a little above the reqs. Runs slow. Was running super slow, was confused about that. Then realized AVG was looking for viruses.

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

go to control panel/system/advance/preformance settings/advanced virtual memory

change it to no paging file

this has been proven to increase game spread anywhere from 10%-40%

also...check out me mod i made!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=417747
    You look great today.

Won the war, post I made on paradox forums on post-war thoughts:

Just won with the soviets, i'll list a few problems I have with this end game and a few other thoughts.

Vichy still exists, can't liberate/create france. After the war ended Vichy joined the allies, WTF?!

Practically everyone, including those who should side with axis or cominterm, all went allies. Every nation on the planet pretty much, this is unrealistic and annoying.

The german surrender event has a few issues. Most of the nations that I had control of auto liberated resulting in them being either their pre-war government or something that will side with the allies even though i controlled all of their territory. Plus territories that refused surrender, like Slovakia in this game, did not join the country that they should.

Poland refused to surrender which resulted them in having weird borders when I liberate them. I dont really have an issue with this but I think this surrender refusal causes stupidity.

I control ALL of germany, however I can't liberate DDR as one unified state. I have to liberate FDR and DDR both with east/west germany territories. Also if I liberate FDR they have only democratic leaders when they are stalinist in this.

Had the US and Netherlands at 100% commie party support before elections in 1940 yet the democratic parties still won for some reason. Netherlands had a coup to communist later but joined the allies anyways due to the stupid influence nonsensical garbage.

I attacked germany in early 1940 when they were quelling an invasion of france by South Africa, they left the border with me mostly undefended. I won the war by mid-year 1941.

Convinced Nationalist Spain to be my ally, as the soviets.

There needs to be a decision notification.

Japan gets utterly destroyed in all 3 games that I played by some Chinese minor.

Light Tanks/Armored car divisions are surprisingly good. Used them to blitzkrieg some victory point provinces because they are so fast. Combined arms bonus on them plus their overall good stats makes this an awesome unit.

I would like to should be able to define certain provinces as something that I do not liberate/create puppet on when I create a nation. This has never existed in a paradox game so i dont expect this feature.

One thing I really like about this is the research additions. However it seems EXTREMELY difficult to keep up or research all that you need. Especially since you have to research doctrines as well. By the time I held more than half of europe I FINALLY was able to spread some research out to be able to research doctrines and keep up with tech in infantry armor and air. Never was able to do anything with sea tech, was WAY behind in that.

The strangest thing is that post war is so broken/weird compared to HOI2. I can't create nations with post war borders ande they auto release into whatever not even in the influence of the nation that liberated them. It would of been better if it just had me annex germany and not auto liberate ANY nations so I could liberate them myself as my puppet since this feature exists in the game. I assume the reason to do that by decision is because of the AI, but if thats the case it literally makes no sense as the nation controlling a liberated nations territory should be under its influence just like it was in reality.

change it to no paging file

this has been proven to increase game spread anywhere from 10%-40%
    Pretty much proof of a memory leak right there.

I quit the game every so often and reload, that works because it clears the memory.

Also if you have crashing save games edit the save game and delete everything from sunk_ships to just before weather. That fixes the save game crash.

Overall im very unimpressed with this game, this will require a LOT of patching.
    Last edited by Kanaric; August 10, 2009 at 01:00 AM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Not overly impressed so far. Main issues:

1.) Becomes choppy after extended play.
    2.) The Consumer Goods bug (70%IC to CG playing as Italy at one point)
    3.) Might just be the Italian campaign, but resources aren't balanced, I have to import hundreds of coal, metal and Rare from US Germany and USSR constantly. Control over refining would be helpful. I like the idea of fuel and not just oil though.
    4.) The army control interface is so-so. Still clumsy when you have air and ground units in the same area.
    5.) The new command system is interesting, though the interface is poor. It is rather tedious to figure out what the chain of command is. Its best just to destroy the whole thing and rebuild from scratch.
    6.) There are gaps in the supply system where no supply can reach

I like whats been done to the non-military features, makes them very relevant and I'm sure some of the bugs will get worked out. On the military interface there just isn't enough improvement. Its still quite clunky to issue your orders or reorganize units, and with the small map tiles things can get very messy.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

well giving up on my Sweden campaign, seems paradox still hasn't learned their lessons.
    Yes you have alot of factions to choose from but what's the point if you can't do anything with them ?
    Sweden is one of those factions where you can go from the start of the game to the end and you can't do anything. All you do is research things because that's the only thing you can do.
    Nobody will attack you and you can't attack anyone for the duration of the game.
    It's like watching paint dry.