Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Python converter for .variant_weighted_mesh model

Default Re: Python converter for .variant_weighted_mesh model

@Just
    Thanks for your answer ,
    How comes the converter makes an empty file when passing the meshes into Ms3d ?
    I want to create a winchester for my new Apachean units
    Last edited by kungfuserge; September 20, 2009 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuserge View Post
    @Just
    Thanks for your answer ,
    How comes the converter makes an empty file when passing the meshes into Ms3d ?
    I want to create a winchester for my new Apachean units

Because the converter was not written for weapons.

Is there a way ?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuserge View Post
    Is there a way ?
    If KE modifys it for it.

I have PM him if he could

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

I'm getting this error when exporting: -- Runtime error: array index must be positive number, got: 0

Anyone knows how to fix this?

i noticed the models were very small when imported, thus zooming is difficult. does anyone know how to set the zoom increment smaller in 3d studios max?
    Always trying harder to help you make an informed decision.

Scale them up to 10000 and when finished scale them back to 100.

thanks. another question...so i import the prussian jaeger model, i save that as a 3dsmax scene file, then delete the hat mesh. i then import euro lancer, delete the body, keep the hat, then merge the prussian jaeger model into the scene. i now have a prussian jaeger with a lancer hat. i edit the hat around to make it look like a shako...and now i export the model but it gives an error reading "mesh euro lancer hat01 does not have the skin modifier at the top of the stack. do you want to move it below the skin modifer?" if i press no, nothing happens, pressing yes bring up a log with an error.

what do i do next or how do i fix this problem?

i did try to fix it on my own by assigning skin wraps to the hat model, adding it as part of the bone, etc. but it doesn't really work. it just gives me a new error message when i attempt to export.
    Always trying harder to help you make an informed decision.

First of all, rethink your aproach, you said you want a prussian jäger with a lancer hat, but deleting the whole body is an immersive operation that its not nessecary. Think about it like you have to remove your appendix and the doctor opens you from top to bottom. And you actually do it twice

The message that the hat has no skin modifier means the converter does not recognize a skin on the hat, and therefor refuses the export. The skin modifier must always be on top, but the meshpart does not have to be rigged properly in order to export.

Instead import the jäger, and merge the hat of the lancer in seperately, you dont have to delete anything at all. You just need to reassign the verts of the hat, id do that in ms3d by selecting the hat and assign them to the head. Make sure this runs ingame before you start changing more, it makes no sense whatsoever to change stuff up and down and in the end you get an error while converting, as there is hardly a way to figure out all the issues. Step by step, keep backups, make a step and test then proceed.

You had the mesh, but you forgot to assign the bones. You have to add a skin modifier to weigh the bones to each vertex.

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Stefaneke is right. You have to joint it to the bones. (and to the main materials also if you work in milkshape.)

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    Stefaneke is right. You have to joint it to the bones. (and to the main materials also if you work in milkshape.)
    I'm always right .

Its true until we dont speak about your modesty...

KnightErrant's Avatar Decanus

It's true, Stefaneke is always right...

Anyway, while I've got the stars of ETW modding posting within a time period,
    let me ask a question: what is the preeminent problem for modding? Danova has
    requested a merge facility which certainly makes sense. The bit about .rigidmodels
    for projectiles I've done but just been too under the gun from the real world to post.
    Are those the only real problems for ETW modding within the constraint of binary files
    only? For the merge I think it should go something like this: a filechooser for the primary
    file, that is, the file with skeleton and large number of groups, the second filechooser
    should be for extra geometry. It should allow for a skeleton so bone assignments are
    respected. Sorry if I'm ignoring 3dsMax questions, I don't use Max and MaxScript is
    pretty bugged so it's hard to write good code to go back and forth from Max.

On a related note, does anyone want to start on a career of toolmaking for ETW?
    It's basically python, free to anyone, and some time to learn it. It's really fun, and hoards
    of geeky women will desire your progeny. (Ok, the last part is total cr*p, but my business
    professor said leave the audience with a motivating message.)

Could you make the converter working for the euro_equipment.variant_weighted_mesh ?

Well im humbled to be referred to as a "star" although i really dont think i deserve such a definition id like to propose my opinion on the problems:

My first issue is still the rigidmodelconversion, although you already made a converter, the uvw map coordinates still remain unresolved. Custommade buildings would add alot of flavor to the battles, and i would support any attempt to achieve this with 100% of my sparetime if nessecary, well unless that girl i was introduced today wants to go out

Secondly id like to propose to look into the artillery which are "enginemodels", i uploaded 2 samples here.
    Adding custommade artillery is nessecary for any modification that leaves the timeframe of 1700-1830s.
    Therefor practically everyone will need it.

I suggest the merge function of the mesh converter.
    So the beginners also can make new models from the vanila (original game) model elements without jointin or other extra knowledge. Most of the questions i get is 'i want to change x unit's hat for y unit's hat, for example.

by the way Elite units of the west don't work with this converter, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
    It's true, Stefaneke is always right...
    On a related note, does anyone want to start on a career of toolmaking for ETW?
    It's basically python, free to anyone, and some time to learn it. It's really fun, and hoards
    of geeky women will desire your progeny. (Ok, the last part is total cr*p, but my business
    professor said leave the audience with a motivating message.)
    I would like too but I know very little about python scripting.