Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Python converter for .variant_weighted_mesh model

KnightErrant's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Python converter for .variant_weighted_mesh model

Sorry, tried to reply to several posts last night, but TWcenter logs you out so fast I keep
    losing my posts as I try to compose them. Let me go back to Villar, quite right, I was very rude
    yesterday because I posted things in a hurry at lunch time. Kudos to those who helped me and
    I neglected to give them their proper thanks. just has been quite fantastic for originally posting all
    of his research on all the file formats and continuing to advise on things. Stephaneke for providing
    files and also volunteering to test things out all during the process. hokomoko for digging up the tpose
    file which was the nugget to crack the skeleton.

Let me go back in order.
    @Alex1987
    (Interesting year, that's the year I finished graduate school.) Don't think there's a manual needed for
    this, the converter is just a two-button GUI. But probably the question is more about modding in
    general. I'd recommend Alletun's Tome of Knowledge to start. It's M2TW centered but everything
    in it is gold and is applicable to ETW if you use Milkshape and Photoshop. Search for it under the
    M2TW section, it has several versions, I think up to three.

@BladeRunner
    No, it's deliberately named variant_weighted_meshConverter to mean only those models. I'm mainly
    a M2TW tool maker so I'm not going to run through all the formats that just laid out for us.
    But I have absolutely no objection to any Python programmer (or wannabe Python toolmaker) just
    taking this code, modifying it any way he sees fit, and making his own converter for those other
    formats. In fact, I'd be happy to help/advise if someone wanted to jump in and become a tool
    maker, the game/game(s) need more tool makers. (Volunteers, anyone?)

@Aradiel
    Shouldn't be any need to copy/paste comments. That bit to Stefaneke I forgot that he was an
    experienced M2TW modder and already knew where I put the model comments for that game.
    On exporting out from 3ds Max, the stuff in the User Defined part should automatically go back into
    the model comment.

@Roslolian
    Up to the bugs Stephaneke mentioned, this should be the real 2-way converter for models that are
    .variant_weighted_mesh models (i.e. humans if I'm understanding that correctly, I don't have the
    game so I made the converter using some models provided by Stefaneke.)

@A1_Unit and Aradiel
    Sorry about the confusion over fbx. (This might actually be useful because Mete Ciragin, who wrote
    Milkshape, has release his 1.8.5 beta where he's updated his .fbx exporter. But since it's still a beta,
    nothing new on the importer, meaning vertex weighting is still out of the question.)
    But yes, this is a 2-way converter, .variant_weighted_mesh to .ms3d (meaning Milkshape to edit the
    models) and .ms3d to .variant_weighted_mesh to put them back into game format. The import/export
    script for 3ds Max is just included because Stephaneke really likes Max better than Milkshape.
    (Personally, I like Milkshape better because it's simpler. But of course it can't unwrap or do
    IK solvers for animation so it's a matter of opinion: really sophisticated but steep learning curve, or
    limited abilities but easy to use out of the box.)

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

@ KE, I have given you the line infantry model. And this seems to be the only model fully compatible with the converter . I'll send you a model which doesn't work so you can look at it .

When I start the script do I have an option to convert to mesh? Maybe if I double click on an .ms3d file? Thanks.

? Just launch the converter.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaneke View Post
    @ KE, I have given you the line infantry model. And this seems to be the only model fully compatible with the converter . I'll send you a model which doesn't work so you can look at it .
    What model causes trouble? I converted a prussian jaeger which is not line infantry.

Move a few vertices and convert it back.

with this is it possible to make new rifles?

not yet.

Decanus

I tried to change the hats of dragoons to tricorns and the back converter doesn't work. Are there any explanation how to use it?

It still has some bugs.

I don't understand - I start the converter and a select file box comes up. The only option is to select an empire mesh. What am I doing wrong???

1. make sure you have a recent version of python installed, i use 2.6.2 which is already a little outdated but it works.

2. Doubleclick ETWvariant_weighted_meshConverter_v1_0 (you should now see the two windows open).

3. Select Mesh To Ms3d Converter and specify the path to the file. Once you hit open the converter generates a new ms3d file in the same folder the source file lies.

4. Run 3ds and select run script from the command panel to run the maximporter, which must be located in the 3ds scripts folder obviously. Select the converted ms3d file and voila the model should load and if your lucky you get a particular ugly fellow like this

First of all I don't have 3DSmax. Second, I want to know how to get the models back in-game without 3DSmax, please.

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    First of all I don't have 3DSmax. Second, I want to know how to get the models back in-game without 3DSmax, please.
    Try using Wings3d. It is freeware and it can handle 3ds files. After you install it, got to:

File -> Import -> 3d Studio (3ds) to import; or

File -> Export -> 3d Studio (3ds) to export.
    WWI: TW Naval Modeling Team

Wings3d doesn't have an .ms3d importer. You can use Milkshape.

I need a way to get the models back in-game using Milkshape please.

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    I need a way to get the models back in-game using Milkshape please.
    ??? Use the converter

I don't get that when I start it up.

EDIT: I redownloded and now I get the box. Unfortunatly, some .ms3d models don't work with the converter.
    Last edited by A1_Unit; August 11, 2009 at 03:24 PM.

I tried to change the euro_bicorne but get a division zero error when try to convert back.

This is what i've done

Converted the model to ms3d
    Deleted body01 and dublicated body02
    renamed one to body01
    merged the swea_life_guard and deleted all but the belt
    renamed the belt to euro_bicorne_belt_01
    deleted the extra figure and assignment under materials
    assignet the belt to the figure of bicore
    saved and tried to convert back...Error

So mayby i did something wrong, as i'm not really experianced with 3d-modelling or is it a bug?
    Bladerunner
    Koeniglich Preussische Marine
    Sealords Virtual Fleets

Sealords Minimod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274322
    Sealords Total War Mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246265

I got that error when converting an unchanged model back..