Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Python converter for .variant_weighted_mesh model

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Python converter for .variant_weighted_mesh model

Can you send me 2 or 3 models you want to convert (both variant_weighted_mesh and ms3d files).
    I will try to have a look this evening.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

I sent them to you
    Last edited by Mahmood; January 03, 2013 at 02:45 PM.

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

For some reason, only variant 1 (01, never 02, 03, or 04) of my Hats, Helmets, Heads, or Weapons are showing up. What gives?

Please help!

Patrician Artifex

ETW is not able to handle more than 2 variants for each vertex group.Moreover, if too much vertex groups had variants, ETW can have bug, unit having missing parts in game.It is also important to carefully name variants.A vertex group name is composed of _Example : French rebel infantry, 2 "bodies" vertex groups could be name "rebel_body01" and "rebel_body02"But "class" must not be use for more than one vertex group and its variants.Example : French rebel infantry, 2 "belts for cartridge pouch" and 2 'belts for sword" vertex groups could not be name "cartridge_belt01" and "cartridge_body02" and "sword_belt01" and "sword_belt02"You will have to name them, for example, "sword_belt01" and "sword_belt02" and "cartridge_equipment01" and "cartrigde_equipment02"

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Patrician Artifex

Sorry, TWC is awfully bugged and I cannot edit my previous post nor correct text imposition...

ETW is not able to handle more than 2 variants for each vertex group.Moreover, if too much vertex groups had variants, ETW can have bug, unit having missing parts in game.
    It is also important to carefully name variants.A vertex group name is composed of <name>_<class><variant n°>
    Example :
    French rebel infantry, 2 "bodies" vertex groups could be name "rebel_body01" and "rebel_body02".

But "class" must not be use for more than one vertex group and its variants.
    Example :
    French rebel infantry, 2 "belts for cartridge pouch" and 2 'belts for sword" vertex groups could not be name "cartridge_belt01" and "cartridge_body02" and "sword_belt01" and "sword_belt02".
    You will have to name them, for example, "sword_belt01" and "sword_belt02" and "cartridge_equipment01" and "cartrigde_equipment02".
    Last edited by wangrin; May 08, 2013 at 01:42 AM.

Guys, is it nomal that I can't run this application?Everytime when I want to convert a rigid model (from the naval rigid models) my computer says "this application can't be run on youre computer". I hope someone can help. I got windows 8 pro.
    Last edited by izzi; July 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Is python 2.7 installed ?
    Do you have try to run application as administrator ?

Its a way to convert the horses?

Patrician Artifex

It is possible, using Ultimate Unwrap 3D and its ETW plugin. But UU3D isn't free.

Thank you wangrin.

Excuse me,may i ask how to change the format of a horse?I mean from MS3D to MESH in empire。

Patrician Artifex

KnightErrant converter work only with human models, not with animals nor equipments.
    VPM (Variant Part Mesh) plugin for MilkShape doesn't work with .variant_weighted_mesh.
    So, the only tool left is Ultimate Unwrap 3d + ETW plugin.

I have the exact same problem as MahMood had! Please, I'm tearing my hair out. KnightErrants converter doesn't convert .ms3d back to mesh, ZeroDivisionError, even with models i haven't even touched! (just tried converting to ms3d and back).

EDIT: Solved the issue by getting another version of K.E Converter, v 1.3. However, now my textures of my new units are dark/slightly spotted/slighty blue and green. Why is this?
    Last edited by Dea Paladin; August 03, 2015 at 07:48 PM.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Is this tool compatible with Windows 10? I've found my models usually don't convert to mesh, but when I send them to someone with an earlier version of Windows (uanime5) they are converting. I have Windows 10 64.

I see that Ultimate Unwrap 3d has a plugin allowing import and export in variant so could I use that to save as variant_weighted_mesh? I have the trial version so I can open but not save files and it opens variant weighted mesh.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; October 19, 2015 at 04:47 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Patrician Artifex

You can use UU3D instead of using KE converter.
    But take care to never use model convrterted from KE converter with UU3D...

Thank you.

Some clarification though. UU3d has an ms3d plugin. Is it okay to open a MS3D file with UU3D and convert it to mesh?

Update: When I rolled back to Milkshape 3d 1.8.2. (I was using 1.8.5.b) I can convert to mesh with Knighterrant converter. But my models are showing up blank in the game. Why does this happen?
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; October 20, 2015 at 06:41 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Patrician Artifex

You can use UU3D to open .ms3d files and convert them to ETW files formats BUT, the .ms3d files must not have been previously converted from ETW files format using KE Converter.

Process must be :

etw mesh file --(converting using UU3D)--> .ms3d --(working on model using MilkShape)--> .ms3d --(converting using UU3D)--> etw mesh file

Process will not work is you are trying one of these below :

etw mesh file --(converting using KE Converter)--> .ms3d --(working on model using MilkShape)--> .ms3d --(converting using UU3D)--> etw mesh file

etw mesh file --(converting using UU3D)--> .ms3d --(working on model using MilkShape)--> .ms3d --(converting using KE Converter)--> etw mesh file

What do you mean by "appearing blank ingame" ?

What I mean is that the model is invisible in game. No features at all.

I've noticed that models converted to mesh by KE are appearing without any vertices when I open them in UU3D.

The list of groups are there but you can only see the skeleton.

And with KE the they only convert to mesh if I used Milkshake 1.8.2.

I will get UU3D tomorrow. Hopefully it will solve the problem provided I don't use KE.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; October 21, 2015 at 01:59 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Patrician Artifex

This happens when vertices are not correctly linked to joints.
    Opening model in UU3D, all these vertices are "merged" at coordinate {0,0,0}.

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    This happens when vertices are not correctly linked to joints.
    Opening model in UU3D, all these vertices are "merged" at coordinate {0,0,0}.
    Well it's happening with every model I'm making despite the fact that I've assigned all the vertexes to joints and removed the duplicates. I've discussed my method of assigning with uanime5 and he thinks I'm doing it correctly. Personally I wonder if this has something to do with Windows 10 maybe being incompatible with KE? When I open my ms3ds in UU3D they look normal.

The last time it happened was a merger where all the joints on the second skeleton with weights already had only one coloured bar with a numerical vertex weight and so they were 100% assignments. So I clicked in the menus and selected the joint of the same name, clicked assign, verified the red dots were gone by clicking SelAssigned and show, before deleting the duplicate joint. I also deleted the duplicates Material/Attachment and saved when there was only one skeleton.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; October 21, 2015 at 03:41 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog