Page 6 of 387 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default Re: Suggestions

Hi played 1.0 and enjoyed it. A few things that I felt could be changed were on the stategy map.

I found that the reflective sea wasn't to my taste. I found it distracting from the other aspects of the map and the clouds in its reflection move very quickly to the east.

I also wasn't able to enter moria from the west (possible unit I couldnot see?)

The mountains are very high in this also. I belief they could be lowered to improve players view of the map, I found settlement south of Etheras very hard to see.

Other than these I love the mod. Good luck with it.

Ok well I hope this is the right place to Post some of our suggestions from the Men of the 509th Baker company for your incredible Mod, it almost seems presumptious of us to suggest things, but here goes anyway.
    #1: When a Invasion message goes out for a good nation , I.E. Edoras , have that nation send a call for support from its allies with a offer of military acess, or some such, and if it is refused have canceling of ally status or somesuch, and maybe treat it like a crusade where there is a time limit and the crusading/responding army must move closer to the target of the invasion, and the sucessful defence yields experiance.
    #2: possible different icons for the various factions lookout posts, and maybe fortified camps that could be built for each faction.
    new unit suggestions (of course these would happen )
    Gondor: A elite archer, similar in design to the Kings heavy spearmen unit, with cloaks and such, maybe using ancient Numenorian Steelbows.
    A mounted version of the Rangers of Ilithien, like "ranger outriders or somesuch
    Rohan: perfect as is.
    Maybe allow several of the spear armed riders to throw their spears.
    Eriandor: Hobbit spearmen
    Hobbit ponyriders with shortbows and spears (also allow hobbits to hide anywhere, they are very small )
    (one of the paratoopers loves hobbits...most unatural )
    Duniedain swords men, 2handed swords and cool combat moves
    High Elves: a fast light cav unit, maybe even female elves on light horses maybe sword and bow, or just sword

Sylvan Elves: Allow the light spear armed troops to throw their spears.
    a med/light spear armed cav unit just fast and light armored
    a hunting hound unit in the tradition of the legendary hounds of the elves.
    A elite "Spiderbane" archer unit with AP arrows and flaming option, after all the Mirkwood elves have a long tradition of fighting the 8-legged nasties, could be a very limited and expensive unit.

Dwarves: A mountaineer unit with bows and move bonuses for steep terrain.
    heavily armed and armored seige weapon crews, that can even fight well.
    The Mangonel from kingdoms with exploding barrels , seems very dwarvish.
    and kind way out there, a Yurg pulled repeating crossbow, ballista thing, seemed kooky to me but a buddy loved the idea.
    and lastly allow dwarven units with the rectangular sheilds to form a testudo formation like back in rome total war, it would do wonders to protect them during seiges and against overwhelming archer fire.

Isengard: Dunlandish axemen
    Dunlandish bowmen
    maybe acess to some of the Mordor orcs , with a alliance with mordor or at a certain approval level.
    a Mangonel simular to the dwarven idea, just with explosive barrels
    and allow a few of the units to do the Testudo idea like the above idea for dwarves.
    will have more for the other factions as my buddies come up with them, we are trying to stay in the flavor and spirit of lore, but creative minds are hard to leash.
    I am not certain how operable the ideas are but it was fun to come up with
    again keep up the stellar work, regards.

Overall, I think the factions and tactical combat are the strongest points of the mod as it currently stands. The battles feel epic and all the factions look great. I've been very impressed with how well integrated the lore is with the game. It's been said so many times but KK, DG, the rest of the team and all the sub-modders have done a great job.

One element where I think there remains plenty of room for improvement though is in the non-military aspects of the game.

1. As it stands right now I feel like settlement development (and by extension economic development) is fairly one dimensional. Build roads, build farms, perhaps a few levels of town halls. It doesn't currently feel like there is a lot of decision making at work when selecting which buildings to construct. Part of this is just the way Vanilla Medieval works, but I feel like the situation is exacerbated in Third Age, partly because trade is so much less effective than farms. I recognize that a world rich in trade is questionable from a lore standpoint. Perhaps there could be more buildings, similar to mines, that, when constructed, provide a set income per turn. These could be tailored to individual settlements or regions to reflect what the lore tells us about each particular region's production and craft. Rohan, for instance, might have a horse breeder building that provides income and gives additional experience to cavalry. Bree could get a brewery, etc...

2. Interactive events. This was imo one of the best features of SS and I think it could work great in third age as well. Forcing the player to make a trade off, forcing a decision keeps the game interesting. It also is a great way to introduce additional elements from the lore and create immersion.

3.Diplomacy in it's current form is highly simplistic. This is partly a good thing. It is very nice to not have the pope interfering in wars and generally reducing my ability to engage in the best part of the game (the combat!) But I do wish that diplomats were more useful. It is too easy to play though a campaign without ever building a diplomat even on VH/VH. Adding a white council will help somewhat for good factions. Regarding evil factions, it is currently trivially simple to keep a good reputation with sauron. It shouldn't be too hard, but right now I don't even have to do anything which means it's not even a strategic factor I need to consider. Also, starting some factions with diplomats (ahem, Isengard, ahem) would be nice and would work well with the lore.

4. Spies. Right now, they are useful but their utility could be improved. The big problem is that their inability to give intelligence on troops that will come from the garrison script limits their effectiveness. I don't know if it is technically feasible or not, but allowing spies (perhaps only skilled spies) to provide information on what will spawn in a garrison script would greatly improve their utility. Also, making taverns a little less likely to generate corruption and to give generals drunkard traits would help get more spies built.

5. Priests. They don't exist currently. Given that culture is necessary to construct units in newly captured territory, they could be a useful addition as a way of prepping an area for invasion. If a white council is implemented, something like the college of cardinals could also make these guys useful for good teams. Clearly, it makes no sense to have anything like a college of cardinals for evil since sauron does not ever get replaced.

6. Guilds. Right now I rarely build them. They are expensive for what they do and there aren't that many different kinds. Given the current state of spies, thieves guilds are almost always something I turn down. I honestly don't know what sorts of guilds the lore allows for, but additional options here would be welcome.

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gunn View Post
    allow dwarven units with the rectangular sheilds to form a testudo formation like back in rome total war, it would do wonders to protect them during seiges and against overwhelming archer fire.
    Sadly my good man I think this is impossible, there has been many attempts at it but all have failed so far IIRC.

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by VARGR View Post
    I also wasn't able to enter moria from the west (possible unit I couldnot see?)
    There's a fort there. (which is very well hidden by the mountains)

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

Please make "watch towers' " costs lower (f.e. 50-100 ) cause i am spending a fortune trying to watch the traffic out/inside my borders!!!!!
    Last edited by koultouras; August 09, 2009 at 03:45 AM.

Just go to descr_cultures.txt, and change the cost of forts of the culture you play (or all cultures)

greek - Elves
    soutehrn_european - Dwarves
    eastern_european - Orcs
    northern_european - Northmen
    middle_eastern - Evil men
    gondor - I really don't know what this could be

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

gondor - Dunedain?

How about the eye of sauron (as an agent) to be on the campaign map for the evil faction Mordor (or can be control by any evil faction) to be used to spy on it's enemies.

And when a invasion is call you lose control over it as it fixs on that; ciry, town, or castle etc.

And when you're in battle you see the eye looking at the towns' center.
    Last edited by Rush; August 09, 2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Fix spelling mistakes

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

Quote Originally Posted by axnsan View Post
    Just go to descr_cultures.txt, and change the cost of forts of the culture you play (or all cultures)

greek - Elves
    soutehrn_european - Dwarves
    eastern_european - Orcs
    northern_european - Northmen
    middle_eastern - Evil men
    gondor - I really don't know what this could be
    thanks...(can't rep you again!)
    BTW why is it that some of your "unique buildings" are inlcuded to
    1.2 and others not(special roads/white tree etc.: great work btw!!!) I really liked them all !!!
    Last edited by koultouras; August 09, 2009 at 08:16 AM.

My biggest suggestion right now is: voicemods! Especially the Elves need all their voices in Sindarin. Strat map, battle, everything. I'd be willing to work on the actual lines, but I'm not sure if my equipment is good enough to record them (even though I would be honored to do it).

Kamakai's Avatar Biarchus

The only things I would want in this game now is Generals, captains and Heroes are better at fighting and have more health and the other 3 things would be.

1: You can use heroes in custom battles, to do this theres their picture with all the other units and to use them as your captain (because theres only captains in custom battles) you choose the unit you want your captain,hero to be in and then drag their picture to that unit. And then you have E.g: Legolas with a group of sinder heavy swordsmen. (Elven heroes should only be for the 2 elven armies and mordor,isengard etc should only have their heroes in their armies, but you should be able to use Aragorn with Eriador but also with Gondor and the elves because he fights with them in helms deep and hes the king of Gondor. Also gandalf should be able to be in Rohan and Gondor.

2: Just there to be castles forts etc to be in custom battles to look lotr style.

3: Boromir for Gondor,Lurtz-Isengard which actually look like them not just normal captains.

I do alot of custom battles

Oh and also Legolas can use his bow somehow coz hes my fav

Edit: Also legolas uses his sword because ive never seen him use it and Aragorn, Gandalf etc on foot because that will go with idea no.1 And you can use souron in custom battles (8 hitpoints) attk-25 Knocks people flying def-20, maybe only generals can kill him and catapults, balitstas and change what the balista looks for isengard to the version in the film
    Last edited by Kamakai; August 10, 2009 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abbews View Post
    gondor - Dunedain?
    Actually I was being sarcastic, it's pretty obvious . And gondor as a culture is Gondor...

Quote Originally Posted by koultouras View Post
    thanks...(can't rep you again!)
    BTW why is it that some of your "unique buildings" are inlcuded to
    1.2 and others not(special roads/white tree etc.: great work btw!!!) I really liked them all !!!
    Maybe KK didn't like them all. Anyway, I plan to include them. (as a submod)

And BTW I meant cost of watchtowers not forts, but both are there

Shocked's Avatar Campidoctor

Soz if this has been mentioned before, but can you plz reduce corruption if possible?

and can you please put up the accuracy of elven arrows

thx alot if you do the second suggestion.

I think elves need better accuracy, but not too accurate otherwise it'll be impossible to fight them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
    Soz if this has been mentioned before, but can you plz reduce corruption if possible?

and can you please put up the accuracy of elven arrows

thx alot if you do the second suggestion.

I think elves need better accuracy, but not too accurate otherwise it'll be impossible to fight them.
    If you want you can do those yourself

@corruption. Go to descr_settlement_mechanics.xml and find this
    Code:
          <factor name="SIF_CORRUPTION">
             <pip_modifier value="1.0"/>
          </factor>
    Change the pip_modifier value to whatever you want, lower value means lower corruption.

@accuracy. Go to descr_projectile, find elven_arrow

Code:
    projectile elven_arrow

effect			arrows_new_set
    end_effect				arrow_impact_ground_set
    end_man_effect			man_impact_tiny_set
    end_package_effect    	arrow_impact_wall_set
    end_shatter_effect		arrow_impact_ground_set
    end_shatter_man_effect		man_impact_tiny_set
    end_shatter_package_effect	arrow_broken_impact_wall_set

effect_offset	-1.5
    damage		0
    radius		0.1
    mass		0.05
    accuracy_vs_units		0.06
    affected_by_rain
    min_angle	-75
    max_angle	65
    velocity	20 48
    display		aimed
    effect_only
    Change the bolded value to whatever you want, higehr value means lower accuracy, lower value means higher accuracy.

Shocked's Avatar Campidoctor

thx man, I will try and do that when I get my computer back from the store.

It would be cool if this was put into the next patch aswell though.

For elven arrow accuracy you could make it 0.4 instead of 0.6

Ohh btw before I forget, can you please make all elven generals live forever?
    Elves are immortal aren't they? Well I dunt understand why they die after reaching the age of 90.
    Last edited by Shocked; August 10, 2009 at 03:43 AM.

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

At the year that the FotR book starts, make an event like in the Brittania campaign (papal request for Edward), so that Eriador's request would be for Aragorn, SE for Legolas, Dwarves for Gimli, Gondor for a good general as boromir is not born yet but this could be changed. A percentage of failure, but if they succeed... Mordor is eliminated, and all the generals return with experienced armies, great traits, and the relationships between their factions are better.

This has been said before, but split the SE.

Make a Mirkwood archer unit for SE.

Maybe a Dunedain ranger faction?

Change elven victory requirements to hold certain regions till the end of the game.

Add jihads for good factions.

More units!

Remove the stabbing animation for Uruk-hai, as their swords are designed to slash, since there is no sharp point on the end of the blade.

That's about everything I can think of right now...
    Last edited by el Cid; August 10, 2009 at 05:48 AM.

Its astounding how much work KK probably put into making 1 unit (ents), no matter how powerful.

Among new units, I'd especially like to see Huorns : which maybe are just a smaller version of Ents?

Praeses

May I respectfully suggest a "Mercenary Dwarven Axes" recruitable by Good and evil factions in certain mountainous areas?

In LOTR appendices after the battle at Moria Thorin is askled will he bend the knee or go to the forge. I think this means will he serve someone as a hireling or start a small ironmongery business (he chooses the latter). I think Dwarves, even noble Longbeards were prepared to serve as mercenaries to good masters. In this case Thorin worked for himself in Dunland for a while before heading to Lune.

In Barrels out of Bond in the Hobbit it is noted that (non-Longbeard) dwarves attacked the Elven Kingdom in Mirkwood (so some dwarves were prepared to fight elves).

IIRC in Overhill, Under Hill in the Hobbit it is noted that "some bad dwarves even cooperate with goblins".

IIRC In the Atalante in the Silmarillion it is noted that "all kindreds fought on both sides" in the battle of the last Alliance, except elves, so there were some dwarves fighting for Sauron in the second age.

I believe this possibility for bad dwarves could be represented by a mercenary dwarf unit, not super-high quality but a rare, tough little band of black hearted greedy dwarves equivalent to a stock standard Erebor inf unit.

If there were Dwarf mercenaries I believe there is a case for OoTMM to get them. Maybe Sauron too, and Saruman but not in their starting lands. Obviously Erebor would be able to get dwarf mercenaries (recruiting dwarves of other kindreds to help the Longbeards happened in the dwarf-orc wars).

Maybe silvan elves would not, as all dwarves seem to have been a bit frosty to Thranduil: later he allied with Dale and Erebor but I think that was a somewhat stilted arrangement that suited both parties financially rather than emotionally. The King of Dale probably sat between the Dwarf and Elf kings art feasts I reckon.

Once any faction gets a foothold in the northern mountains I think they should have a snmall number of greedy (non-Longbeard) dwarfs ready to serve under almost any flag.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

MVP7's Avatar Libertus

OoMM, Isengard and Mordor really need some kind of light goblin infantry for spamming (spear & shield and maybe club & shield variations of snagas with a little more armor would be good).

And more AOE units. Would be best in my opinion if you simply coudn't hire elves for example, from old orc setlements. And generally the people of invaded setlements should be handled differently. I mean, when elves invade Goblin Town I don't believe they'll just let "goblin civilians" live there and just teach them some elvish culture. Populations should be massacred when non-human evil factions invade setlement of free people and vice versa (and then give some kind of population growt boost for some time).