Page 2 of 387 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default Re: Suggestions

I'd suggest Ent catapults , or , if possible , Ents who hurl boulders , but i assume that'll be really hard to make , so a catapult's ok . It's not lore accurate , but Ents climbing walls with ladders is even less accurate

Blizard's Avatar Libertus

Some gunpowder unit for Isengard and some "historical" battles (?) for examle: Battle of five armies, the b. for the last alliance, Helm's Deep (including Eomer's and Gandalf's arrival) etc.

Removing poor cavalry selection by Gondor because they got strong cavalry.And got 3 types of cavalry.

VooDoo's Avatar Libertus

i would like to see the dwarves with scripted jihads to take back their mountains, some historical battles would be nice

and if possible maybe a tailored XAI battle AI for TATW, or more difference with the way each faction handles a battle eg OotMM zerg rush, rohan charges then retreats and so on with calvarly, elves try to pull the enemy into a hail of archer fire and so on for the rest of them would be my vote for the major bit of development for the next patch
    Murphy's law:"if anything can go wrong, it will."
    Intel Quad Core Q6600
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    Gigabyte P35-DS4
    2x 1gb A-DATA DDR2 RAM
    Vista Ultimate 32bit
    Headset Audio Technica ATH-AD700

bentlemp's Avatar Civis

This 'world' comes down completely to perspective.

From the good point of view there are a few goals:
    1. destroy the ring
    2. save rohan
    3. save gondor
    4. reunite the kingdom

From an evil point of view:
    1. find the ring and return it to sauron
    2. destroy gondor (mordor)
    3. destroy rohan (isengard under mordor's direction)
    4. conquer middle earth

At least that's my understanding of middle earth at this time. Pretty basic stuff. now how to introduce that into the game beyond what is already present?

From an emersion point of view:
    The one ring - A greater impact on the entire game. It grants buffs as well as takes them away (via gollum) but the stake arent really raised by its presence (at least so far as I have seen yet). The ring is the focus of everything or should be to a degree. Sauron should be sending forces (or somebody since the wraiths are tied up as commanders) to eriador to look for the ring. He should have spy bonuses in an effort to look for the ring. Eriador should be a subgoal initially. The ring should start with Bilbo and be moved as part of team (see below) toward Mordor. It's destruction should severely cause some sort of disaster to Mordor and all evil factions (except those of Rhun and Harad). A morale killer to say the least. The military aspects of the game should be invoked in an effort to conquer but also to protect/find the ring. So a new game winning scenario would be 'find the ring'. Because, even if Sauron had won at Minas Tirith and gone on to conquer Middle Earth...his goal of finding the one ring would have remained. He still would have been looking.

more factions - I think something that has been bothering but I've been unable to put into words for a while is the amount of playable options. I'm not talking about an Ent faction. And I'm not necessarily saying this is a game play point. Breaking up the the different 'groups' (i.e. elves, dwarves, men, etc) into smaller sub factions changes the emersion because it gives the player a stronger sense of struggle from the good perspective. From the evil perspective, it demonstrates the power sauron really wielded by controlling so many different aspects of the world.

reunite the kingdom - something I havent seen a lot of but really this is a logical addition. The goals of the campaigns have been 'destroy so and so'. Fine. From a game play point of view that makes sense. But, in world of middle earth, those weren't the only goals. Protecting different factions became a goal and after saurons defeat aragorn's goal was to reunite the kingdom. The problem we encounter is that as players who benefit from an outside perspective, we KNOW Rohan will be attacked. We KNOW Minas Tirith will be a target. So let's at least make the military goals according to 'middle earth logic'. 1. Defend Edoras. 2. Defend minas tirith. 3. Destroy Mordor. 4. Destroy Isengard. 5. Reunite the kingdom. And, if it's 'game play reasonable' to actually stipulate those as game goals, then perhaps we can arrange it so that these things happen as a course of play. As it were, i've gone entire campaigns as gondor neither having to defend minas tirith nor having to defend edoras. I was it to be difficult. i want to lose. It raises the stakes and makes the emersion what it should be...a struggle.

additional emersion thoughts - I think you're topic listing included some necessary items (though as I understand it...very difficult). But this is a wish list, so here's to wishing you get them completed. I'd also like to the Balrog of Moria in some capacity. Whether as an event, a disaster, an actually playable unit...I dont care. I'd like to see better ancillaries that are more specific to the individual kingdoms. Someone mentioned today that drinking shouldnt detract from a dwarf's stats. What a brilliant and small point that is true. Is it possible to change? apparently not but it's things like that idea that really enhance the emersion of the world and set it apart from ME2:TW in general (not that we arent already far apart but you get my thought).

From a game play point of view:
    The Fellowship - Making the fellowship in some capacity...and allowing the enemy to give chase changes the dynamics of game play. Units have to be allocated to the chase or protection. Spies become more important. Imagine this for a moment...the user controlled fellowship instead of heading through Moria (where they know there is hopefully a Balrog waiting ) instead heads toward the gap of Rohan. The enemy throws stacks there just waiting for his arrival making it impossible to move without a military confrontation. It builds the excitement and causes the user to change tactics. What if Legolas and Gimli were pulled away from their factions? How would that impact the kingdom struggles?

Units - this has been said a thousand times and I know it's being worked on to a degree but it wasnt listed. RC/RR apparently does a decent job of working issues surrounding unit balance. I've personally always stuck with the vanilla TA:TW just because I enjoyed it as is. But I have noticed certain aspects of battle that are impacting. I stopped playing the dwarves entirely because I found it frustrating early to chase everyone around the map. Even battling rebels sucked. Gondor gets boring after a while because it's the same battles time and again. It isn't until the better units are introduced that things really get spiced up so enduring a really long gestation period is necessary. You get the idea.

A second jihad type - Someone suggested my idea above but in two parts. I'm putting it together I think (unless I misread in which case...my apologies). A white council (as coordinated with the fellowship idea) that afterwards can issue commands. for example, the pope says 'crusade to antioch!'....the white council says 'protect the fellowship by assaulting isengard'...or something along those lines. you get the idea. it just sets up minor goals... Imagine if Gondor had said 'screw you guys, we're not participating in the fellowship' and Boromir went home. Think things would have gone the same? Of course not which is what would happen if a good faction ignored the orders of the White Council.

More forts - I think it would help with the flow of the map. I've thougth about trying the submod that was developed. Maybe someone else can comment on its effectiveness but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Castle/City Conversion - I'm not talking about the main obvious areas. But some of the lesser known, insignificant types...it would be great to convert.

GREAT ECONOMICS - To me, this is a must. I've always played the Total War games from an economic perspective. TA:TW really stifles that and while it's forced me to adapt and learn more about the game (i.e. using archers effectively...insert joke here) trade and such really isnt a focus. Look, I know it wasnt talked about in the books. But, these kingdoms had to be paid for. hell they fought wars over loot. Battle of Five Armies anyone? Economics is central to this game and should be a bigger focus. Different kingdoms should have different starting revenue (if possible). If not, then perhaps differnet building points. Maybe Minas Tirith is a citadel to start to demostrate years of building. Maybe the elves have fully established, yet empty, cities to demonstrate their greatness over the years. The dwarves perhaps not. I don't know specifically. But, trade really isnt a focus and it should be.

Timeframe - When exactly does an invasion of Edoras get called? of Minas Tirith? I havent noticed any rhyme nor reason and have had invasions called very early...well earlier than I expected. It's my understanding that the game takes place very early. These invasions should not be happening so quickly and Mordor should be lying in wait...building...taking over rebel areas quickly perhaps. Expanding from Mirkwood definitely. This might be a mute point as it may already be in place but i wasnt sure.

Final Thoughts
    This thread is brilliant. I think it's great KK is soliciting the community for ideas. It proves he cares about his product beyond just putting it out there. I hope we can provide him with some great potential.
    Just call me BENTLE, everyone else does...

Maybe stop good factions turning on one another, just played the game as high elves and dwarfs and eriador started a war against each other.

Also, I believe that you should be able to see where your allies are rather than have fog of war on the map when you start.

Also, it would be cool if you could garrison your own troops in allies strongholds so you could replay helms deep etc. Not sure if this is possible though.

Improvement in AI would be greatly appreciated also.

More characters included, great work by the way on the new characters like Aragorn etc.

Also, helms deep actually looking like helms deep on the battle map rather than just another castle. (not sure whether this is possible though)

Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Fightingfirst; August 06, 2009 at 09:42 AM.

The Army of the Dead.

Make a "Heir of Isildur" trait if it doesn't exist yet (I don't know) and only generals with that trait can get the Dead as mercenaries at the Dunharrow regions?

THE RING!!!

It seems the most important part about the whole of the third age is just an afterthought in this mod.

bentlemp's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by hengyu View Post
    The Army of the Dead.

Make a "Heir of Isildur" trait if it doesn't exist yet (I don't know) and only generals with that trait can get the Dead as mercenaries at the Dunharrow regions?
    Great Idea!!
    Just call me BENTLE, everyone else does...

-more and diverse strat map models for for other factions besides orcs and elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Turok View Post
    THE RING!!!

It seems the most important part about the whole of the third age is just an afterthought in this mod.
    I was thinking of this more like as in a provicnial campaign or sub-mod , so you can choose wether you want to do the "normal" campaign , or the "ring" campaign .

Icon11 Re: Suggestions

Add a event at the beginning of the campaign to give Balin from Erebor a mission to conquer Moria/Khazad dum. Give him an army with a limited number of decent units (e.g. Erebor Axemen).

Can this be done with a jihad, which forces the army to go from erebor to moria, then the player can't decide to use the extra units to conquer easier targets?

[QUOTE=.eXorZ!s7*;5717515]I think there should be some kind of White council of wizard thing which would counter balance the dark lord's call. Some kind of Jihad in order to get back the territories you've just lost.

This is a great idea as it balances the game.

Also the good factions like rohan and gondor need better unit sounds without someone screaming into a mic saying SWORDS MEN OF GONDOOOOR

This is also a good idea that someone else thought of,

I'd simply combine Uruk Archers and Raiders into a single hybrid unit. That way they would be weaker in direct combat than the "elite" heavy uruks but would also be more versatile having both swords and bows. It would fit the scout/raider archetype and would probably also increase their usefulness in late game.
    Last edited by Icceman; August 06, 2009 at 11:06 AM.

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

Well a few things

Generals that are dismounted just charge headlong , get surrounded and die , perhaps change this?

Make Dwarven Archers as a new unit , or perhaps replace Axethrowers with em?

General Guard is just too damned weak , yes they do have slightly better stats then most units , ( weaker then others mind you ) but their lack of numbers realy makes em inefective , perhaps reduce the stats of those that are just too strong and give em double numbers?

Arithien's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Anfauglir View Post
    It might be nice - if workable - to be able to recruit a few 'merc' units through faction alliances?! Would also help to represent the collective Good v Evil struggle.

Female heroes would also be top - Maybe not the Lady of the Wood, but possibly Arwen and certainly Eowyn.

Also, as I regularly get battered by the OotMM, I still like the idea of a plague-style Balrog event! Got to get Durin's Bane in there somehow, but he obviously could not be a unit! Maybe Gandalf going to Moria could even be the 'cure', with a percentage chance of losing him?

Sorry if any of this has already been ruled out, or already mentioned! And thanks again for all the team's efforts in creating this blinding mod!
    What would be awesome is something similar occuring to that in the Britain Campaign. Once the Balrog plague or event arises, you can elect whether to send Gandalf off to destroy it (like sending Edward off in the Crusade). Let the player be known that there is a chance Gandalf could perish entirely, but if he returns, he returns as Gandalf the White - even more powerful than before!

For the gondor , i want absolutly a day the warriors of lamedon and the pikemen of dol amroth http://www.freewebs.com/portsofpelar...othGWPikes.jpg

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

A few reworked traits wouldn't be so bad.

Brego's Avatar Ordinarius

It would be nice if you could make the mumakil a bit bigger, considering that the appearance of the mod is taken mostly from the movie, it would be nice if the mumakil also was as big as in the movies

1. Buff the silvan archers slightly while nerfing the high elf ones slightly. Or make a new mirkwood elf unit for the silvans to have at least 1 unit with better archery than high elves as it should be. They could look something like this: http://i32.tinypic.com/15d44yd.jpg

2. Make Lossoth units for eriador or something? First i thought of a Lossoth faction, but i can't imagine to see them conquering the whole middle earth. However, i found them interesting in Lotro. http://www.lotro-europe.com/images/m...lossoth_01.jpg

Civis

recruitable general units like in medieval total war 2 custom campange mod