Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dry spell for games?

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default dry spell for games?

is it just me or do all the games that have come out...suck? i mean napolenic wars imperial glorys bs everything else in stores looks stupid right off the bat there all the same either trying to copy rtw engine and turn based stuff and failing miserably (imperial glory for excample) there ww2 things or on terror or are a spinoff of sw lort stuff like that and not only that THEY SUCK ANYWAYS i mean theres no good games out there i went to 5 stores to day and bought a game finally only one that looked decent guees what? well within system reqiurements its so glitchy it dosent work

do you agree that we are in a sort of dry spell? mabey we have used up all interesting ideas or the people arent as creative(people who make it) if not can you give me some good games that have come out recently? (exaple 3 month period)

Centurion Quintus's Avatar Campidoctor

This belongs in "Circus Maximus".

oh **** where did i post? heh i thoght i was in the place where you can post anywhere..where am i then? heh i was just in a forum and decided i must post this

still could of given an ansrew centurion meany face XD jk

I agree, it seems that most gaming companies are concerned with making money, than the actual value of their product. I mean...look at the MoH series, went way downhill. C&C did the same thing unfortunately. I've noticed that RPG's and RTS's (at least the good ones) are becomming fewer and fewer. I look at the shelves nowadays and it's really funny b/c 99% of those games are total garbage.

edit: good games have come out recently?

Manningham's Avatar Civitate

I'm looking forward to Spore ... next year

ya they try to use graphics to sell even good games like rtw have glitches they wont tend to or just have the same ''feel'' to them as the predescessors from like 5 years back anyways nastarun what is spores?

http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/

Will Wright discusses his new game creation called "Spore"

watch that video, it's pretty amazing. Will Wright talks way too much, so you can skip to the good parts, but definately listen to what he has to say because this game could make a massive breakthrough

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I picked up Silent Hunter III a couple weeks ago. That is an awesome game. It looks good, and anybody can enjoy it. If you're more of a casual gamer, you can just have your weapon officer coordinate the solution to a target. If you're a hardcore sim junkie, you can compute the solution yourself, using a lot of trig and algebra.

Aside from that, I know what you mean. Stronghold 2 was a major disappointment for me, especially since I loved the first Stronghold so much. I'll just play World of Warcraft until Age of Empires III comes out. Now that game looks spectacular.

MareNostrum's Avatar Wanted: Dead or Alive
    The Netherlands. For those white trailer trash who dont know: Its a small country in Europe.

moved to zeeee Circus... tadaaa tadaaa..

Proud Patron of: Antea, Archer, Banzai Kamikaze, Dromikaites, Ldvs
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by IronBrig4
    I picked up Silent Hunter III a couple weeks ago. That is an awesome game. It looks good, and anybody can enjoy it. If you're more of a casual gamer, you can just have your weapon officer coordinate the solution to a target. If you're a hardcore sim junkie, you can compute the solution yourself, using a lot of trig and algebra.
    Well to be fair then you have to be a submarine fan to enjoy the game.
    A lot of casual gamers are complaining about the dynamic campaign because nobody is there to "hold their hands" like in Silent hunter II.

I am religious about how i hate the modern gaming industry....

Most of the genres are dead and only three exist now for PCs, First Person Shooters, Real Time Strategy, and MMORPGs. Sure there are other genres but they are so few and far between or have very small releases.

RPGs, dead genre. Most of the RPGs now are of the console style and are extremely watered down compaired to RPGs of the past. Even then they rarely come out, being almost a year between a new RPG.

SIMs, are practically dead, its kinda funny looking at the SIM page of gaming sites for the TOP 10 and seeing games that have been out in the 90s only there. Space Sims which used to be a huge genre has only had 1 release in the past 4 years. Flight sims (not training sims) are rarely released at all....

Turn based stategy is dead, the only releases we get are from Sid Meyer or eastern europeon countries. Tactical gamers are COMPLETELY dead, it takes a russian company to release Silent Storm.... civilization style games are either from small 3rd party companies (stardock) or from Sid Meyer.... thank GOD a group is brining back HOMM.

Most gaming now is simply clones and mass audience crowd pleasers. The game industry right now is compairable to the 80s film industry, a bunch of senseless and idiotic fast paced action movies and very few of anything that is actually good.

I bring this up a lot because people keep bringing it up, its true. The game industry sucks right now... In fact this exact same thing happened in the 80s before NES came out for console games. Everyone was releasing clones of the popular games that were out and the game industry crumbled many companies going out of business and people losing their jobs, i HOPE that happens with the industry now, they need to be taught a lesson to do quality and variety over quantitiy.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

FREAKIN AMEN TO THAT!

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

There are a few possible gems on the horizon. But as has been the case in the past, these gems turn into crumbling messes.

I'm personally looking forward to:

Civ 4
    Black & White 2
    Star Wars: Empire At War
    Star Wars: Battlefront 2

Sosobra's Avatar Domesticus

Try this Demo
    http://www.taleworlds.com/
    a refreshing game from an independent
    I find most people irritating
    SteamID:Sosobra

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    I am religious about how i hate the modern gaming industry....

Most of the genres are dead and only three exist now for PCs, First Person Shooters, Real Time Strategy, and MMORPGs. Sure there are other genres but they are so few and far between or have very small releases.

RPGs, dead genre. Most of the RPGs now are of the console style and are extremely watered down compaired to RPGs of the past. Even then they rarely come out, being almost a year between a new RPG.

SIMs, are practically dead, its kinda funny looking at the SIM page of gaming sites for the TOP 10 and seeing games that have been out in the 90s only there. Space Sims which used to be a huge genre has only had 1 release in the past 4 years. Flight sims (not training sims) are rarely released at all....

Turn based stategy is dead, the only releases we get are from Sid Meyer or eastern europeon countries. Tactical gamers are COMPLETELY dead, it takes a russian company to release Silent Storm.... civilization style games are either from small 3rd party companies (stardock) or from Sid Meyer.... thank GOD a group is brining back HOMM.

Most gaming now is simply clones and mass audience crowd pleasers. The game industry right now is compairable to the 80s film industry, a bunch of senseless and idiotic fast paced action movies and very few of anything that is actually good.

I bring this up a lot because people keep bringing it up, its true. The game industry sucks right now... In fact this exact same thing happened in the 80s before NES came out for console games. Everyone was releasing clones of the popular games that were out and the game industry crumbled many companies going out of business and people losing their jobs, i HOPE that happens with the industry now, they need to be taught a lesson to do quality and variety over quantitiy.
    Agreed on almost all counts, excluding the comment about tactical games. Solid tactical simulations are still made pretty frequently, just look at the gameplay in that Battle of Bull Run release. On the bigger budget scene, check out Brothers in Arms if you haven't already, I just played the demo and am looking forward to the full game, namely the multiplayer. They will be releasing a sequel which sounds pretty similar except that the AI will be way more effective.

The American gaming industry is pretty boring right now, but the same motive which drives our publishers to fund these been-there-done-that products will eventually drive them to pursue wonderfully creative and innovative titles
    - profit

The publishers notice when some small Eastern European developer releases Operation Flashpoint and sells tons of copies. I'm convinced that in the publishers' attempt to cover all aspects of the market, they will begin allowing developers more free reign and investing in innovative concepts.

Here's the link to Will Wright's GDC presentation of a very early version of Spore. I post it again because it's really worth watching. If a success, this game may open a whole new stage for gaming in that the use of complex procedual coding has extensive potential for new styles of gameplay.

By tactical games i mean something more along the lines of Silent Storm... the tactical games you mentioned are still First Person Shooters, what I mean is turn based ones. Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance, X-Com are all like this. They are great games as well...

For the most part what i'm saying is far wide release games in western europe and america. I know eastern europeons breat the dead genre rule often, but their games do not frequently hit US shelves. IL2 Stumovik (i know i spelled that wrong), Silent Storm, X2 the Threat (german), are all like this.

Anything from a dead genre is very few and far between, not all of them are good as well. Also games in these dead genres are starting to make an appeal to "mainstream" AKA dumbing down the gameplay. I'm hoping CIV4 doesn't do this though it does sound whenever there is an interview that hes trying to mainstream it.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Quote Originally Posted by Irunintospears
    Try this Demo
    http://www.taleworlds.com/
    a refreshing game from an independent
    U know, i have heard nothing but good from this game. I think i will try it.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

@ Kanaric

True true. Amazing how a game like X-Com can be so much more fun than some of the newest RTS releases.

I think one of the major problems with big publisher big budget releases is that they've realized that too much replayability is bad for business. They want to sell that sequel or expansion, so they aren't going to make a product that will keep you satisfied over the long run. CA has been guilty of this under Activision, hard-coding the game in order to prevent modders from developing for free what CA is doing for fee.

If you liked X2 the Threat, X3 will be out soon and it looks simply amazing, I think there's already a thread about that one though. EDIT: lol, and of course you would be who started that thread :laughing:
    Last edited by Manningham; July 01, 2005 at 11:29 PM.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Age of Empires III will be released towards the holiday season. Check it out here. http://www.ageofempires3.com

Not only does it look like a gem, but it's got a great blend of RTS and Turn-Based Strategy as well. They have a Home City feature that you can upgrade after every campaign.

And don't forget that Neverwinter Nights 2 is in development. If it's anything like the first one, then we'll have a real treat coming our way.

wow that tale worlds demo mount and blade was simply i can sum it up into only one word ORGASMIC lol it was refreshing to the others those who played it did u participate in the war WHICH SIDE? me i chose the vaegers but not untill late i was just a freelance dude protecting there merchents till it got personal when i saw them atttack one of the vaegeres armys i attacked them till i was like -50 everytime i went in there city the guy spat at me anyways it was great i was haveing lotsa fun i dont like zedron though i was hoping they would get pulled into the war oh and did any of you see seiges? all i saw was battles but they never attakced eachothers citys and i couldnt either mabey has to be later in game or when you are hated enough so ur considerd a horrbile enemy then i guees they might give you a mission to captujre citys or help others do so? anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast