Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [SUB MOD] Crackle of Musketry v0.3! 2.1 Final Compatible

Default Re: [SUB MOD] Crackling Musketry v 0.1

Quote Originally Posted by britishballer View Post
    i jsut installed the most recent edition of IS 2.03 and attempted to use this mod. unfortunately, when i get into battle, it crashes out. when i uncheck in mod manager and load ETW with IS 2.03, then i easily can play battles with not crashes. maybe its conflicting with another mod, but is it compatible with the latest IS?

thx,
    brit
    Which version of the mod were you using? Rank research, no sounds?

What other mods were you using besides IS and mine?

Most importantly, what two factions are in the battle?

I will try to fix it as soon as I know what the problem is.

Try deleting your "user script" file. Then re-start the mod manager and check all the mods you want activated. Then launch.

Sometimes the user script gets messed up leading to a ctd
    In God we trust...everyone else gets searched.

where is the user script? if tha tis the case, i got the enw user script from IS 2.03. when a new version comes out do i always need to delete it?

also, as for mods, i am use the rank research no sounds with DLC version of IS 2.03 and a ton of other mods. if you need them i will respond.

thanks,
    brit
    Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Just noticed something else I love about your mod. Each soldier takes a different amount of time to load...sometimes only a fraction of a second but a different time nonetheless. Over time (5-6 vollyes) the soldiers become so de-synchronized that there is just constantly firing at will. Contrary to some other posters, I think this is very realistic (Plus it sounds and looks GREAT). Can you imaging how difficualt it is to maintian synchronized firing drills in battle when your troops are deaf, covered in a haze of think acrid smoke and pumped full of adrenaline? Anyone who had been in combat will tell you that it is extrememly difficult to NOT fire your weapon when a target is right in front of you...particularly when he is firing at you. Commanders had a hell of a time keeping troops from stopping to fire in the middle of bayonet charges let alone standing still.

Most of these drills were for the parade ground as they could not be maintained in battle. In addition, as de Saxe noted, you can maintain a higher level of firepower when everyone is allowed to fire on their own becuase faster loaders need not wait for the slower or a command from an officer that might never be heard.

Thnaks for your mod.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeCK View Post
    Just noticed something else I love about your mod. Each soldier takes a different amount of time to load...sometimes only a fraction of a second but a different time nonetheless. Over time (5-6 vollyes) the soldiers become so de-synchronized that there is just constantly firing at will. Contrary to some other posters, I think this is very realistic (Plus it sounds and looks GREAT). Can you imaging how difficualt it is to maintian synchronized firing drills in battle when your troops are deaf, covered in a haze of think acrid smoke and pumped full of adrenaline? Anyone who had been in combat will tell you that it is extrememly difficult to NOT fire your weapon when a target is right in front of you...particularly when he is firing at you. Commanders had a hell of a time keeping troops from stopping to fire in the middle of bayonet charges let alone standing still.

Most of these drills were for the parade ground as they could not be maintained in battle. In addition, as de Saxe noted, you can maintain a higher level of firepower when everyone is allowed to fire on their own becuase faster loaders need not wait for the slower or a command from an officer that might never be heard.

Thnaks for your mod.
    The men in the 18th century would literally march into musket, and just keep on marching whilst there comrades fell, not stopping to return fire until they were told to halt, and while it is true that some units would have of course descended into firing randomly and anarchy, they wouldn't do so right away, which is my biggest problem with the mod: there is NEVER synchronized fire. They NEVER fire by rank, not even ONCE, which makes no sense- I can defiantly understand how over a period of time things would descend into anarchy, but not within 3 seconds of the order to halt being given. This is especially true for the high quality line units, such as the British redcoats and the Prussian line. Do you really think they would descend into anarchy in an instant? Even armies that didn't have line infantry of as high of a quality, such as France, would be able to maintain some semblance of order for a period of time. If after 3-4 volleys of organized fire, it descended into semi-orderless firing, I could understand, but that's not what happens. (By volleys I mean a full three rank cycle.)

If you do not like "Boom Boom Boom" why dont you make a new musket sound with delay? I did that with my own mod. Everyone can keep their firing drill and the game is the same but sound diffferent.

Quote Originally Posted by britishballer View Post
    where is the user script? if tha tis the case, i got the enw user script from IS 2.03. when a new version comes out do i always need to delete it?

also, as for mods, i am use the rank research no sounds with DLC version of IS 2.03 and a ton of other mods. if you need them i will respond.

thanks,
    brit

Oh heck, i can never remember the names of the folders but if you placed the one you got with IS, then find it and delte it (I think its documents and settings, user, applications, creative assembly) I think thats it. wherever it is delete it. If you are using the mod manager, when you start up the mod manager, check the mods you want and launch the game from the mod manager, it writes a NEW user script. It should work.
    Last edited by mikeCK; August 06, 2009 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucan View Post
    The men in the 18th century would literally march into musket, and just keep on marching whilst there comrades fell, not stopping to return fire until they were told to halt, and while it is true that some units would have of course descended into firing randomly and anarchy, they wouldn't do so right away, which is my biggest problem with the mod: there is NEVER synchronized fire. They NEVER fire by rank, not even ONCE, which makes no sense- I can defiantly understand how over a period of time things would descend into anarchy, but not within 3 seconds of the order to halt being given. This is especially true for the high quality line units, such as the British redcoats and the Prussian line. Do you really think they would descend into anarchy in an instant? Even armies that didn't have line infantry of as high of a quality, such as France, would be able to maintain some semblance of order for a period of time. If after 3-4 volleys of organized fire, it descended into semi-orderless firing, I could understand, but that's not what happens. (By volleys I mean a full three rank cycle.)
    I'm not suggesting that men would stop marching and fire in formation. What I am saying is that in combat, men become victims of momentum. if the unit is marching, they will march...if the unit is routing, they will rout. When firing, a soldier is releasing...its almost a relief...like scratchimg an itch, to finally discharge your weapon after taking fire. Once you start firing, its hard to stop. Soldiers would be ordered to fire and then would simply load and fire as fast as they could. At first because they cannot hear or see their officers..and later, through sheer momentum This mod reflects that...I think.

To each there own. I just like to see a variety of mods. The one discussed above with teh delay is good too...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucan View Post
    I know exactly what you are saying, and I agree that it isn't a completely historically accurate way to represent battles. But then again, neither is the vanilla way of doing things. There is always a compromise.

It doesn't completely break immersion as it is. When first contact is made every man will fire in one motion. Unlike mass_fire, they don't fire at the exact same second either and you can see or hear the effect, rippling smoke and a cacophony of musket fire. This is in stark contrast to the machine like sterility where two units would meet, fire a few volleys at each other, sit in silence while reloading and staring at each other, waiting for the last guy to finish reloading, and then firing like machines at the exact same second again and again until one unit runs away. In my opinion that way is less historically accurate and less immersive.

The lack of organized fire degenerating into chaos isn't my mods fault, it is the game's fault. The way it works is either the default way or my way. I have tried to get it to work without doing away with the firing drills, but was unsuccessful. For now, at least, this is the best I can do.

If you do not like "Boom Boom Boom" why dont you make a new musket sound with delay? I did that with my own mod. Everyone can keep their firing drill and the game is the same but sound diffferent.
    It is more than just sound that makes this different. It is the sound, the visuals of the rolling smoke coming from all parts of the line and the constant hail of bullets that makes this unique.

Hey PB&J, this is just the kind of mod I've been looking for. The new musket sound effects seem pretty nice also. The only problem I'm having is that when i try a custom battle as Great Britain, I instantly get a CTD. I loaded it in mod manager before IS like you said. Would custom skins have anything to do with it? Thanks ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Foyer View Post
    Hey PB&J, this is just the kind of mod I've been looking for. The new musket sound effects seem pretty nice also. The only problem I'm having is that when i try a custom battle as Great Britain, I instantly get a CTD. I loaded it in mod manager before IS like you said. Would custom skins have anything to do with it? Thanks ahead of time.
    The custom sounds may have something to do with it, but I doubt it. First off, try deleting the user.empire_script.txt in the The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts.

For windows vista: C:\Users\(Your User Name Here)\AppData\Roaming\
    For windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(Your User Name Here)\Application Data\

Sometimes I've had issues resolved by doing this, a couple of times I've deleted the entire creative assembly folder mentioned above. I don't think this crash is due to the file.

If deleting the script.txt (or entire folder) doesn't work, then let me know what other mods you are running and which of the four files you are using.

Thanks for using my mod!

I'm running the your first file, the one with sound and no research. After that comes IS 2.03, Tuca's music, BSM 4.0 Full, proper militia v13, equipment tweak, realistic flags v12, family tree, and a couple unit retextures. This is the order I have them in on mod manager.

I think your problem lies in the BSM 4.0 mod. It isn't yet compatible with Imperial Splendour because it heavily utilizes the projectiles tables, which Imperial Splendour also does. I would try using an earlier version of the BSM mod. I have been using 3.1 and it has given me no troubles.

Let me know if it gets better.

I tried 3.1 and its still crashing on me. And its not just GB, I'm also getting ctd as soon as I click on UP and Prussia in custom battles. Then I turned off your mod and tried playing and its working fine. I don't know where its conflicting.

So should I try deleting the creative assembly folder?

Anyways, I really enjoy this mod. I don't know if its historically accurate for some European factions but I think it adds a nice feel to the game. Good work.

The only way to find out is to delete lines in the script file one by one and testing to see what's conflicting.

My guess, at first place to start, would be the equipment tweak.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I am willing to lay challenge to how often the tactics stated in manuals,admittedly theory proposed by their respective composers,actually translated into action once battle was joined.regardless of the discipline of the men involved it is a hard press to believe that most men fully capable of doing otherwise would stand stock still and await the man across the field to draw aim and fire upon them rather than pull the trigger of their own readied musket because the order was not given to do so.I realise that this was in effect the theoretical way that a man would carry himself upon the field but were we to lay witness to such a thing in reality i think we would see something far different most of the time.to reflect this reality there are numerous instances of the battles of this period breaking down into a general pell mell of musketry and carnage where semblance of uniformity was upheld only by the holding of the ranks of the respective firing lines.please note that in the battles where are stated the continued usage of fully dressed volleys of concerted musketry,such exchanges were done but 2 or 3 times before the charge of bayonets,henceforth seen more as the Pilum that were thrown into the enemy host prior to the charge of the roman legion than anything that could be called a prolonged fire fight.It is in the instance of said fire fight that conditions disallow the nature of man to remain bridled in the heat of battle,hence the order to fire at will became prevalent whether it was actually voiced or not.And for those that speak of the American soldeirs during the Revolution and Civil war please note that heir tactics were derived directly from British and Prussian manuals of war and strictly adhered to as such.I think the pell mell break down is quiete good

Wow, wall of text.

I have not given up on the files, and I plan on releasing a new version within the week. I am out of town, and that is what is preventing me from releasing sooner. For the next version I will bring the files up to standard and incorporate compatibility with the French revolution sub mod, warcry of the republic.

Also, I need to decide how to treat the fusileers. Should they go from firing unorganized volleys to platoon fire, or rank fire? Or volleys, rank fire, then platoon fire? Or how about just unorganized volleys? Some feedback on what people want would be delightful.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Volley,Rank ,Platoon would be good I think.I have been playing around with the mod a bit in battles,and I am not too sure if i like the mass fire that goes on for the most part,rathering it be restricted to the first few lines as best.but all in all a fantastic mod and a must have for battle field immersion.also even though i am rather sure it is not on a high list of priorities,a vanilla all inclusive version of the mod would be excellent as well,for i absolutely love the mod and plan to continue its usage but for the time being find that there are mods I would like to see it in other than IS

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am willing to lay challenge to how often the tactics stated in manuals,admittedly theory proposed by their respective composers,actually translated into action once battle was joined.regardless of the discipline of the men involved it is a hard press to believe that most men fully capable of doing otherwise would stand stock still and await the man across the field to draw aim and fire upon them rather than pull the trigger of their own readied musket because the order was not given to do so.I realise that this was in effect the theoretical way that a man would carry himself upon the field but were we to lay witness to such a thing in reality i think we would see something far different most of the time.to reflect this reality there are numerous instances of the battles of this period breaking down into a general pell mell of musketry and carnage where semblance of uniformity was upheld only by the holding of the ranks of the respective firing lines.please note that in the battles where are stated the continued usage of fully dressed volleys of concerted musketry,such exchanges were done but 2 or 3 times before the charge of bayonets,henceforth seen more as the Pilum that were thrown into the enemy host prior to the charge of the roman legion than anything that could be called a prolonged fire fight.It is in the instance of said fire fight that conditions disallow the nature of man to remain bridled in the heat of battle,hence the order to fire at will became prevalent whether it was actually voiced or not.And for those that speak of the American soldeirs during the Revolution and Civil war please note that heir tactics were derived directly from British and Prussian manuals of war and strictly adhered to as such.I think the pell mell break down is quiete good
    The problem is that this was not always the case, and the Empire combat engine can not properly represent that. For instance, I have read several accounts from soldiers of varying nations- mainly Prussians- where fire discipline was maintained. Not to mention that E:TWs portrayal of rank fire is inaccurate- the first row would kneel, and the second row would stand. Always. If there were three rows, the first and second rows would assume the kneeling position. Of course it varied army to army, but this was the general pattern for European troops. All in all, the E:TW engine makes it impossible to accuratley portray the way in which soldiers fired volleys- this comes closer in some ways than in vanilla E:TW, but in other ways it doesn't.

Ultimately, i would love to have rank fire for one volley and then mass fire but I dont think it works that way. All I can say is that this mod got me back into ETW. I love the sound when all three ranks open up at once at point blank range and half the front row of the enemy falls. Awesome.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast