Thread: Help me make Kingdoms work please!

soloman1129's Avatar Libertus

Default Help me make Kingdoms work please!

So I bought Kingdoms when it first came out and it worked fine. All was well.

But then we got a new computer. And unlike the previous computer, which ran off XP, this one had Vista.

And when I tried to install Kingdoms it started to install patch 1.2. This is where my problem is. It comes up with some error message saying 'cannot launch patch process' or sometimes it says in cannot detect Medieval II on my computer.

I've tried everything. Even downloading patch 1.2 from an outside source. But it will never install.

Patch 1.1 has no problems, thats on there. But 1.2 will NOT install and therefore neither will Kingdoms

I'm so infruiated by it. If anyone knows how to fix said problem I will be eternally gratefull
    “Policies are judged by their consequences, but crusades are judged by how good they make the crusaders feel.”

Thomas Sowell

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Default Re: Help me make Kingdoms work please!

Are you sure you installed the Vista version of said patch?
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

-laughs- I had no idea there were different versions. If you could send me a link I would be very grateful. For some one who is quite a big gamer I'm rubbish with computers lol
    “Policies are judged by their consequences, but crusades are judged by how good they make the crusaders feel.”

Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by soloman1129 View Post
    -laughs- I had no idea there were different versions. If you could send me a link I would be very grateful. For some one who is quite a big gamer I'm rubbish with computers lol
    As far as I know there isn't a different patch for Vista vs. XP. In fact I doubt there is as the game was released before Vista.

As for your patch problem: Did you patch to 1.1 before trying to patch to 1.2? If so that's your problem.

Here's the patch order from M2 1.0: 1.2 ---> 1.3 ---> Kingdoms (1.4) ---> 1.5

EDIT: Make sure you have the proper patch for your region (i.e. download the US patch for N. America and UK for Europe)
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

yes 1.1 is installed. 1.2 however is being an arse lol

Thomas Sowell

yes 1.1 is installed. 1.2 however is being an arse lol
    Sorry I didn't make it clear. I need more coffee....

You CANNOT patch from 1.1 to 1.2 - it will mess up the game. What you need is a fresh install of 1.0 and then patch that to 1.2.

I'm fairly certain I've tried that too. I'll give it another go though

Thomas Sowell

I'm fairly certain I've tried that too. I'll give it another go though
    Try using a reg cleaner between uninstall and reinstall. That may help. Good luck!

Im sorry. I have no clue what a reg cleaner is. See above comment about me being useless with computers lol

Thomas Sowell

Im sorry. I have no clue what a reg cleaner is. See above comment about me being useless with computers lol
    Check this link from Gigantus: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252060

You want CCCleaner. This is a program to help clean and maintain the registry on your machine. Uninstall M2 and then run this. It should clean out all of the old calls in your registry and hopefully help with your problem. Good luck.

★Bandiera Rossa☭'s Avatar The Red Menace

Did you make sure you ran it as administrator? that is often the problem with vista and installers.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

My five cents: If you are doing a new install, do it into a different directory. Programs in the 'program files' directory have a habit of ending up partially in the notorious 'virtual store': a virtual night mare for the unaware modder (if you pardon my pun!)
    Personally I am installing into C:\Games for years and wasn't even aware of the problem people had with vista and modding.
    And after that forget about patch 1.1 and go straight for 1.2

Thanks to all of you for your help. I gunna give some of your suggestions a go. But if I mess up my computer doing them, I'm hunting you all down! lol

But seriously, thanks a lot guys and possibly gals (a female TW player, I dont think Ive ever come across one), much appreciated

Thomas Sowell

A few notes.

The problem stems from the design of the patches. The files you download are self-extracting archives that -obviously- extract themselves to some temporary place then launch the installer which is -quite frankly- a retarded way of patching software that needs a full blown installer to install in the first place (guess what happens on a system which doesn't let you tinker with its innards at will? fail that's what happens, and hard too). I found that out the hard way (e.g. failing to install a patch a few times in a row), it doesn't matter whether or not you have UAC turned on/off/defunct/destroyed/w/ever because the problem appears to be that the installer is basically denied to work the registry by security precautions common to temporary file dump directorys (e.g. C:\Temp ). (E.g: No-SUID filters on temp directories... )

Secondly patch 1.2 apparently goes over the 1.0 (unpatched) Game, or at least some M2TW Heaven site says so. I dunno, I do know that taking the 1.0 -> 1.2 route worked for me.

Thirdly you will need to circumvent the intended-way of patching your game: do not double click the file. Instead use some kind of archiver like 7zip to extract the files to some directory. (Make a mental note to nuke that directory when done, unless of course you like the mess better.) Then use the installer that is extracted from the archive you downloaded (will be somewhere down the directory you extracted the files to) and run it as administrator. That worked for me.

Then when done you install Kingdoms. According to the same M2TW Heaven site you wouldn't need the patching hoops if you had Kingdoms, but according to another that only applies to XP and not Vista users --whether or not that's true; it remains odd in my book that you would need to patch the game manually before being able to install an expansion when one can reasonably expect the patching to be done by the expansion's installer... Anyways there are of course issues with Kingdoms so there is another patch that goes on top of the pile and called 1.5. Which funnily enough is a plain ZIP archive containing an installer. Extract and run the installer as usual.

wow. I'm sorry. I'm going to have to point Tellos there the above comment about me being no good with computers. that meant nothing to me lol.

Anywho. A quick update. I uninstalled Medieval II with the intent to try out your suggestions. When i came to re-install it, it no longer was installing in the right place, yet it will not let me change the directory manually (keep giving me an error message) Anyway, long story short. I now can no longer play medieval II at all, as it wont installl. I feel like taking a hammer to this computer

Thomas Sowell

Blog Entries

steps to uninstall:

1. Run the regular uninstaller
    2. Check the original directory and manually delete any left overs
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Run a registry check. CCleaner is basic and does the job
    5. Re-install, preferably into a different directory

Blog Entries

Ways to a successful uninstall:

1. Run the regular uninstaller
    2. Remove 'left overs' manually
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Run a registry check - CCleaner does a reasonable job
    5. Re-install into a different directory

To any that care on my problem. Heres what happened.

1. I moved out of my parents house and to a flat near my university and got a new computer, with the new hope that medievall II might work

2. It didnt

3. However, now I am no longer stuck on a computer which is in a dark cupboard under the stairs I managed to check the CD properly to find in was incredibly scratched to point where it wouldnt work.

4. Went out and bought the Gold edition for £15 and now both medieval II and kingdoms work on my new computer. All in all, the problem is hereby closed. Thank you all for you help, sorry the soloution seemed so darn obvious lol

Thomas Sowell

+rep to you all. Of all the games I play I've never experienced a sense of community like with the total war one. sentimental mushy stuff over with. thank you

Thomas Sowell

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

You're welcome Enjoy playing them all including the mods. Closed.