Thread: unit cost/upkeep

Default unit cost/upkeep

hi everyone, just installed this mod today, but probably won't be able to play for another week :/
    in any case, i started a game as the langobards, and the unit cost/upkeep seems to be a bit off.
    (i know this has been tweaked and such).
    in my case i got golden bands at 160 to recruit and 340 in upkeep is this right? or has something gone wrong in my installation?
    EDIT: forgot to mention, one of the roman units had a recruit cost of 274 and 1475 or something in upkeep?
    Last edited by A_Dane; August 01, 2009 at 02:50 PM.

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: unit cost/upkeep

Wellcome A_Dane,
    you are right, the barbarian costs are much lower than the costs of Romans Units (just have a look to Plumbatarii...). That is due to Rio's mods, to give exactly the money problems that they had to "upkeep" their armies. Just as an example with the money to upkeep a full stack Roman Army (made by Romans unit only), you can upkeep two or three Barbarian full stacks and keep some coins to offer them a beer ...
    On the other side the Romans units are really strong: a line of Legio Lanciarii, even very expensive, thay can hold whatever enemy, maybe only the heaviest cavalry units can smash in, but they should be at least three or four units...
    Last that is made also to build armies made by a mix of Foederati units with Romans units, as they were made the Romans Armies of the period ...

See soon you with your campaigns ...!

Hi A_Dane

Just to add to margios post, costs and upkeep are somewhat relative to the factions current economic predisposition. Costs between barbarians may vary but almost always upkeep costs will be high..An exception with the Huns. Maintaining an army is economically exhausting thus its why I have implemented upkeep costs that far exceeding recruiting costs and this is demonstrated to the fullest with the Roman factions. Romans faced this issue through out their empire but never more evident then in the 5th century

Any questions feel free..margio or I would be glad to answerer any questions

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

all right thanks for the answers, was just wondering as i was making insanely large ammount of cash after capturing 4 cities and having quite a big army.
    it makes sense was just startled by the very significant difference
    again thank you

Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    all right thanks for the answers, was just wondering as i was making insanely large ammount of cash after capturing 4 cities and having quite a big army.
    it makes sense was just startled by the very significant difference
    again thank you
    Let us know how the campaign goes.. Are you playing the Romans?

it's starting up quite nicely, i'm playing as the lombards, packed up and left for italy as soon as possible, and currently i got most of north and central italy under my control (rome included), allied to the vandals so they hopefully won't bug me until i'm done cleaning up in rome.

(on a side note, i had an earlier version on my old comp, where i tried the same thing, i ended up on sardinia being whiped out by the vandals )
    EDIT: i've read some posts and such on the forum that says it should be hard to keep roman conquerored land as barbarians, i have however not experienced this, i can keep some 4-5 group of barbarian peasants and they're all happy, is that normal?
    Last edited by A_Dane; August 10, 2009 at 06:01 AM.

it's starting up quite nicely, i'm playing as the lombards, packed up and left for italy as soon as possible, and currently i got most of north and central italy under my control (rome included), allied to the vandals so they hopefully won't bug me until i'm done cleaning up in rome.

(on a side note, i had an earlier version on my old comp, where i tried the same thing, i ended up on sardinia being whiped out by the vandals )
    EDIT: i've read some posts and such on the forum that says it should be hard to keep roman conquerored land as barbarians, i have however not experienced this, i can keep some 4-5 group of barbarian peasants and they're all happy, is that normal?
    The Lombards are the only barbarian faction I didn't modify to experience this lol...but I will change it for the new upgrade

ahh okey, guess i just took the wrong nation for starters xD felt rather weird having read about how hard it normally it is, i make enourmous ammount of gold having taken italy and having relative few problems controlling it

ahh okey, guess i just took the wrong nation for starters xD felt rather weird having read about how hard it normally it is, i make enourmous ammount of gold having taken italy and having relative few problems controlling it
    Play out the campaign though..you should be running into some tough factions in a little while who are expanding and would like that piece of pie that you currently got

hehe yeah was planning on it the franks kinda scare me, got most of northern france and germany, and the burgundians decided to become their vassals xD