Thread: Centurion

Default Centurion

So here's a little behind the scenes snippet of a movie coming out soon called Centurion.

In AD 117, the legendary Roman Ninth Legion is led by General Virilus to wipe out the Picts and to kill their leader Gorlacon. The legion is joined by Quintus Dias, a survivor from a Roman frontier fort that the Picts raided.
    It's being called a historical thriller, in that the story behind the Ninth is that they went north from Hadrian's wall with some 4,000 men and then disappeared as far as records go. So the debate has been that they were either disbanded, or destroyed in Germany years later. But the director stated this movie is picking up on a legend and then speculating what happens. I guess it's primarily that the 9th is decimated by the Picts and the survivors have to fight their way back to Hadrian's wall.

I'm sure it will have some glaring historical innaccuracies, but these costumes look great and I think there will be some awesome battles and fight scenes and I think we can use another Roman movie so I for one and looking forward to this.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Centurion

Looks, and sounds, like The Last Legion which was more accurate to Lord of the Rings then history

I don't think it's going to go into any silly business like the Last Legion did. I think it's just going to tell a supposed story and speculate on what happened to the 9th when it was in Britain. Nothing fanciful like Excalibur or the last Emperor of Rome being King Arthur's father or whatever and no Merlin etc.

I like Dominic West and Neil Marshall has made some pretty bloody movies (The Descent, Doomsday), so this could be fun. None of the epic green screen battles, but I'm expecting some very violent up close combat. Probably like the opening scene of Gladiator, with dirt and blood in the cold forests of europe.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Looks like it might be okay. But I hope to God this director doesn't like using the "shaky camera" effect too often. That's a precondition for me to enjoy a movie these days.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Yeah I don't think there's any CGI for the film battle wise so that should be cool seeing actual extras duking it out. Nice and gritty.

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

Looks pretty good, I'll give it a watch. Whens the release date?

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

edit double post.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

better not be

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

The filming of that motley crew of Roman Legionaries in a conifer plantation, will probably tell you how much historical realism will be portrayed in this film.
    They should re-screen the 1977 BBC version of "Eagle of the Ninth" by Rosemary Sutcliffe or better still produce a new version. However the story was really a childrens book and is probably not violent or adventurous enough to cater for the type of audience film companies cater for these days.

Comes Domesticorum

Mmmmm, even if the movie sucks, Olga Kurylenko will still be in it.

Yummy.

Yes, she is mute after the Romans cut out her tongue.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Doesn't she say at 1.03 "Its all physical. err fighting and being a horse"

She can be my horse any day. I have no idea what that would entail, however.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    She can be my horse any day. I have no idea what that would entail, however.
    I would assume a lot of riding.

Phalanx300's Avatar Protector Domesticus

No Greenscreen? Well thats good news, though hopefully it wont be small scale battles because of that.

They should make another Spartan movie, enough interesting generals lived.