Thread: Western Roman Empire Tips

Default Western Roman Empire Tips

Well I've tried again and again and again. Anyone got any points for a complete Noob I play on M/M I know I need to get rid of the Goths but those huge armies look very very imposing, should I move all troops to deal with them and then build my econ back up whilst holding onto as much territory as possible?

I'm lost here guys any help?

master88's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Western Roman Empire Tips

1) Disband boarder troops so that you have money.

2) Get rid of barbarian noble calvary (too expensive) and troop you know would take you past 5 turns to reach the place where u need defending

3) Let them sack rome (goths) it wont hurt u in the long run.

4) Know how to defend and if u know you cant win a siege kill as many as possible. It will help u in regaining the territory.

5) Cities that if u drop your tax level and they would still riot raise the taxes to the highest and put out your troop of the city and on the next turn (most times) their would be alot less people to rule (due to them leaving and riots) and place back the troops in the cities.

6)Arles........Conquer it on your first turn with little troops lost. The three closest armies closest to it should siege it while the other (cause their is 4) should siege another place. The I.C faction (Imperium Constantini) is already in debt and cant come out so they sending armies to save besiged cities is rare.

7) About the goths, u have some seriously cool troops in italy (more so in the north) take them out of the cities and put them in armies with the generals and keep them (the armies with the generals) close by as to support them. After the goths sack rome they would be moving north. An easy way to win is to get 2 generals with full stacks or close to full stack and stand close to the mountains or on bridges they know they must pass on.

These tips should help u (though they are many more)
    Last edited by master88; July 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: needed to put more info.
    Roman Gunner

Thanks for the help buddy, I've already driven the Goths out of Italy (I killed one of their Stacks left most of the northern Italian cities soldierless to make them settle then destroyed the remainder of their soldiers With the Constanti Faction I'm okay with just keeping Arelate under siege for now and when I've dealt with the remainder of the Goths i'm going to blitz them with whatever left I'm then going to move on the Vandals in Spain and the Berbers in Africa)

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

I suggest you train loads of Foederati Infantry in Corduba for you can spawn them (0 turns recruit time). With this army you will be able to defeat the vandal armies in your spanish territories and eventually capture Gades or Toletum. You should move some of the armies guarding the forts near Tingis move into Spain as reinforcements.

A general tip : Do not build any buildings in the first 10-20 turns. I easily increased my income (VH/VH) to about 40k per turn because I didn't build any.

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

When i play WRE i dont disband single unit. I withdraw some border units to reinforce towns - or make larger border garisons ( example Africa ). Next step is hold Chartago Novae in SPania, get rid of goths in Italy and conquer as much as i can in Gaul until im to much spread. When im done i start to get around 10000 per turn ( that means around 10 turns to get on green ) and then concentrate on building commercial buildings and basic training grounds. And next step is conquer region after a region.......yes.

I just dont like disbanding units tactic - it is unrealistic - if you are about to fall you use every unit to stop falling hehe

i play on vh/h or when im in mood also vh/vh

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

send Honorius down to Rome with his palatine guard and some cavalry, across the Tiber bridge and wait, the visigoth hordes should attack peacemeal, so in one turn you can effectively destroy them. If only real-world Honorius was that decisive...also, the second play-through where I did that, he beat all the other armies, but had lost about half the original stack, then Alaric came. Technically won, but only since Alaric and his army left in good order, with 20% of his men left, and Honorius was dead. How the mighty have fallen! Still, he kinda deserved it for having Stilicho assassinated.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994