Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: RegionMod 3.0 - Kingdoms Version

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: RegionMod 3.0 - Kingdoms Version and Patches

Im wondering why the Hedjaz faction was implemented into this mod. Because there are some pressing problems that are conserned with them.

1. Is that they are completely isolated, with only Egypt near by to annoy you. Their closest enemy are reble settlements and some other far-off factions (the Turks and another faction). This in turn limits to you 2 choices, A) is to attack Egypt and get wiped out (there is no way you can wage war and win at any stage with them anytime soon). B) is to attack the reble settlements and take jerulsem and antoich befor the turks and egypt do, other wise your empire wont have any real grasp in the middle east, this isnt a easy task. Expanding isnt exactly easy.

2. They are not exactly rich (almost one of the poorest), meaning creating a sutiable army will always be difficuled and construction will always be costly. Again expanding isnt ideal.

3. Theres always the chance that Egypt will turn against you (very rare) but if it dose happen, your screwed, naturally.

4. What historical/gameplay do they take part, in ME2? This faction is so insignificant that they are more uncommon and less seen then scotland. The Hedjaz army looks impressive (in the custom battles) but its unlikely that army will be able to be used in the campagin, considering their neighbours, starting position and natural bases / economey.

What I'm getting at is this faction is wasting space, so to speak. I would much rather personally that jeruelsam from the kingdoms campagins take their place as a local faction. But thats up to you, Im just giving feedback on what I've already seen.

Onto some good news, everything is going fine other wise and the mod is great. Only other thing I can comment on is when looking around in europe the screen starts to lag alot.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Onto some good news, everything is going fine other wise and the mod is great. Only other thing I can comment on is when looking around in europe the screen starts to lag alot.
    That is due to the amount of 3D (cas files) elements, particularly high mountains and trees.

On the Hedjaz issue Irishron will be able to enlighten you about the reason for their being there.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    That is due to the amount of 3D (cas files) elements, particularly high mountains and trees.

On the Hedjaz issue Irishron will be able to enlighten you about the reason for their being there.
    Hedjaz was my predessor's idea. He left no notes as to why before he vanished over two years ago. The only two reasons I can think of are they made sure Muhammed stayed alive long enough to fulfill his destiny and the Islam holy site at Mecca. Otherwise you're right. I have played Hedjaz a couple of times and I always headed for Akaba and Bostra first with Jerusalem in my sights. If someone wants to conquer the world they still have to through there.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Maybe they could be changed to a Damascus/Syria-faction representing the emirates from Syria to Mosul. Shouldn't be a problem. Just move them and change the name
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Quote Originally Posted by billydilly View Post
    Maybe they could be changed to a Damascus/Syria-faction representing the emirates from Syria to Mosul. Shouldn't be a problem. Just move them and change the name
    Who has a good history of the Levant of this time period?

S. Runciman: 'A History of the Crusades' is excellent and very detailed. The problem is that the muslim world wasn't united at the time. There was Ridwan of Aleppo, Duqaq of Damascus (Ridwans brother), Atabeg Kerbogha of Mosul etc. all ruled as semi-indepentant emirs under the Seljuk Sultan.

Maybe the Emirate of Damascus/Syria:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Near_East_1135.svg

Tutush I (Ridwans and Duqaqs father) was the ruler of Damascus (under the Seljuk Sultan) at the start of the mod period:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutush_I
    Last edited by billydilly; September 17, 2009 at 04:05 PM.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

And that would leave Antioch, Edessa, and Jerusalem up for grabs for anyone. They would be sitting target for the Turks, Armenians, and before long Egyptians.

Yes, wouldn't it be great

As it is now they sit in the bottom right corner, they can only take Akaba and Bostra and no more because Egypt, the turks and the Armenians take the rest of the middle east before Hedjaz can reach Jerusalem.

I'm also a bit worried about Mali, in my current game they do absolutly nothing. The Moors have taken almost everything in western Africa. Mali have Timbuktu and Gao.
    Last edited by billydilly; September 18, 2009 at 07:53 AM.

Mali does have its problems. The Sahara is a special case in itself. Right now most of it is impassable save for a few trade lanes through it.

The possibilities are to make the Sahara rocky or sandy desert like vanilla of which I don't think would help expansion plans, more settlements on the south side of the Atlas mountains but we have the hardcode limit on settlements, or maybe make Mali pure military minded and expansion minded of which I wouldn't know how at this point.

I keep thinking of eliminating the Americas of which would open up about six settlement slots and may help Africa as a whole,

I agree, the americas are a bit pointless, and six extra regions would ben nice.

Blog Entries

Some more changes like that and we might end up looking like PDeR.

One PDeR is enough.

Gigantus, did you read the post from Harry Lime and are you interested?

Blog Entries

Yeah, nice offer. Once I get my courage up to work on the recruitment thingy I will come back on that. The problem right now is to establish the 'pecking order' of the units within a faction.

Agreed.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Was playing Sicily yesterday and noticed some visual errors.

- Sicily has some of its unit cards displaying pesants. Early in the game (exact starting units), I think the units were archers and somthing else.
    - Italy, southern Calabris, has no trees. It looks very bland, much like plain grass lands except with surrounding water.
    - Sardinia (West of italy) has to many trees (imo). Some of the trees are also in the water.
    - Corsica (settlement, west of italy) is pratically in the water. (imo) its to close to the sea.
    - Pisa settlement (Middle of italy) is half floating off the ground. (Early stage of settlement btw, I dont know if the settlement will fix itself when it gets bigger).

The campagin map within the Imperial campagin menu looks like its been made by paint. Also its very hard to destingwish between faction and rebel regions. (I dont know if this is just a temporary thing... but yer).

Also some interesting news on the AI. Venice tried to take over Apulia (south west of italy), which was very suprising. Its good to see the AI being a bit adventerous.

just some more feedback
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Blog Entries

The campagin map within the Imperial campagin menu looks like its been made by paint. Also its very hard to destingwish between faction and rebel regions. (I dont know if this is just a temporary thing... but yer).
    Are you referring to the map when you choose your factions? If so:
    1. It is certainly not made by satellite
    2. Anything pastel green is rebel territory
    3. If you click on the various faction symbols you will see how it works
    - Sicily has some of its unit cards displaying pesants. Early in the game (exact starting units), I think the units were archers and somthing else.
    I thougth I had gotten them all. Must be a non faction unit. Will fix that
    - Italy, southern Calabris, has no trees. It looks very bland, much like plain grass lands except with surrounding water.
    - Sardinia (West of italy) has to many trees (imo). Some of the trees are also in the water.
    - Corsica (settlement, west of italy) is pratically in the water. (imo) its to close to the sea.
    These are graphic glitches, some are easy to fix, like tree\town in the water. Haven't noticed the floating city. Is that on the campaign or battlemap? The forest cover is a matter of personal preference- I for one have got no idea whether they had trees there during this period.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Sorry I should have been more specific
    Are you referring to the map when you choose your factions? If so:
    1. It is certainly not made by satellite
    2. Anything pastel green is rebel territory
    3. If you click on the various faction symbols you will see how it works
    Im talking about both maps, within the campagin game and when selecting a faction to play. I dont mind that it has/hasnt been made accordingly to satellite images. The problem is that the map is just ugly (to put it in simple terms). When looking at the origional map and this one, you know which one looks better and is easier to locate the factions (without having to selecte the faction first). Im sure many players look over the map and consider faction neighbours befor playing the faction first.

I thougth I had gotten them all. Must be a non faction unit. Will fix that
    These are graphic glitches, some are easy to fix, like tree\town in the water. Haven't noticed the floating city. Is that on the campaign or battlemap? The forest cover is a matter of personal preference- I for one have got no idea whether they had trees there during this period.
    I havnt seen a floating city/castle in the battle mode yet, Only in the campagin map are some visiable signs of floating towns.

About the trees, you have a point. I dont know what it looked like back then either. But theres a difference between being accuratly correct for realistic sake and being game perfect (in this case, visually) for the games sake. I would rather a fun game then a realistic game (to a extent). Likewise, I would prefure a more 'colorfull' army instead of a dull historical army (just as an example).

I also have some more feedback (while I was playing sicily still).

- England made some interesting enemies early in the game: Byzanrine empire & Armanian. Which was abit weird, since they are all very spread appart. (note there was a crusade called around this time but it was against Egypt- cairo).
    - There was a crusade called against Egypt cairo (turn 5), which turned out to be succesfull. France, poland (the victor), england and sweeden all joined in. Was the first time a crusade has been called against cairo for me.
    - Retinue expands. Alot of my faction leaders keep getting RE's but they are empty. When i click the tabs along the left of the campagin screen (to view the current news) most of the Retinue expands are empty with no benfits. The Retinue expands are also empty when looking at the info cards of the generals. All the empty Retinue expands have a shild or a horse as a image.
    - Tunis (North africa, south italy). When building crops in Tunis, a huge ammount of farm land appears in the campagin map accros all over tunis. Pretty much, all the grass land turns to farm land. imo I think its a bit excessive especially when tunis has a small population over such a huge area and also since building the cheaper farm structures first you wouldnt think it would cover all of tunis instantly.
    - Tunis also looks to close to the water.

Sorry for being a pest

Blog Entries

Thanks for the feed back.
    1. I agree: the faction selection map(s) could be made better.
    2. The Retinue is most likely billydilly's department
    3. Excessive farmland needs adjusting, I agree. Sometimes not that easy, but 'doable'.
    4. Funne wars - must be wrong settings in the faction standings file. Needs a closer look

IZob's Avatar Citizen

funny wars indeede

Early funny wars? With BBB included some things haven't changed. I still have Portugal, Spain and the Moors trading alliances and broken alliances followed by battles over control of Iberia. England and France at war in northern France, and Ireland and Scotland at war in northeastern Ireland spreading into Scotland and Wales.
    Things that have changed. Right now I have Novgorod and Mongols at war. I haven't sent a spy to check it out nor have I turned off the fog of war. I am having too much fun in Rome with a Crusade called against me and every Catholic faction gunning for it. HRE hsa sent three Crusade armies at the same time and Venice two by itself. I don't think the vanilla ai got this smart.