Thread: The Hobbit Trilogy 2012-2014

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: The Hobbit Trilogy 2012-2014

^ I was about to go on my regular Elves at Helms Deep rant but Ngugi basically summed up my opinions (without insulting anyone to boot. )

Otherwise I generally agree Lortano. Except maybe that unlike the others I'm highly entertained by the terminator-esque Legolas in the Hobbit.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    ^ I was about to go on my regular Elves at Helms Deep rant but Ngugi basically summed up my opinions (without insulting anyone to boot. )

Otherwise I generally agree Lortano. Except maybe that unlike the others I'm highly entertained by the terminator-esque Legolas in the Hobbit.
    I think Legolas is actually the only character who is more realistic in the Hobbit films, as opposed to LotR. The only moment he goes full-on beast mode, with Tarzanesque sliding over trees and running on heads as well as improbable double headshots, is the barrel escape, which by itself is completely ridiculous. He even runs out of ammo in the second film and gets his arse kicked by Scarface. No double or triple arrow shots, no snowboarding down stairs, no weird ways of mounting a horse and no failing to kill an easy to hit enemy with a bloody torch in his hand...

Senator

As opposed to knocking an orc of a balcony onto a convenient plank which catapults another orc twenty feet into the air, at the right height for Legolas to decapitate. Yeah, totally not as silly as LotR.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If anyone is interested in some spoilers from the movie tie-in books, have a look at these links:

The depiction of elves in these movies are problematic, because they're basically running on God-mode until it's convenient for the plot. They can hear or detect anything at anytime except when an army of orcs ambushes them in their own backyard. Lucky thing though, since it allowed the heroes to escape! Hohum...

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

In the LotR films I even could handled the silly surfing, had it not been for the Mûmakil, that was just to much, hehe.
    And, indeed an attempt to woo audience, admitted in background material. Legola's indeed cool killing of Orcs with arrows at Amon Hen was talked about, so PJ felt he could and should blow up Legola's role and capacity more and more. To bad, in my oppinion, they did not stayed at such bad ass moves as in FotR in TTT and RotK, that would remained awesome and not gone over the top.
    In The Hobbit, well that's the Hobbit, it simply goes with this franschise, as standing on it's own, so I don't find it a matter to react to

the terminator-esque Legolas in the Hobbit.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Just had to craft this little piece inspired by that ^^

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Senator

At the end of Battle of the Five Armies.- "I'll be back!"

Come on, it's worth a rep?

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

A new image of Bain:

Also here's a video, that I hadn't seen until now, where PJ talks about adapting the Hobbit:

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    The film allow us to see some o them fight fiercly on screen;
    If only they had fought fiercely! But they fall like flies.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Citizen

They do successfully defend the wall until its blown up, and after that they defend the breach for a while until they retreat back to the hornburg about the same time as the gate is breached. Their final fate is not shown, but presumably they were cut off from the keep and killed. However its pretty evident that from all the arrow kills and all the Uruks climbing up the ladders who must all have died, they made a very good account of themselves.

many of them died because noob aragorn ordered them to charge into pikes lol
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Funeh View Post
    Actually, one of the most common ways to fight pikemen historically was to send groups of swordsmen to try and slip between the pikes. So that one isn't particularly preposterous, especially when compared with the other 'tactics' shown.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

They do successfully defend the wall until its blown up, and after that they defend the breach for a while until they retreat back to the hornburg about the same time as the gate is breached. Their final fate is not shown, but presumably they were cut off from the keep and killed. However its pretty evident that from all the arrow kills and all the Uruks climbing up the ladders who must all have died, they made a very good account of themselves.
    Except for the guys who get mown down five at a time by those uruk berserkers. Hundreds of years of training and none of them manage to block those attacks? I mean, the first one might not have had enough time but number two or three should be able to put his sword up, don't you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Actually, one of the most common ways to fight pikemen historically was to send groups of swordsmen to try and slip between the pikes. So that one isn't particularly preposterous, especially when compared with the other 'tactics' shown.
    Or they could've kept firing for a while, I think that'd stop the advance too and break the formation. Then Aragorn could've done his charge into the enemy and he woudn't have ended up with so many impaled elves.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Apart from the fact that the uruks are rushing through a small gap where arrow fire will destroy them, doing one volley and charging doesn't actually make much sense.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Or they could've kept firing for a while, I think that'd stop the advance too and break the formation. Then Aragorn could've done his charge into the enemy and he woudn't have ended up with so many impaled elves.
    Well, apparently the agile and fast Elves ran straight into the braced pikes instead of trying to slip through.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Citizen

Apart from the fact that the uruks are rushing through a small gap where arrow fire will destroy them, doing one volley and charging doesn't actually make much sense.

We can just defer to the pretty valid assumption that arrow-fire alone from a 100 or so archers would not stop a 10 000 something army rushing though a fairly wide cap. The Uruks are also wearing plate armor and steel shields. So basically, if they wanted to hold the breach, charging in there was really the only option. Besides immediately retreating to the keep before they were cut off, remember being cut off from the keep is exactly what happened to the defenders in the books, they had to retreat to the Glittering Caves. But then rip Gimli and whoever left on the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Funeh View Post

The specific job of this dude was pretty much to charge into swiss pike squares. Note the armor and weapon.

Except for the guys who get mown down five at a time by those uruk berserkers. Hundreds of years of training and none of them manage to block those attacks? I mean, the first one might not have had enough time but number two or three should be able to put his sword up, don't you think.
    I think this is a pretty stupid discussion and I feel uber nerdy now.
    Last edited by Påsan; November 22, 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Please correct if I'm wrong, but weren't the Elves gaining time so that the Men could retreat to the keep? I had the idea that was why they charged the Uruk-Hai... Maybe not the best tactic, I agree, but perharps necessary.

Senator

No, Aragorn actually yelled fall back after he led the charge, with men still fighting on the battlements. The charge seemed rather pointless really as the only real way onto the battlements from their was up the conveniently undamaged stairs where they would be sitting ducks for arrow fire. Of course, there was the back stairs straight up to the Hornburg, and if they'd got that far the elves and Aragorn would have been cut off and cut into pretty little pieces.

Also Pasan, I'm not saying that 100 Elves firing into the gap could kill all the uruks but I think a few volleys more would have shot most of them down. Also, the first volley devastated the Uruks in their plate armour so I think that a few more shots would have been helpful, even in buying time for the men to fall back. Not saying that the charge was stupid as a general idea but a few more volleys might have made the uruks think twice.

I see... Long time past since I saw TTT.

Senator

It's still a very good film, so I heartily recommend rewatching it.