Thread: My opinion.

Default My opinion.

I'll going to talk about this mod in overall, broading terms, and just put out as much information as I can.

First off, I would like to say that this mod is very enjoyable, the thought of being able to conquer the whole world is extremly exciting, and you have done a very, very good job at realizing such. Each faction feels right, and I enjoy my current campaigns. You are clearly a gifted Body sculptor, the asian factions are beautiful.

I have noticed that in battles terran is overly large. I do enjoy the curves, but perhaps to much. Sometimes it's so high up that you can't move, the enemy spawns at a place you can't reach. Map does look nice though. Perhaps cutting heights in half would help this problem.

Now, your recuitment method is a double edged sword. I really do like being able to recuit local troops, it has a Europa Barbaroum feel to it, and I deeply enjoy that. However, I do not like being unable to recuit my own factions troops elsewhere, it's really kind of weird. I think a way to fix this was to merge the two. You can recuit local troops, but not the best of them, but abroad you can recuit some of your local and medium troops, but not your best. Even better would be a distance gap. China for intances, should be able to build there heavy troops in japan, and most of asia, medium in india, russia, and the middle east, while in europe they can only build light troops and such. It's just kind of distressing you can't recuit the same troops anywhere. I do understand the culture thing, but still, a little saddening.

Another problem is that I hate seeing poland and scotland dying so quietly. I think every faction should have at least 4 family members, or even better, historial faction trees. I think having four family members for every faction would avert some factions suddenly dying. And I kind of wish Venice had a family tree.

Also, the village idea is not something I quite agree with. I perfer Mining, Double or triple the worth of mines.

Now, as for overall economy, I think trade is way, way to high. As china I beleive if I remember correctyly, I could spawn 20 full stacks of men, maybe 30, currently making 50 K a year. I think cutting trade in half (But around double of normal) Would be ok. Then again, china did get alot of trade...

Overall, this mod is amazing, I enjoy playing it, and am loving it. With a bit of ironing out, it could win awards!

P.S Japanese have no cannons... for some reason. I might edit the file myself.

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

Default Re: My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovanicus View Post
    I have noticed that in battles terran is overly large. I do enjoy the curves, but perhaps to much. Sometimes it's so high up that you can't move, the enemy spawns at a place you can't reach. Map does look nice though. Perhaps cutting heights in half would help this problem.
    The only point I can agree with you I tried crusaders campaign when I first downloaded this mod,playing as acre,I thought I was somewhere in Tibet but not in arabian peninsula.And Edessa was in some kind of...crater.There are lots of these craters along the whole map btw...

First off, I would like to say that this mod is very enjoyable, the thought of being able to conquer the whole world is extremly exciting, and you have done a very, very good job at realizing such. Each faction feels right, and I enjoy my current campaigns. You are clearly a gifted Body sculptor, the asian factions are beautiful.
    Most of the Asian units were not made by me but by other modders who let me use their work. They deserve the credit for their hard work.

I could try making the map_heights.tga darker to lower the terrain. Which campaigns would this be helpful.

Now, your recuitment method is a double edged sword. I really do like being able to recuit local troops, it has a Europa Barbaroum feel to it, and I deeply enjoy that. However, I do not like being unable to recuit my own factions troops elsewhere, it's really kind of weird. I think a way to fix this was to merge the two. You can recuit local troops, but not the best of them, but abroad you can recuit some of your local and medium troops, but not your best. Even better would be a distance gap. China for intances, should be able to build there heavy troops in japan, and most of asia, medium in india, russia, and the middle east, while in europe they can only build light troops and such. It's just kind of distressing you can't recuit the same troops anywhere. I do understand the culture thing, but still, a little saddening.
    The problem with this is that there would not be a large enough population to supply these troops. For example if England was to conquer France they wouldn't be able to recruit billmen or longbowmen because these weapons are not common in France, so there would be very few Frenchmen who could use them. Historically speaking most armies had to train their own soldiers in their home regions and sent them to their colonies as they were unable to train these soldiers in foreign lands.

Another problem is that I hate seeing poland and scotland dying so quietly. I think every faction should have at least 4 family members, or even better, historial faction trees. I think having four family members for every faction would avert some factions suddenly dying. And I kind of wish Venice had a family tree.
    How do these factions die? Are they conquered or do they just suddently end?

Family trees are difficult to make because you have to research who was the current ruler, who were their children, and often who were their parents, uncles and aunts, and cousins. So making a family tree with 4 people is much more difficult than making one that only contains two people (it's often difficult to just find a suitable faction heir in some campaigns). Though you are free to remake the family trees and post them as a mod in this forum.

The Doge of Venice was elected, so a family tree wouldn't be historically accurate.

Also, the village idea is not something I quite agree with. I perfer Mining, Double or triple the worth of mines.
    I'll have to check how much the mines make and how long they take to pay for themselves before increasing how much money them make.

Now, as for overall economy, I think trade is way, way to high. As china I beleive if I remember correctyly, I could spawn 20 full stacks of men, maybe 30, currently making 50 K a year. I think cutting trade in half (But around double of normal) Would be ok. Then again, china did get alot of trade...
    Some research I read read stated that China, Persia, and the Ottoman Empire were very wealthy, so it's not unhistorical. Also in the 1547 campaign most nations start with their trade buildings at the upper levels, so they represent the maximium a faction can make.

P.S Japanese have no cannons... for some reason. I might edit the file myself.
    I didn't realise the Japanese had cannons so I didn't give them any. They'll be in the next update.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

General responding time!

The main campaign of yours that I am trying (And will do most, if not all my testing on) Is the empire campaign. It strikes out as the most unique and excellent.

Indeed, the more you think about it, the more I can see the logic to your ways and recuitment. It is indeed a very interesting system, and given this game has slow years, I am leaning more to concur with your statement. However, would it not be possible over a few years to train up people in it? Perhaps you can make a slow to build building to train local troops of the faction type?

As for family trees, I've seen Poland die in one turn, when they have mutiple lands, and I've seen a 10 city france suddenly die. I might be willing to do that research, and could you not for a stop-gap until then just clone the current faction heirs and make two more just change the name? Seroiusly, I am very tempted to do the research, though my own modding skill only goes to unit hangers on, unit stats, and buildings.

Well it's kind of distressing to see mines and be unable to get any money from them, and vanilla mining rates are far to low. If you doubled them, or even tripled them, that would be very nice. The village idea is just a bit to weird to me.

But were china and the ottoamans so wealthy they could have faught off all of europe? Seems a bit weird to watch the ottmans just smash into france like "Oh... I'm sorry my 10 stack is in the way", I still wish trade was cut in half or something along those lines, then again more faction memembers could help.

I've played Kessen (A japanese tactical game taking place smack dab in the period of your mod), and it is considred very accurate. The game has hundreds of japanese cannon on the battlefield at once, not to mention arcuebuses. So, I think the Japanese should have acess to all the cannons in the game besides the Grand bombard, and maybe the culverin. Also japanese gunners would be nice (Or maybe I have them and did not notice, can't remember...)

Indeed, the more you think about it, the more I can see the logic to your ways and recuitment. It is indeed a very interesting system, and given this game has slow years, I am leaning more to concur with your statement. However, would it not be possible over a few years to train up people in it? Perhaps you can make a slow to build building to train local troops of the faction type?
    While I could add this type of building it would have to be regions specific. For example it should not be possible to recruit Gothic Knights in China or the Middle East, nor Chinese Rocket Cavalry in America.

As for family trees, I've seen Poland die in one turn, when they have mutiple lands, and I've seen a 10 city france suddenly die. I might be willing to do that research, and could you not for a stop-gap until then just clone the current faction heirs and make two more just change the name? Seroiusly, I am very tempted to do the research, though my own modding skill only goes to unit hangers on, unit stats, and buildings.
    Some people have reported a problem with their faction being unable to adopt, promote, or marry new generals, so this could be why some factions suddenly collapse (as I don't know why this is occuring I cannot fix it). If this problem is causing factions to fail then cloning the faction heirs will not help as the factions will only surive a few years longer due to the younger heirs. I also don't want to make up people because I am striving to make this mod historically accurate, so I don't want to invent people.

You can research family trees if you want but be warned that if a campaign contains 30 factions you will have to spend a lot of time searching each family tree to find enough relatives (then repeat it for the other 8 campaigns). Also don't post lots of information about each faction and expect me to remake the family trees for you. If you want more accurate family trees you will have to make them (I can provide you with a guide if you want).

Well it's kind of distressing to see mines and be unable to get any money from them, and vanilla mining rates are far to low. If you doubled them, or even tripled them, that would be very nice. The village idea is just a bit to weird to me.

But were china and the ottoamans so wealthy they could have faught off all of europe? Seems a bit weird to watch the ottmans just smash into france like "Oh... I'm sorry my 10 stack is in the way", I still wish trade was cut in half or something along those lines, then again more faction memembers could help.
    I'll raise this as a separate topic with a poll to see if there is a general concensus that mines should make more money and trade should be less (changing trade can be difficult as it is influenced by the faction leader's authority).

I've played Kessen (A japanese tactical game taking place smack dab in the period of your mod), and it is considred very accurate. The game has hundreds of japanese cannon on the battlefield at once, not to mention arcuebuses. So, I think the Japanese should have acess to all the cannons in the game besides the Grand bombard, and maybe the culverin. Also japanese gunners would be nice (Or maybe I have them and did not notice, can't remember...)
    I haven't played Kessen so I'll have to check it out. I always though that cannons were rare in Japan, do you know of any battles were they used cannons? The Japanese gunners are called Teppou Ashigaru.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

I concur with your top statement, but you should be able to build faction troops with like a 20 turn building, depending on how far you are away from the homeland.

I think the only one I would mod would be the empires one, since it's the one that interests me the most. I might take up your offer, since really I have a month before school starts, and I could use something like that to do with my spare time.

And as for the final, I'm looking through wikipedia and I can't find it, they seemed to use cannons mostly for breaking down walls and little else... perhaps the japanese don't have enough cannons to use or perhaps you should just give them catapults?

Um also this mod makes gun powder weapons Useless and weak which really sucks, i edited all of the unit stats myself but the game crashes after a few turns, but it works for custom. also this mod made the monster bombard really weak, which in real life it is very powerful, i made changes to the projectiles and i made the monster bombard like it was in real life, over powered.