Thread: Countries that win battles but lose wars

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

Default Countries that win battles but lose wars

The following is just a musing, and I hope the TWC community helps me flesh this discussion about military history out a bit more.

It seems to me in the discussion of military history, people talk about the fiercest warriors, most stunning victories, armies with best weaponry. Some countries are unfairly labeled weak for defeats or setbacks at key battles, even if those countries were able to win long-term strategic victory. Other nations are glorified for their military prowess and victories, even if they eventually lose a war or cause so much damage to their economy/infrastructure that they cease to be a great power.

Some examples:

Sparta vs Athens - The Spartans are legendary warriors unlike the Athenians, who are best remembered for their cultural pursuits. But today Athens is still a major city while Sparta is little more than a tourist attraction.

America vs Great Britain - With some notable exceptions such as Yorktown, the British army dominated many of the battles during the American Revolution. But the American colonists in the end prevailed strategically, forcing England to give up 13 very prosperous colonies.

America vs Vietnam - Once again, big power (this time America) dominates smaller nation's forces on the battlefield. The Americans never suffer a major military defeat like Yorktown, and the so-called defeat during the Tet Offensive was actually a major victory for American forces (the Viet Cong fail to hold any major cities and the resistance movement is virtually wiped out). Yet this is the only strategic defeat the US has ever suffered and still the war haunts American culture.

Germany vs France - Germany spanks France in the Franco-Prussian War, bloodies France in WW I, and takes the whole place over in WW II. Germans gain notoriety for being some of the finest and best equipped soldiers in history; the French become labeled as cowards and incompetents. Yet strategically, the French regain their independence and in the end the Germans are the ones with an occupied country.

Just a few examples - there are many more I know. Anyhow, I was wondering why nations can win almost every battle yet lose a war. Is it lack of a clear strategic plan (Germany taking on everyone in WW II, America trying to "stop communism" in Vietnam); problems with command and control; political motivations; lack of will on one side to keep fighting when the other side refuses to accept defeat? Would it have made a huge difference if America waged a total war on North Vietnam, or if England had gone after the 13 colonies with the same rabid ferocity that English troops showed against the rebelling Indian sepoys or the Jacobite uprising in Scotland?

Do some countries deserve a break in history for accomplishing strategic goals, even if their soldiers made a pathetic showing in combat? On the flip side, are "legendary" forces such as the German stormtroopers, American Green Berets, the Spartans overrated because their country lost the war in the end?

Carthage during Hannibal's times qualifies for winning battles and losing the war. And the Byzantine empire, during emperor Heraklius times.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnęte Homme.

England crushes France's nobility at Sluys, Crecy, Poitier, Agincourt, Cravant, (along with Scots) ...

And ends up losing all possessions on the continent save Calais

There is one thing that you have to point out. The fact that the people who defend their nation cannot loose the war no matter how badly they loose the battles. So eventualy, even if they killed much greater number of defenders, the conquerors have to withdraw. Once they do, they are automaticaly beaten. So, in general, conquerors can't win
    Sve je sranje osim pišanja

Quote Originally Posted by Count of Montesano
    Germany vs France - Germany spanks France in the Franco-Prussian War, bloodies France in WW I, and takes the whole place over in WW II. Germans gain notoriety for being some of the finest and best equipped soldiers in history; the French become labeled as cowards and incompetents. Yet strategically, the French regain their independence and in the end the Germans are the ones with an occupied country.
    ¨

This one doesn't really hold water, for one that's three wars not one. Secondly, Germany is no longer occupied country. And thirdly, Germany is one of the leading industrial powers in the world, more so than France.

Germany is easily the best example in the 20th century. They won a lot of the battles but lost all the wars. Carthage during the second punic war is the best ancient example, and perhaps even the best example of all time.

On the other side of the fence we have Austria, which lost most of the battles and almost all of the wars but suffered very little for it!
    "In war, with its enormous friction, even the mediocre is quite an achievement" - Moltke

Quote Originally Posted by Mclane23
    There is one thing that you have to point out. The fact that the people who defend their nation cannot loose the war no matter how badly they loose the battles. So eventualy, even if they killed much greater number of defenders, the conquerors have to withdraw. Once they do, they are automaticaly beaten. So, in general, conquerors can't win
    *couhg* Romans *cough*

I have to agree with the previous poster. History is full of peoples who fought and still lost their countries: Kurds, Scots, Burgundians, Aztecs, Incas, Sioux, Sikhs...
    "In war, with its enormous friction, even the mediocre is quite an achievement" - Moltke

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Minus
    Burgundians,
    burgundians aren't really a "nation", more like a feudal faction, but you're right for the toher exemples.
    Another one which should be immediately obvious to the RTW players we all are: the gauls .
    Last edited by Sidus Preclarum; June 27, 2005 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Minus
    Germany is easily the best example in the 20th century. They won a lot of the battles but lost all the wars. Carthage during the second punic war is the best ancient example, and perhaps even the best example of all time.
    All=2.
    Furthermore, the difference between a battle and a war by 1900's was no longer as clear as it had been in previous few thousand years, Total War and all that shite.

On the other side of the fence we have Austria, which lost most of the battles and almost all of the wars but suffered very little for it!
    Yeah right, you know they did have an empire before WWI...

i think it's a bit... well... incorrect to claim that austria lost almost 'all' its wars or battles. austria had its military successes, as well as it had its defeats. no empire can hold on to its territories if it only loses all the time. anybody interested in the CV of Prince Eugen of Savoy? he served under 3 different austrian emperors, won battles against the turks and in the war of spanish succession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_of_Savoy

i chose him because he is austrias most famous general, but even at the very star of the habsburgs reign in austria (with rudolph being elected emperor of the HRE), they had to fight for what should later become the very core of their empire.

(against ottokar przemysl (sp?), battle on the 'marchfeld' -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...d_Jedenspeigen
    an interesting fact about the battle: it is said to have been decided by a flanking charge of about 50 austrian/imperial knights... since the visors of the enemy knights didn't allow much sideward view, they must have been quite shocked and horrified by this manoeuver, especially since it was thought of as 'un-knightly', more of an ambush than a flanking manouever..)

there's much much more from medieval times to the times of Prince Eugen, ups and downs (30 years war, bla bla, wallenstein, bla bla, dont want to cite every single war and stuff ) - they had their victories - no empire is maintained or even enlarged by timidity

and if memory serves me well, and if you let me put it like this, the austrians were the first to defeat Napoleon in an open field battle (was there any such thing an spain? really dunno) - one might argue that blocking someones passage over a river and only winning closely might be easy, but at least this victory showed that napoleon was not invincible in an 'open battle' (yes, i know that's a very pro-austrian view of things)

Battle of Aspern end Essling - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aspern-Essling

that's just to show people that the military history of austria is not just a record of losses, and that there was a reason for the habsburgers having their empire (consider that every noble in europe was somehow related to the others, so by just marrying you didn't get any territories just like that - after the end of one noble blood line there were usually more contenders for the 'free' throne than just one... spanish and austrian war of succession spring to my mind)
    Last edited by Rupertel; June 27, 2005 at 05:06 PM.

Broad topic, you can't really generalize, but I think that one factor that sticks out is that military might is no guarantee for winning a war.

i personally dont think anything in this topic really fits with winning the battles but losing the war,

the only one i can think of is sparta during the pelopenisian wars, they beat the confederacy of delos but were so weakened that they could not unite and strengthen greece, allowing for the macedonian invasions

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    Broad topic, you can't really generalize, but I think that one factor that sticks out is that military might is no guarantee for winning a war.
    Of course not. Conquering and military strategy is just a part of it. Once an area is conqured the real tricky part comes. Keeping the conqured people from revolting, create an efficient system of government and navigating the politics is of vital importance. Failing to do this is what have caused many empires to fall.
    "Festina lente" - Make haste slowly