Thread: Rebellions

Default Rebellions

So this happens to me basically everytime i continue from the 60% victory mark....What happens is mass rebellion either from being excommunicated or from tax. But when i check those provinces they go like 150-200 loyalty...When i press shift it goes red, but i right click and check its loyalty it say its totally fine, i dont get this. Is this a bug? is the game intentionally screwing my up? Is this what happenes on normal mode?

Default Re: Rebellions

This is a phenomenon known as the "bloat effect". It is peculiar to MTW and the jury is still out as to whether it's a bug or a feature - I lean towards it being a feature. It affects large factions that have conquered about 60% or more of the map. Bloat effect has three notable effects:

The first effect is that provincial loyalty will suddenly plummet.

Secondly diplomacy will become almost useless. Rival factions will refuse marriages, ceasefires and alliances.

Finally the AI will become much more aggressive towards your faction and your neighbours will probably gang up on you.

Many new players see their hard won empires crumble due to this and are taken by surprise.

The counter to the bloat effect is simple:

1) Train spies, valour them up and leave them in your provinces to maintain loyalty.

2) Build buildings that improve loyalty such as the first level town watch, church, watch towers and brothel.

3) Keep a garisson of about 200 men of the cheapest upkeep unit(s) (usually peasants in the vanilla game) in each province.

4) Always keep your faction leader centralised within the empire to maintain loyalty.

Excommunication is a separate issue. If you are getting excommunicated it is because your are ignoring the Pope's warnings. Excommunication combined with the bloat effect is bad news as it also effects the loyalty of your provinces. Your faction leader and army have joined the "Excommunicated Catholic" religion whereas your lands are following the Catholic religion. This essentially means that your faction leader and army become a different religion to the people which causes religious unrest.

If you attack fellow Catholics the Pope gives you two years to withdraw. If you do not withdraw within that time you will be excommunicated. If you do withdraw you will not be excommunicated, but you must not attack again for another ten years. To avoid this, choose your targets well. Invade and assault immediately then do not attack that same faction again for 10 years.
    Last edited by caravel; July 28, 2009 at 08:36 AM.

ahh ok so the game is infact screwing me up. I didnt know that the king should be placed on the middle of your empire, thanks for the info. I always thought i should bring him along with me armies.

The excom thing really hurts like , what can you do when all the remaining countries are england, france, sicily, italy? Ofc attack them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xellos_Moon View Post
    ahh ok so the game is infact screwing me up. I didnt know that the king should be placed on the middle of your empire, thanks for the info. I always thought i should bring him along with me armies.
    Be careful taking the faction leader into battle. This is a sure way to lose him. Only take him to battle if you have an heir and spare and then only having him chase routers and participate in battles where victory is a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Xellos_Moon View Post
    The excom thing really hurts like , what can you do when all the remaining countries are england, france, sicily, italy? Ofc attack them.
    As I said, you can counter the effects of excommunication and the bloat effect. See my previous post. In a nutshell though, you simply destroy those factions and annex them to your great empire. That's what the game is all about after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    This is a phenomenon known as the "bloat effect". It is peculiar to MTW and the jury is still out as to whether it's a bug or a feature - I lean towards it being a feature.
    I would see it also as an feature - but a very, very annoying feature most times.

The intention of the developers is clear. They wanted the game remaining challenging and thrilling until the end. Once you own 60% of the map there would be no strong enemies left, so they implented these uprisings. Otherwise you could crush the remaining factions easily - means you could get bored.

@Xellas Moon - you could also start a campaign with Glorious Achievements. When you donīt need to conquer the whole map these problem could be minimized.
    Last edited by Xerrop; July 30, 2009 at 03:56 AM.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

A note on excommunication: the pope only threatens excommunication when your faction (or the faction in question) is twice the size of its rival and is still attacking or at war.

However, once you've been warned, you can attack any other Catholic faction with impunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry X View Post
    A note on excommunication: the pope only threatens excommunication when your faction (or the faction in question) is twice the size of its rival and is still attacking or at war.

However, once you've been warned, you can attack any other Catholic faction with impunity.

ohh ok.