Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Re: Gameguide

Finally someone paying attention

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

I do try...

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Yepp, the map guide will be released very shortly we are just finishing up the business right now. On that map you can see all the settlements, and later as we develop it, you will then be able to see all the PSFs. I think you and all our Scandinavian fans will be very impressed.
    Sveariket begins with only 2 settlements and one of these will be an autonomy that the player will not have direct conrol over, which follows the pattern for many other factions. The way to gain more power for your faction is to develop your faction leader's authority which will then unlock the ability to build settlements from colonies or autonomy types into homeland types which give you full control. In order to strengthen your FL you will need to play wisely, and conquer. For Sweden, you will want to take rebel settlements, but you will definitely need to take Uppsala and gain the title trait 'King of Sweden' which in 1080 your FL will lack and will in fact belong to a rebel general. You will need to kill him and take the settlement and then hold onto it despite problems with law and order due to religious tensions. You may have to give in and build pagan structures in order to keep order and rule. This will in turn effect your character and may even get you excommunicated. On the other hand, you could try to strengthen your kingdom before taking the capital, as the king of Västra Götaland and then in time take Uppsala and impose Christian conversion which will be rocky to say the least.
    This kind of difficult journey will be typical for the Dominion game, as the mod name implies -it's all about how you rule and how you fight.
    For Sveariket, once you have settled Sweden and unified the kingdom you will still have to be aware of internal politics, if a weak leader comes to the throne you may find yourself losing everything you have built up and in the midst of a civil war have to fight your battles all over again. Oppurtunities in the east exist however, offering money and expansion which could allow you to raid and trade and strengthen your king without weakening Sweden itself which you intend to settle and develop. Lots to think about....
    now I am not a scandinavian fan but this sounds great
    if these are your plans for little faction how will it be to play the HRE
    Last edited by Haertelius Magnus; July 31, 2009 at 08:04 AM.

H.r.E.'s Avatar Ducenarius

why does venice only have 1 region? i thought they had crete too?

but nice that h.r.e. has 15 settlements

Where can I see the campaign map? Is it finished?

Quote Originally Posted by H.r.E. View Post
    why does venice only have 1 region? i thought they had crete too?
    Venice only gained Crete from the Romans after the Fourth Crusade in 1204.

And no, the campaign map is not finished. I believe that it's going to be posted here in the next couple of weeks. You can see a couple of screenshots of bits of it in the Dev's blogs though.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgios View Post
    Venice only gained Crete from the Romans after the Fourth Crusade in 1204.

And no, the campaign map is not finished. I believe that it's going to be posted here in the next couple of weeks. You can see a couple of screenshots of bits of it in the Dev's blogs though.
    Quite right, Giorgios, Venice being in possession of Crete in the year 1080 is a gross inaccuracy on behalf of vanilla MIITW.

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

I suppose they will represent it as some kind of a colony... dunno

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Walkman810i View Post
    I suppose they will represent it as some kind of a colony... dunno
    I'm almost certain its part of the Byzantine Empire in DOTS.

Yepp.
    Venice will have a very limited territory in 1080, as it was historically. It will have the ability to defend itself well however and with one of the strongest navies around it and a good economy it is likely to enter Dalmatia very quickly. It will have a good relationship with Byzantium and the HRE, and controlling the Adriatic will mean that they will be posed against Sicily for one.
    The Faction Leader also begins with the historical title King of Dalmatia

Expect a serious update here today

Expect a serious update here today

I'm expecting! But wait... by "today" do you mean in GMT today, or something else??

Default Re: Interactive Map Guide

Was this soon enough for you?

Also take into consideration that this is only the 199 settlements; with over 300+ PSFs the map will be thriving with areas to attack, defend, and control. Gotte and Hross are currently working on the PSF interactive map which I'm guessing will be stage two of the Interactive Map. By the time it is completely done it will be an unrivaled tool for modders and the community for -hopefully- years to come.
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X
    Like my comments, like me, like what I do?! If so, rep me and leave your name so I can rep you back!
    -Dominion of the Sword: Promotional, Traits, Admin Assistant, and Coder

lol Odin I guess you just checked the PSF maps out then? Think you are ready for that mate?

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Interactive Map Guide version 1

I absolutely love this!

lol Odin I guess you just checked the PSF maps out then? Think you are ready for that mate?
    Everyday I come to update on something for the mod is overwhelming; can't believe the wall we're scaling.
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X
    Like my comments, like me, like what I do?! If so, rep me and leave your name so I can rep you back!
    -Dominion of the Sword: Promotional, Traits, Admin Assistant, and Coder

Very impressive, guys! Since it's never too early to start constructive criticism, here's one; Iraklion was known as Chandax to the Byzantines. Or have you just written names like that for ease and clearness? Either way, this looks excellent, well done! When do we get some screenshots of the actual map? Soon I hope...

Thanks yes, constructive criticism and advice like that is very useful thank you.
    The campaign map screenshots will be coming regularly from now on. Hope this tool keeps you guys busy until then.

If I were you guys, I'd definitely remove the Papacy. It bears no significance militarily. Only of course religiously and politically. Since Total War is primarily a military representation, I believe it should be the aim to go for what is militarily important. Instead, it should be a rebel province and a major control point. If someone invades Rome, then nearly all Catholic factions should declare war on that faction and owning it should have major advantages as well as major disadvantages.

I should also argue that Syria, although an immensely important region economically and militarily, was not an independent state in technical terms. It was throughout most of this time period occupied by distant Islamic regimes that were not situated in Syria itself. Just before the time of the mod, the Fatimids seized Syria from the Hamdanid dynasty. Also, the later Ayyubid dynasty also controlled Syria from Cairo.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri