Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Interactive Map Guide version 1

Default Re: Map comments

Personally, I still think that north western and southern map is waste of area.
    I believe that it should confine itself to the Europe and west of Asia.

Dear HROSS,

Do You want to show as Rest of European map? Is there already citys, rivers, mountains, forests? Please tell us more. We can not wait any longer!
    Last edited by Monthy; May 29, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

"The truth is in the middle... perhaps so that all interfere" Aristotle

You won't have to. The 2nd preview is just around the corner. June 8th to be exact.
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X
    Like my comments, like me, like what I do?! If so, rep me and leave your name so I can rep you back!
    -Dominion of the Sword: Promotional, Traits, Admin Assistant, and Coder

Just to let you guys know. I am back to mapping again and you can look forward for some nice new screenshots from western Europe, which is largely done, including PSFs, cities on rivers and more! 8th June as stated :-)

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    Just to let you guys know. I am back to mapping again and you can look forward for some nice new screenshots from western Europe, which is largely done, including PSFs, cities on rivers and more! 8th June as stated :-)
    Nice to hear from you again, Resurrection!

that's awesome. Looking forward to the next preview.

I play: Third Age, Broken Crescent, Stainless Steel
    I wait for: Broken Crescent 1.5, The Last Kingdom, Dominion of the Sword

Great news.

And what about the central Europe? You will show us some regions? I'm very intresting and waiting for helping You with this part of map

"The truth is in the middle... perhaps so that all interfere" Aristotle

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Oh God... 5 day seem like a really long time...

Hello.Does the map extend East enough to incude Herat (please)? Herat was an Eastern outpost of Iranian (later Timurid ) civilisation and would be a nice "bookend"(focus)for the Eastern border.It appears that your map might just get there.........

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Quote Originally Posted by Husayn Bayqara View Post
    Hello.Does the map extend East enough to incude Herat (please)? Herat was an Eastern outpost of Iranian (later Timurid ) civilisation and would be a nice "bookend"(focus)for the Eastern border.It appears that your map might just get there.........
    our map is just short of Heret.. but we do pick up Nishapur as our eastern most settlement

Kyrre's Avatar Civis

Hi Resurrection!

First I have to tell that I think it is possible to display the PSF's names on the map. Possibly you could use the system beaming the red circle markers over several places of the map during the norman conquest tutorial. If you could find out how they are brought there from tga file - I assume via script - then you could include such as permanent markers. Creating each lettering uniquely into the source files would be a lot of work but everyone equipped with photoshop would be able to do them and no special skills were needed for that part of the job. I hope you understand what I mean.

Secondly I have got a map that shows the correct shoreline of the Netherlands and the south of the German bight during the beginning of your game. I marked the part of which I know that it has been corrected. Unfortunately the Jutland Peninsula shores aren't at an historically correct constitution on that map.

Third to the general layout of the map of Iceland.
    I think you should give your hight map a rework. Especially the shores of iceland and scotland look very toyish to me. Your current prifile on these places is merely like this:

While I think it should be like this:

You should flatten them a little to make it not look like painted rubber sleeves throuwn into the sea.
    And maybe add a little more pointy mountains there.

If I was not precise enough on certain issues please PM me!

Greetings and keep the great work going!

Edit:
    V

Considering Ensiferum below: Trondheim's name
    in the middle ages was Nidarós. And considering norway I think you should besides Nidarós add Karmøy/Karmsund as an important place (with Avaldsnes as PSF or Settlement) since it was the most important trading point and thus the most important strategic point of all norway and even gave the name to the nation (Karmsund = Nordvegen = Norway).
    Last edited by Kyrre; July 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM.

Foederatus

Icon5 How will norway look

Is trondheim added on the map,
    its a central place in norwegian viking history and was the capital for norway in the viking age.

And this i cant say for sure, but i think that the northern part of the swedish-norwegian border makes norway to thin. (I may be wrong here)

And please keep up the good work, looks like it will be my favorite mod
    Last edited by Ensiferum; July 14, 2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: He dont know how to fcking type

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Hælge Jørnsen View Post
    Hi Resurrection!

Third to the general layout of the map of Iceland.
    I think you should give your hight map a rework. Especially the shores of iceland and scotland look very toyish to me. Your current prifile on these places is merely like this:

While I think it should be like this:

You should flatten them a little to make it not look like painted rubber sleeves throuwn into the sea.
    And maybe add a little more pointy mountains there.
    The pics in the map thread are old, wait til you see the new ones.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Hælge Jørnsen View Post
    Hi Resurrection!

Secondly I have got a map that shows the correct shoreline of the Netherlands and the south of the German bight during the beginning of your game. I marked the part of which I know that it has been corrected. Unfortunately the Jutland Peninsula shores aren't at an historically correct constitution on that map.

some more links to Northsea coastline

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgur...%3D18%26um%3D1

1000 (I dont think that the Jutland coast is correct)
    http://images.google.de/imgres?imgur...%3Dde%26um%3D1

1360/1362

From the looks of it the coast did not change as dramatically as I thought. From the scale of the map it is almost hardly noticeable...

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

EarendilElenthol's Avatar Artifex

The north sea coast did change much. The floods washed away more than half of the coastline of Holland and Frisia at least. Before the floods of 1200 the was no Waddenzee, only some rivers. The same goes for the Jutlandic islands. But you may have to choose if you want the pre-1300 or after version. If you need some references, perhaps I can help.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

that would be really useful actually thanks.
    feel free to post here
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...85#post5601085
    Last edited by Hengest; July 19, 2009 at 08:04 AM.

Icon4 Interactive Map Guide version 1

Dominion of the Sword mod for MIITW announces the release of its groundbreaking Interactive Map Guide (IMG).

ACCESS THE I.M.G. HERE:
    http://dots.axesgame.com/map/

The guide is an online tool made specially by the DOTS team, mainly Göteborgare, using the Google Earth map to represent the culmination of over 2 years research, bringing to life an historically accurate portrait of the Middle Ages covered by our campaign.

Being fully interactive, you can zoom in or out of the Map Guide, and drag movement to see the full range of the thriving medieval world, from Iceland to Aden, from the Steppe to the Sahara.

Stage One is now active, allowing potential players of DOTS a preview of the coming campaign map. The IMG shows the Dominion's 199 settlements as well as our map range. It also shows the faction that controls each settlement at the start date which can be easily and instantly seen via the faction icon. In the case of the 'rebel' or Minor States faction ownership we can distinguish between Muslim, Catholic, Orthodox or Pagan settlement.

The research gives us some freedom to be able to adapt to the demands of gameplay practicalities, for instance we have over 400 control points which we will represent as PSFs (permanent stone forts) with different models such as monasteries, villages, cities or castles representing historical places we didn't have room for in the hardcoded settlement limit of 199. If we need to change a settlement from the current map, (which is likely since we do not want two settlements next to each other) we can then refer to our PSFs and swap these. So expect to see continual updates on the IMG over the next weeks as the actual campaign map nears completion and its own release.

Stage two is underway and will involve pop-up boxes for each settlement giving details for 1080 on tech tree levels, populations, garrison information and any faction members present. All information is historically supported.

In addition to this information we will be highlighting the significant importance of each settlement's role within its controlling faction. Dominion of the Sword uses a three level governmental system to represent grades of dominion for each faction over the territories they have conquered.

Homelands represent the settlements in direct control of the player and the faction as a whole, these are normal powerful settlements. The 2nd type are Autonomies, these are settlements ruled by vassals or powerful nobles who enjoy partial independence from your faction leader. These settlements although carrying your flag will not be in your control to recruit or contruct until your faction leader has asserted greater authority and developed his character. You can of course have some control over where the general/noble who governs the settlement is placed and where he goes. The third type is a Colony, this is to represent settlements that have been newly acquired from another religion or culture and has yet to be fully intergrated into your faction. Recruitment and construction options are extremely limited here.

These three types really modify what kind of control you have as a faction. For instance, a faction with 10 settlements of which most are autonomieswill not be as powerful as a faction with three homelands, or at least not powerful in the same way. These variables are exactly what the IMG is all about, introducing you to the unique depth and dynamics that set Dominion of the Sword apart from anything else you have ever played.

The IMG tool is not only intended for use as part of Dominion of the Sword but an active reference and library of unrivalled quality research for the entire community, not only for M2TW but for future games that will focus on the Medieval period.
    Last edited by Hengest; August 03, 2009 at 12:14 PM.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: Gameguide

Hi Hross! Good to see DOTS still going strong!

Interesting list, however you left out how many settlements Hungary will have.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Senator

Thanks for this -
    I think there will be a good and realistic spread of settlements across the map from the look of things..

Quote Originally Posted by \Vazul's Ghost/ View Post
    you left out how many settlements Hungary will have.
    What? Hungary's is in the game?!
    Thanks for pinting that out... 6 is the magic answer.