Thread: Athens vs. Sparta

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by visiar View Post
    Sparta was weaker then. In its golden ages it could have fought a lot harder.
    Pikemen > hoplite.

Pikemen were easier to recruit. They were paid and equiped by the nation, and fairly cheap (less armour).
    Hoplites were less common, since they were consisting of medium to rich folk. Expensive armour.

Sparta could have formed a big league, thus bigger army than Thebes.

Who knows who would win, someone should do a custom battle between spartan units and theban units, see who wins jokes.

Thebes was kinda smarter than Sparta, they made an army, to counter the Spartans. Spartans are too 'old fashioned'.

Quote Originally Posted by silentsam74 View Post
    Why Pelopidas rather than Epaminondas?
    Pelopidas was the one who formed the army, fended the Macedonians, beat the Spartans, and died by the Macedonians. He's the guy. Pelopidas was the general, Epaminondas was the a fellow statesman and general. I liked Pelopidas more, his character and history, mainly. (maybe im exaggerating his importance, )

Read Plutarch's "lives", there was one of Pelopidas, and maybe Epaminondas. It is really interesting, actually. My memory is rusty, I can't give too much detail.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; August 12, 2009 at 02:55 PM.