Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unit Mini Preview: Ildütei Saicud

Default Unit Mini Preview: Ildütei Saicud

Unit Mini Preview: Ildütei Saicud

Ildütei Saicud:
    Swordbearing freemen. After the great incursions west, the Mongolian hordes and their successor states held vast populations of myriad tribes and ethnic groups as subjects. Made up mainly of craftsmen and merchants, eastern militias would be raised by Mongolian local governors or Darughachi to defend settlements as levies or garrisons. Due to their social status they were allowed the right to bear a sidearm, but also had wealth enough to equip themselves with adequate gear and armour.

-Sumskilz
    Building upon the excellent work by the guys from the Rusichi mod, we’ve been able to create unique and historically accurate units for a number of factions. We thought you guys might want to see one such unit to hold you over until the next big Dev Blog. I based the appearance of the Ildütei Saicud on what we know about the look of the pre-Mongol Central Asian soldiers and combined it with some eastern Asian equipment introduced by the Mongols themselves.

This particular hairstyle, with the braids in the front and the rest of the head shaved, is typical of the Khitai who after having been expelled from China formed the Kara Khitai Khanate later to be incorporated into the Mongol empire. Many Khitai joined the Mongols peacefully. The Mongols found them useful because of their experience in dealing in the matters of settled people. In addition, their steppe pedigree lent them a degree of creditability. Many of the Ildütei Saicud would have been Turkic people who had been incorporated into settled life.

Traditional Altaic leather work.

Credits:

Model and Textures: Sumskilz incorporating the work of Ronin and Lance of the Rusichi mod.

Unit Concept and Description: Hross

Turkic Faces Bonus Image

Last edited by sumskilz; July 28, 2009 at 01:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Sanskrit_Bandit's Avatar Wielki Kniaź Wiślański

Default Re: Unit Mini Preview: Ildütei Saicud

amazing.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Great, actually a unit with very detailed and not glitched face! I must say I'm very impressed, since small details like these tell a very good modeller from bad one. Equipment looks quite raw and realistic, there is no ''Hollywood" there and yet it's distinct enough to actually tell if it's a particular unit on the battlefield or not. Again, I'm very impressed, +rep!

Though, I noticed you've typed in their description 'Swordbearing freemen'. Does that mean they wield spear as main weapon but can switch to sword weapon when needed, or is it simply a mistake?
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Does that mean they wield spear as main weapon but can switch to sword weapon when needed, or is it simply a mistake?
    Yeah, you can alt attack and they draw their sabres. We don't have an animation for the actual weapon switch, but when fighting with their sabres, their scabbards will be empty.

A sword is a status symbol and a side arm, but wouldn't really work to stop a cavalry charge on the steppe.
    Last edited by sumskilz; July 26, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Starlightman's Avatar Calling Card
    Artifex

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sumskilz again

________Team Member of CBURIGreat Conflicts 872-1071 ________
    Dominion of the Sword
    IGreece Playable & Improvement mod BETA
    _________ Roman Warship 50 B.C 1/250 scaleIAthenian Trireme _________

__________under the patronage of noble Okmin-san ___________

[COLOR=Red]
    "You can fool all of the people some of the time
    You can fool some of the people all of the time
    But you can't fool all of the people all of the time. "
    Abraham Lincoln, 1864

"There are three truths: my truth, your truth and the truth."
    Chinese Proverb

Originally Posted by Ferrets54
    It's relevent if you argue the Elgin Marbles should be returned to Athens because they were "stolen", because the Athenians themselves stole the money to produce them.

Beautiful unit + rep.

Really fantastic, I love the armor I think its really beautiful. Finally no more plate armor and here we get some excellent lemellar and leather armor. Great job
    'Sup Gentlemen...
    "Militant" Atheist (Just kidding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A
    My Political Profile http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8819965#post8819965

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Nice hope to see more mini previews like this

And +rep of course

amazing

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Awesome work

nice

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Beautiful unit

Come on, let's be honest - very minor alterations to the original model/texture. Rep should go to the Rusichi boys, imho. A number of mods are now using their artwork (with permission), just tweaking it a bit and then previewing "new units".

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Yelü Dashi View Post
    Come on, let's be honest - very minor alterations to the original model/texture. Rep should go to the Rusichi boys, imho. A number of mods are now using their artwork (with permission), just tweaking it a bit and then previewing "new units".
    Weren't Rusichi credited in first post anyway? In that case tell me who originally made the model and textures before tweaking and I will rep the exact person. I'm not going to rep entire Rusichi team since I didn't play that mod and not intending to.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

nice work, The Great Khan approves
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Sephynos's Avatar Semisalis

Amazing work! Really nice
    I believe that to meet the challenges of our times, human beings will have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. Each of us must learn to work not just for oneself, one's own family or nation, but for the benefit of all humankind. Universal responsibility is the key to human survival. It is the best foundation for world peace.

Model and Textures: Sumskilz incorporating the work of Roland and Lance of the Rusichi mod
    I think you meant Ronin and Lance, they post rarely on TWC but they are registered. Tchouk does most of the liaison stuff on their forum. I just think 'incorporating' is a bit rich. Suggests you are 'incorporating' their work into something else ?

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

I'm actually with Yelü's opinion here.

Nice stuff, but I the changes appear to be quite minor.

yeap I have same opinion as Yelü also try to do your own models and textures dont copy it

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Product Designer

great looking units
    DESARC92 / Product Design
    Once known as MarcelP | Product Designer | Under the Patronage of Legio
    Marcel's Modder's Resources | Tutorials | The Graphics Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast