Thread: Realistic population

PurPul's Avatar Tiro

Icon5 Realistic population

I can't really play a campaign on high or ultra unit sizes,(My graphics card couldn't support it anyway) but because of the towns small population. Every unit recruited would drastically reduce the town's population.If i'm right, Augustus declared that his Empire's population in 28 B.C. was 4,063,000 people. This is not shown very accuratly in-game. Source: http://www.unrv.com/empire/roman-population.php

So I was wondering if the city upgrade benchmarks were hardcoded, and if not, making them more realistic would be a great step for realism.

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Realistic population

Yes they are.
    And there are some things to be said against realistic population numbers, for instance that it would be impossible to lower the numbers by recruiting and disbanding units, something that has saved me from many a rebellion.
    If towns get to empty just fill them with colonists from a city without that problem.

Based on the same question, how do you increase the number of people entering the cities population, like EB said the ai have "Infinite" population, i want to increase for more battles?

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

EB's script moniters population and adds it where necessary. But EB is strictly a 1-turn mod (or more). A 0-turn mod needs to have a steady increase in population constantly, as the AI is able to recruit units very quickly. This is part of the balancing we are doing to make sure the AI doesn't 'strip' cities of population, and that there is always enough to provide troops.

Increasing population growth is as simple as putting this setting in each core_building:

population_growth_bonus bonus 8

The number '8' represents a 4% population growth....each number being 1\2 of one percent.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Ok, thanks for the information.

wast at some point the popluation of rome was 1,000,000?
    The die is cast- Caesar

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by mattfriend0 View Post
    wast at some point the popluation of rome was 1,000,000?
    aye and i think it went up to 1.5m in its height
    You look great today.

i like the population the way it is if you think about it he population number is the number of able-bodied male citizen. when you recruit the number goes down for every man recruited so if you say that every able-bodied man has a wife and at least 1 child 2 elderly parents and 2 elderly in-laws a huge city of 45,000 can easily equal 205,000 citizens which isnt too far off

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGlory View Post
    i like the population the way it is if you think about it he population number is the number of able-bodied male citizen. when you recruit the number goes down for every man recruited so if you say that every able-bodied man has a wife and at least 1 child 2 elderly parents and 2 elderly in-laws a huge city of 45,000 can easily equal 205,000 citizens which isnt too far off
    that sounds the most realistic. and infact is how its meant to be. since you can have a city of say 10 thousand people and end up recruiting 9,500 men out of it. and i doubt females were that rare..
    You look great today.