Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on suicide?

wonderless's Avatar Decanus

Default What is your opinion on suicide?

I'd like to know everyone's opinion.
    My friend killed himself the other day.
    I find it rather selfish.

Default Re: What is your opinion on suicide?

its a part of human nature. while its sad certainly, its just the way things go. some people just feel empty or emotionally destroyed and would rather not continue on. personally i dont see it as selfish but people are entitled to feel that way.

wonderless's Avatar Decanus

But if you kill yourself, your leaving family and friends behind.
    You're putting them through grief, taking away their happiness.
    Can't their problems be fixed with therapy and stuff?

gambit's Avatar Gorak

Therapy isnt like prescribing antibiotics to an illness. The human mind is unstable, fragile and it has emotions that purposefully defy reason. Some people just cant be "fixed" and life is rough, it's not surprising people would be willing to end it.

It really depends on the situation. The teenager who just has a bunch of angst is more than likely selfish. The 80 year old man who has lived his time and has no real close loved ones anymore is a bit more understandable.
    Last edited by gambit; July 24, 2009 at 12:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

nopasties's Avatar Campidoctor

I've had some serious bouts of depression. At some point the depression itself can drown your ability to think about others and the fact that pain takes time. Suicide can be a very consuming idea, different people do it for different reasons.

People who choose suicide later in life like to prevent the experience of terminal illness and such have right to choose this.

People who are young and commit suicide, I would not say it is selfish. This may seem like a semantical difference but depression and other mental illness can reinforce a self-absorbed view of the world and life. Too many people are impulsive and choose to avoid the pain, memories and what not. The process of therapy is different for everyone, some people can pop out of their problems in a short time and others will never get real relief. Unfortunately suicide does leave behind a family and friends. Anger at your friends choice is normal but I see it that people who choose suicide at a young age are not selfish but are making a mistake. They have not given life a chance yet, some people get lucky and do find happiness however fleeting it may be at times.

audio clip
    http://www.prx.org/pieces/7533-four-...en-gate-bridge

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

therapy=crap

you have to put yourself in the situation of the person who killed themself....some people its completely justified (in my opinion) and then with others, i agree. are being selfish IE:OH MY MOM WONT LET ME TAKE THE CAR OUT TO A PARTY THAT IM GOING TO GET WASTED AT!! WAAHH!! *killself*
    You look great today.

It is selfish, very selfish. I also find it cowardly. There will always be something to turn everything around. People don't value life as much anymore.

Well it depends on why the person kills him/herself dosen't it? Do they do it because they are depressed or for a manly reason, like killing yourself during the Nuremberg trials to avoid the gallows, or in a Kamikaze way? Or how about people that truly don't have any reason to live, or do it to save/help loved ones from something? Either way I don't have that low opinion of suicide mainly for my nihilist way of thinking.

nopasties's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ashashi View Post
    It is selfish, very selfish. I also find it cowardly.
    That is making quite an assumption about people. Bravery is antithetical to suicidal ideation after awhile. You can characterize it so during the begining process of people becoming suicidal but after a certain period of time whatever causes people to reach such a state as this it takes on a different nature. One becomes delusion and thought is pathologial, it is a sickness. Bravery has nothing to do with that level of pathology.

NONOPUST's Avatar Primicerius

Tbh I have been in a rough spot in my life where I contemplated suicide everyday. Two things kept me from even trying it; love of the people around me, and me being an atheist(we only have one life, and theres nothing after death, and that scares me).

Of course there are different circumstances. Most of the ones I hear about though, includes young adolescents or adults that do not think of the consequences. Life just "sucks" for them. They only think of other people missing them, maybe a memorial in the yearbook, people taking time away from their lives to think about them, and not that once it's over, they won't be here to see that. In this way it is selfish and cowardly.

But as is stated there are different cases, in which my opinion varies.

Hope that makes sense, I'm tired

Trey's Avatar Primicerius

I 100% understand why someone might do it.

It is also one of the most selfish acts that one could commit. In order to end the pain, they instead create terrible pain in those around them.
    for-profit death machine.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Ashashi View Post
    It is selfish, very selfish. I also find it cowardly. There will always be something to turn everything around. People don't value life as much anymore.

So thats what you wanna do after school.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by nopasties View Post
    That is making quite an assumption about people. Bravery is antithetical to suicidal ideation after awhile. You can characterize it so during the begining process of people becoming suicidal but after a certain period of time whatever causes people to reach such a state as this it takes on a different nature. One becomes delusion and thought is pathologial, it is a sickness. Bravery has nothing to do with that level of pathology.
    I just think it is cowardly, unless they have schizophrenia. Any person who lost their job and is forced to get social welfare and then commits suicide is cowardly.

As Gambit said, the wise bloke he is <3, is true. If an 80 year old man does it is easier to understand, still isn't the right thing to do.

I doubt that if your seriously contemplating suicide you will be thinking about other people's feelings. You'd be so ed up and just want a way out that it would seem like the right thing to do, regardless of the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K_1 View Post
    They tried to protest in Glasgow and someone was raped at their camp. Moral of the story is children: do not camp overnight in Glasgow City Centre.
    Post of The Year 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Farmathar View Post
    knowing what is about to happen I whisper in her ear,
    “do you know what makes us different from other animals?, We follow our prey, a lion or a tiger gets bored and follows something else, we persist” -------------------------------------------------------------------
    yhea i once did that, to a girl in higschool, i pressured her until she agreed to go sailing in a 10 ft baue, but she almost drowned so i no longer try that

It is wrong to do suicide, when you don't know what comes next after this life.
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

I put it down to a serious mental illness, unless say they're dying of a painful terminal disease or something of that nature.
    The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead.

It is pu.. kitten.
    "Between the lips and the voice something goes dying."

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Personally, the people shouldn't do it. It may be bad, but others are worse off and hundreds of times happier. If they would try to change their life around, maybe it would work some.

I dunno, it just seems dumb to me.

I think everyone has the inherent right to live and die by their own wishes. If one feels that life is not worth living anymore, why should one stay alive in misery merely for ones family? If that has value for a person, then it would be a reason not to kill oneself, and if one would still commit suicide then obviously family wasn't enough of a reason to stay alive.

In the end, everyone should decide for themselves how to live and die and no-one has the right to dictate that to others.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

As everyone else has said: it depends on the situation

The only justifyable situation is if you have a terminal disease, thats going to leave you crippled or entombed in your body.

If not though you're leaving family behind who will suffer guilt and pain at your expense, all because you couldnt handle life. Life is harsh. My family has always suffered from major depression. 5 people in my family have commited suicide in the past 40 years. And they all left behind family and friends who suffer to this day because they couldnt handle the stress that comes with everyone's life. And for that I will not forgive them.
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    "A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!"
    -Andrew Ryan

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast